Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 12:39 PM   #1  

Question How do you start and how do you stay started?

If that subject lines makes any sense at all! I have had trouble starting anything. Now, if I were just out of control with food right now, that would be one thing. But, I'm not. I'm just blah. I am just living day to day *thinking* I need to start getting exercise, and eating healthier.

Tell me please how did you start, and what keeps you going?

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:32 PM   #2  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I started when I realised one day that my size 46-waist jeans were getting tights. Knowing that it was the biggest size that walmart carried, it was a huge reality check. I was scared that I would get so big that I wouldn't be able to find clothes that fit, and I also had just had pictures taken with my daughter, and realised exactly how big I had gotten.

I immediately started eating better and about 2 months into my weightloss journey, I started working out (I started walking right from the beginning though). I managed to really stay focused until Christmas, but since then I've really been unfocused and undisciplined. I'm personally going to kick my butt though, because I am over halfway there, and I've come too far to give up.

I look at pictures of me before, and then compare them to now -- that is my motivation to keep going. I have always disliked my body, and now I am starting to like it. I want to feel 100% confident when I go out, and more importantly, I want to like ME.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #3  
Searching

I knew I had to get back on the diet train when I went to put on one of my favorite summer dresses and it was so tight I could not zip it up(size 18!!!). I cried and cried. I am still not always finding it easy. But I love the way I feel when I excercise and I eat right.

Also this time there is nothing fad, low fat, high protein, or anything else. I am trying to figure out how to eat a balanced diet where food fuels me instead of eating for emotional reasons or boredom.

It makes me feel better and healthier and now its for me.
Miss Chris
Old 02-16-2003, 03:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i was the type who always complained about being overweight, but never did anything about it. then my wonderful boyfriend, who hates it when people aren't proactive about things, asked me,
"do you want to lose weight?"
"yes"
"i don't care if you do or don't, i just want you to be happy with yourself. are you happy with yourself?"
"no"
"then i'll help you do this for yourself. we're going to work out 5 times a week, and you'll go on a diet."

he was my personal trainer for the first few months when it was SO HARD. it's not easy now, by any means, but he doesn't help me anymore, really. he's support and encouragement, but i do it on my own. i've done lots of research abotu different plans, making sure i do it the heathy, life changing way and not the "diet" way.

it's frustrating. i want to give up sometimes. but i keep on plugging away because i'm not happy with my body yet. but it's getting better.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

As I approach 50 (WAY too quickly), I thought, gee, I don't want to be fat in my 50s. I've been fat for 25 years and I'm tired of being tired and not being able to wear nice clothes. I don't want to huff and puff up hills, and be uncomfortable about going places, and be the fattest person in a room. I don't want to have a heart attack.

So I just finally got fed up with being fat and made up my mind to do something about it. I think you have to reach that point in your life--I wasn't ready in my 30s or even most of my 40s, but I'm ready now.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:06 PM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Coleen -

I started on Jan 10 (again) because I read an article about how many years I was taking off my life by being heavy. And I saw snowball reach her 100 lb mark and I realized it could be done with plain old diet and exercise!

What keeps me going? I guess I just finally want it bad enough. I am seeing the pounds come off, but I know for me, it takes consistency. I have to keep with it if I want results. Every day, not just the days I feel like it.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:34 AM   #7  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

What started me is my grandmother telling me shortly before she died: "Honey you look so pretty when you do up your makeup & hair, but when are you going to do something about your weight? I'm worried about your health." It was 100% out of love & concern for me.

What keeps me going is all the events that I have coming up that I want to look & feel great for. When I was @ my highest weight, I didn't feel good about myself, so I hated how clothes looked on me. I don't think I'm a clotheshorse, but I do like to look good. That aspect of this is getting a lot easier.

PS Coleen, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Elvis Costello.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:36 AM   #8  

Hi Colleen,

(hey, I like Elvis Costello too-lucky to live near Phila with a great radio station that actually plays him-including tracks from new cds)

I think having my son growing up (he's three and a half now) helped get myself in gear. I don't want him to have the mom that's too tired to do anything. I want to set a good example for him-not one of an overweight couch potato.

Besides for Matthew, I'm doing it for ME! I am sick of feeling so down about myself because I need to lose so much weight. I ate myself up to this weight, and I can undo it myself, too. Besides for obvious health benefits-although I'm really lucky-I eat healthy, and have never had cholesterol, blood sugar or blood pressure problems-I'll admit it-I want to wear smaller clothes. Okay, I said it. It's a totally vain reason, but yes, in addition to being in better health, I want to wear smaller clothes. I'm sick of shopping in plus stores.

Best of luck with your journey, We're all here to help you.

Hugs,
Sherry
Old 02-17-2003, 01:33 PM   #9  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Picking one thing and sticking to it really got my butt in gear. Just seeing that I could make one change really made me feel like I could do other stuff.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:56 PM   #10  

Angry Hi There all

Found you all when I was looking around for some good ole fashioned encouragement. Whenever I start to think and obsess about food I try to now turn to the message boards. Keeps my fingers busy, not to mention my mind too.

I started doing the WW points system on January 23, so that makes today like day 25, I have lost officially 12 lbs, weigh in is Thrusday. I do the WW system at home, can't seem to make myself pay $12. a week to get on scales, when I have everything at home and all you wonderful people here on 3fc to chat with along with other sites I have found on my journey.

I have a lot of weight to loose, would really like to loose more than the 100 lbs I have listed below, but I will work on that once I get through the first 100 lbs.
Nice to meet you all!!!
Closed Thread