Old 06-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/163/129

Height: 5'5"

Question Day 3 ? Do I have to limit the amount of lettuce I eat?

Hello,

This is my third day on Atkins and loving it. I'm so excited to be here because I'm hoping with your support and input, I'll be able to make some real changes with my health and weight.

I've done this plan before in the past, but always stop dropping weight after the first month. I know it is something I'm doing wrong. Last time I tried this diet, I lost weight the initial two weeks and then nothing for the next two months so I quit! I think I sabottage myself by eating to many carbs via cheese, nuts, and lettuce. This time around I really want to follow the rules per Dr. Atkins original diet. I've tried all the other plans (WW, JC, fasting, etc) and although I've lost weight on all those diets, I always felt like I was starving. Not so on Atkins....

So here is my question...Does anyone know how much lettuce is allowed during the induction? I love eating roman lettuce (6 leaves = 3 grams carbs, 2grams fiber) with chicken salad. I think I might be overdoing it. For example, today I had a huge salad for lunch (Olive Garden - no croutons or carrots, but a few slices of roman tomatos) and I then I had a late dinner of chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaves. I didn't count the amount I ate at Olive Garden but I'd guess it was atleast four cups.

I know I can pull out my book, but I want to know your experience with eating lettuce the first two weeks. Has anyone else had the same trouble? Could this be why my weight loss stalls? From eating a combination of too much lettuce and cheese??? What if I excercise, can I than add more lettuce?
SallyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Sally,
When you say you really want to follow the rules per Dr. Atkins original diet....I am going to assume you are doing Atkins 72. On Atkins 72, you are permitted 2 small green salads a day, each less than 1 cupful, loosely packed.
That being said, I eat a large salad everyday for lunch and another smaller salad with dinner. I am not doing Atkins 72. I follow Atkins 2002, which encourages 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day on Induction coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. I've never experienced issues from eating too much lettuce or too many veggies. In fact, its been the opposite, when I wasn't eating a good amount of veggies & salad, my weight would be at a stand still.
Cheese is a common staller on Atkins. Most will find it needs to be severly limited. While Atkins 2002 permits 3-4 oz. a day, I learned to limit my cheese intake to 1-2 oz.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-19-2010 at 09:15 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/163/129

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks! So maybe it's the Cheese??? Not the lettuce, hmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Hi Sally,
When you say you really want to follow the rules per Dr. Atkins original diet....I am going to assume you are doing Atkins 72. On Atkins 72, you are permitted 2 small green salads a day, each less than 1 cupful, loosely packed.
That being said, I eat a large salad everyday for lunch and another smaller salad with dinner. I am not doing Atkins 72. I follow Atkins 2002, which encourages 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day on Induction coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list. I've never experienced issues from eating too much lettuce or too many veggies. In fact, its been the opposite, when I wasn't eating a good amount of veggies & salad, my weight would be at a stand still.
Cheese is a common staller on Atkins. Most will find it needs to be severly limited. While Atkins 2002 permits 3-4 oz. a day, I learned to limit my cheese intake to 1-2 oz.
Oooh!!! Thank you Kim!! I was hoping you'd give me your advice. Your story was the deciding factor for me to give this another try and I really appreciate your knowledgable input. That said, I think I will concentrate on the 2002 version and get my 15 to 20 carbs from eating those large salads I love and a little green veggies of course. If I notice a negative effect, I will reevaluate. And your right, I always end up eating way too much sharp cheddar, love putting it on everything (eggs, alone, salad, alone, on the side, alone, etc). I guess I love cheese so much that I take advantage of the fact I can actually eat it on this WOE. The cheese is most likely the true culprit to the weight loss stalls (that was harsh, didn't want to admit that). Today, I cut up that huge block into 1 oz portions so now I definetly won't be going overboard in that department either.

Last night, I pulled out my Atkins book from storage. It is the 2003 version. I never realized it, but your right the book gives the impression that alternative low carb foods are okay! In the past I regularly relied on those little Endulge bars, along with the cheese (of course) and too much nuts during OWL. This has to be the reason the plan never worked that well for me in later years. I guess I will be ordering the 2002 version today and strictly follow it ....

Thanks again for your advice. Your input helps many of us stay on track and is an inspiration to a lot of us newbies (and returning newbies).

Sally
SallyG is offline   Reply With Quote