General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #1  

Default Anyone lost weight on Nutrisystem?

I'm thinking of purchasing Nutrisystem and would like to hear from anyone that has lost weight on it and how much they have lost.
gfallo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #2  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I did nutrisystem for about 4 months when I first started trying to lose weight. I think I lost about 30 lbs in that time, but I stopped because the food was pretty bad, but tolerable, it gave me horrific gas and I realized that I could do it on my own. I will say though that doing Nutrisystem was a critical step for me and I probably wouldn't be where I am today without it. I learned portion control and it got my weight loss started which really motivated me. If you can handle to foods and don't mind the prepackaged part of it, I'd say give it a try for a month and see how it goes. There is a website of a blog of a girl who did nutrisystem on her own and she put together just a bunch of simple recipes that you can mix and match to make sure you calories are the right range. I used here recipes for a while after NS and lost an additional 40 lbs with that. I think if you google amysmthr you'll find her blog. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I lost about 65 lbs on Nutrisystem in the early 90's (for a friends's wedding). After the wedding, the expense and the food (horrible I thought) just seemed unbearable. I also allowed myself to be discouraged by the few pounds I gained eating too much at the wedding. I fell into the same old "it's no use, why am I even trying" trap.

As to the food, I found it tolerable for the first three to four weeks, and each week after became worse and worse (though there were a few of the meals I really liked, so I ordered those a lot, but towards the end I found myself ordering meals I knew I hated just to combat the boredom).

If it's available and affordable to you, I'd recommend Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating instead. If you have to have it delivered to you, it's outrageously more expensive than if there's a distribution center near you. When you can pick up the food you order (twice a week), it's actually not much more expensive than Nutrisystem. The up side: the food is fresher and the only food you have to buy is skim milk. The down side: You don't get to choose your meals, though you can preview the menus on the website, and the menus are cycled every four or five weeks, so you never duplicate a meal more than once a month. Also, the fruit can be a bit under-ripe. If it was a piece of whole fruit that would ripen on the counter, I just took it out of the meal box and allowed it to ripen on the counter. Some fruits won't ever ripen after they've been refrigerated (and the foods all have been refrigerated on the delivery trucks and at the distribution sites). I usually bought a bag of small firm apples such as Braeburn or Fuji (refrigerated, they can stay crisp and tastey for a couple months), just so that I could swap out an apple if the fruit or fruit juice wasn't palatable (I'm not a fan of most fruit juices).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote