Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:27 AM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Talking Where is everyone.........

.......SNOWED IN????

Check in and say HEY!!

Debbie
Old 02-17-2003, 10:51 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Default i've been wondering the same thing!!!

not even the newly surgeried ladies have checked in to let us know how they're doing!!!! hazel... prazn... hear that??

i just don't have anything to say right now. hard to believe, isn't it.. but it's true.

oh. i tried something new for breakfast. those veggie fake sausage patties. 80 calories per pattie, 10 grams of protein. so it's about the same calories as an egg, less fat, and more protein. it wasn't too bad, but was definitely helped by a little cheese on top,.

a nice change from eggs and cottage cheese.

we're approaching 18 inches of snow right now, i've kept the deck clear so the dog can go out, and the back porch as well so that we can open the door... and that's about as far as i've gotten. or am likely to for quite awhile!!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #3  

We have no snow. (YIPPEE!!!)

I have been formulating a new food plan and exercise routine since I am at six weeks today. I started walking last week and am almost up to 2 miles. It's not a lot but I've been very low energy since the surgery so to me it's a milestone (forgive the pun).

Food is up and down. I'm not having difficulty getting protein in, I'm having difficulty REMEMBERING to get protein in. I do better when I get a notebook and write everything down so I am doing that this weekend.

ESSIE (who used to live back east)
LAP RNY 1/6/03 -27
Old 02-18-2003, 10:15 AM   #4  
- 50 lbs!!! 3/17/03

Sorry all but I have been pretty sick these past few days. I had a fever that wouldn't go away - I had to go in on Sunday afternoon and have them pull the drain - as they thought that might be it. I was having 102 fevers on tylenol and oxycontin. I was pretty much checked out for a few days. My doctor was a bit baffled yesterday - with everything closed and 24 inches of snow - I'm sure he felt just as helpless as I did. Anyway - hubby called the prayer chain and at some point last night the fever broke. I woke up in a pool of sweat. Ugh! But - I feel amazing. Sure does make me appreciate health and the reasons I did this in the first place.

I am going to the clinic today for my post op check. They are going to draw some blood work and do a urine test to make sure I don't have any infections - but I think I obtained the 'virus' from one of my little darlings.

I am doing OK with eating. I haven't had any nausea at all - I mostly battle gas. I still can't 'burp' right and I'll spare all of you the details of the other way to expell gas! :O)

I am having a bit of difficulty with the protein drinks. I'm basically just tired of them. It's funny in my delirium from the oxycontin I have dreams where I 'forget' that I had the surgery and finish a candy bar or something the kids have left around. It scares the crap out of me. I've had one episode of dumping from the tylenol. I thought I was dying. I don't EVER want to have that again.

Did anybody have taste changes after surgery? I am finding it difficult to tolerate the S/F jello, crystal light, and S/F popsicles. Everything tastes way too sweet!

I'll update after clinic appt - and hopefully will be able to post my first loss. :O)
Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

wow!!! thanks for the update!!! now, let me talk a little about what's been going on. first. you did not dump from the tylenol. BUT, it more than likely got stuck and blocked the outlet and made you sick as a dog. dumping is that physiological reaction from too much sugar or fat. blockage will also make you wish you were dead, but the symptoms are a little different.

SO. make sure you get the SMALLEST pills you can find. those caplets are way too big. so are the liquigels. i've actually gone to children's tylenol and advil and motrin [when allowed] and taken enough to make up an adult dose. also, for awhile, don't take any pill whatsoever on an empty stomach. take it with your protein drink.

as for the gas. yep. it's a problem. and it's because your system is still healing. this is not the time to experiment too much with new foods. stick to the soft/clear whatever diet for now. it'll pass [and please forgive the pun!]]

now the protein drinks. what are you using? did you know that you can add other stuff to them to help the taste? SF syrups [yes, even SF chocolate syrup!], SF/FF pudding mix. instant coffee. crystal light.

and here's an egg noggy-thing some folks in my group like. blend 3 servings of egg beaters with 8 oz skim milk. add a little sweetener and cinnamon and nutmeg.

and yes. your tastes DO change after the surgery. it takes some getting used to. in fact, pasta STILL doesn't taste good to me, and this is a year later and i'm a nice italian girl. very very odd. but that's ok. we seem to lose our taste for carbs, which we're not supposed to eat anyway. it's a good thing!

so... keep us posted!!!! and i hope they find the reason for the infection soon. if it was something your kids dragged home [remember when kids dragged home kittens and puppies? much better than an infection, IMO!!!!] that would be great. hope it's not something more interesting...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 PM   #6  

Sorry I have been so busy that I have not had a chance to post much, you know between the narcotics and shopping! Ok I shop because if I need to walk and I want to make it fun!

I have been doing great I started solid foods yesterday and it is going great! I am still a little sore, but not much pain so really I should stop taking the drugs but they are just too much fun, I am so into the slurred speech. (ok I am kidding)!

I will try to participate more often! I gotta go cook dinner for my family (4 sons and a husband). Oh I cooked my first meal since surgery all by myself yesterday and I am so proud!!

Hazel
02/05/03 & 02/06/03 (surgery dates)
282/268/140?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:22 PM   #7  

OK everyone we are at 7 days and counting!

John passed the pre-test with flying colors, and they will call Friday with the surgery time for Tuesday, February 25th!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

my goodness!!! how time has flown for you and john, luna. and hazel.. sounds like you've been too busy doing well to let us know!!!
Closed Thread