Old 06-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #31

Good morning to you ladies. I looked at our forecast and we have nothing but upper 90 temps through next week. Possibility of some thunderstorms, but not much. We were out yesterday afternoon and it got dark and cloudy, lots of thunder booming and we saw lightening from cloud to ground, but I don't think we got one drop of rain here. They must have somewhere in the area because there were flash flood watches out, but the midsouth area covers not only Memphis, but Arkansas, Mississippi and the north and to the east of Memphis so it could have been a 100 miles away for all I know.

Maggie: Kelly has a time of it with migraines, but hers start out without warning as a headache. She is on medication for it, but it really debilitates her when they come on. I have only had one and I was pregnant with Jay so you know how long ago that was. I thought I was going to die so I do know what you folks that suffer with it experience. Glad you got your charms and got them all on your bracelet. Well, look at it this way, would you rather have a 4.6 oz bracelet on your arm or a quarter pounder with cheese in your belly since they are the same weight!

Susan: We are just awful, awful here. One thing I imagine the pool is warming up very nicely. I have yet to get over there, but I am going to go today. I am having problems with swelling of my feet and legs badly, I think from the bp meds so it might help relieve them some. I have tried everything from really pushing fruit high in potassium to cold packs and nothing works to bring down the swelling or alay the leg cramps. I have two dr appts next week, one for the hormones and one for the bp so I imagine both are going to change.

Jean: I bet your fingers and tootsies are all beautiful now! Only a few more days and you get to be with your friends and family so that will be nice. We look everyday to see how Florida panhandle beaches look even though we aren't going until Sept and they are still clean and beautiful. We have planned a pirate ship that tours the waterways, a paddleboat murder mystery dinner, a visit to a gulf marine park, a visit to a winery where their products are all very fruity type wines, tropical and such and pier park which is shopping, restaurants and the like. They have a Hofbrau Haus there so we will try to get in and have some German food, visit at least one of their seafood restaurants and such. I am looking forward to just going and relaxing poolside with kids being back in school, parents vacations over and college students back in school it should be fairly quiet there I would think.

Finished T's sock and am feverishly working on the doctor's. Almost have one done and ready to graft the toe so I hope I can finish the other one no later than Monday and get them washed and blocked. I just hope they fit him. He is so thin that I made a narrow foot on the sock (here are the two of them finished) so I hope it fits. They are thicker socks as they are sport weight, but if he feels they are too heavy he can always wear them for fall scout campouts and such. After all, he will be going into boy scouts soon and the colors reflect boy scout colors! lol

Well gals, I need to do my chores, get some breakfast and in a couple hours go swimming. Have a grand day all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stripedsocks.jpg (28.5 KB, 5 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! Just a quick post "hello" this morning. The sun was shining when I got up, then a rain shower, and now sunshine again -- strange weather. It's supposed to be in the 90s today with severe storms later today. I have lots to get done and Bob wants to go up to the lake and mow stopping at Penneys on the way. Maybe I will go depending on how much I get done this morning.

"Gma" -- I'm sure Thomas will love the socks! Enjoy your swim; I hope it makes your legs and feet feel better. I'm sure you are anxious to visit with your doctors next week. You have had a lot of patience through all of this. Your trip plans sound like such fun! I hope that the oil problem is solved and things can get back to normal down there.

I've got to get a move on. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! Another 90 degree day on tap...and all next week, too.

Faye, I know you will be happy to be swimming again...hope it helps with the swelling, too. I hope they get your hormones and bp meds right next week. You certainly have had to deal with this for too long.

Jean, I hope you decided to go with Bob. All the house stuff will still be there when you get back.

Maggie, are you busy admiring your bracelet?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON THIS DAY MAGNOLIAS

Got my chores done and sat down for a rest and to post while sipping a diet soda. The weather here in the Heartland is said to be in the 90's all week with thunderstorms one of the days. Hope it isn't Saturday for we are going to a friends for a cook out party and I know she doesn't want to bring all those folks into her house. She would but graceous sakes it would be croweded by the number she has invited. Dinner will be so easy this day for I have those burgers on onion buns in the freezer and will microzap a couple for dinner. Along with some watermellon and corn on the cob it will be a good and easy meal. Not much going on here in the neighborhood ~ all is quiet.

DONNA FAYE In the past when I used to get migrains that were very painful my doctor suggested my trying different kinds of meds off the counter ~ not perscriptions. I found Vanquish works & when I pop two I don't get any pain. If I don't take them soon enough then watch out ~ but the pills work better than any of the perscription meds he gave me to try. I feel very fortunate that I do get that flashing aura because that alearts me to an oncoming episode and if I pop my meds during that half hour then no pain. The folks that don't get that aura seem to just have the pain hit whammo. Those sox are neat and I am sure that little guy will love them. I hope you had a good swim this day and it wasn't too hot out there. I walked a bit inside ~ we are up in the 90's all week.

JEAN Your vacation is just around the bend and coming up soon. Are you going to be planning on going out to the lake and boating much this Summer? We are going to be going on vacation in the fall when school is back in session. We have not as of yet finalized our destination but it will probably be around the four corners area.

SUSAN Your weather is just about like ours this week. Our humidity I think is in the 40ish range. I am just waiting for some engraving to be done on a small silver tag and my bracelet will be all put back together. I rearranged some of the charms to make it more user friendly. The tent trailer charm I ordered (from a company I don't usually deal with) is not going on my braclet. It is very chincy looking, need I say more. Instead I am putting on a little tag with my start weight engraved on the front with my goal weight engraved on the back of it. Then it is finished. No more charms. None.

Everyone have a lovely evening. Stay cool. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-17-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! Another cooker here in the south! lol We have no cooling weather to look forward to as of now.

I went swimming only for about 20 minutes as I got some leg cramps a bit of knee problem and since I was alone didn't think I should push it. I have made an executive decision about my body. I am going to tell my gyn to take me off the hormones. I am on the lowest dosage and am exhibiting symptoms of water retention, ie swollen feet and lower legs and my hands are swelling now too. That is causing my spine and such to be out of whack which is causing my knee to pop in and out like it used to years ago. The lowest dosage has not changed the female symptoms and to tell the truth one thing is enough to deal with let alone having a ton of symptoms from the meds. Increasing the meds to try and get the female thing under control and then have more severe symptoms is just not what I want to do.

Maggie: Jack is not very fond of watermelon, but I like it. Have you ever had the yellow fleshed watermelon? It is the best stuff I have ever had. I ate it the first time in high school when we went to Arkansas to visit my aunt and uncle. Jack has been grilling out a lot to keep the house cool. I cook with the oven a lot and it is so hot that is out of the question at the moment. I am using my crockpot, electric skillet, etc to bypass the oven at the moment. Amazing what you can do with an electric skillet.

Susan: Hope the end of the week is buzzing by for you and you can enjoy your weekend!

Jean: I saw that the oil is creeping to the beach we want to go to, but hopefully since we aren't going for three months that if they do end up with the guck they can get a handle on it quickly and clean it up.

I started the second sock for the doctor last night. I want to get the cuff and leg done today and then get the heel and part of the foot done tomorrow and finish it up on Monday. I did do a new technique I have never done, which will probably shock Susan. I did my first kitchener stitch last night. Lots easier than I thought it would be even for a lefty. I had been doing a 3 needle bind off for the socks, but this is a whole lot easier with the tiny stitches.

I hope you gals have a nice weekend. We are going to do some carpet shampooing and shampoo my rug in front of the couch. We were eating dinner last night and when I set the tray table out from me to get up, dumped my whole plate onto the rug and I had steak sauce and boy what a mess!

Talk to you again soon. Faye
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is very dark and we had thunderstorms roll through about an hour ago, with a half inch of rain. Bob was checking the weather last night and said there is rain in the forecast every day next week. I'm not sure if he meant here or in MN. The tornadoes that went through MN were a couple hours east of where we will be, but still too close.

Susan -- I did go with Bob yesterday; we stopped at Penneys enroute and he picked up several golf type shirts. I can't get him to shop very often so when I do he makes a haul. He did get the lawn mowed; it's not very big so doesn't take long. It started to rain just as he finished.

Maggie -- It was terribly humid here yesterday and I turned the air on. The weatherman kept talking about a cold front moving in, which it did during the night. When and if the sun comes out today it is be hot and very humid. We usually spend at least one day of every weekend at the lake, and sometimes a trip up during the week. The whole family will be there over the long 4th weekend and Labor Day weekend, if the weather cooperates.

"Gma" -- I've never heard of nor seen yellow watermelon. I usually try to pick up one that's been cut into 1/4s; I know it is more expensive but Bob isn't especially fond of it so I eat it alone most of the time. Bob's argument against putting carpet back in is that he thinks once it is shampooed, it gets dirty quicker. Do you get that feeling? A new knitting technique will keep your sock project interesting.

I have lots to get done today so better get started. Have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Already Friday. I do know the week flys by quicker the older I get. Not much on the docket here this day. I saw that they revised our weeks forecast of what the weather will be like and looks like we will be in the 100's for the first half of the new week. I just hope the humidity isn't high. My system wasn't made for humid weather. I am getting the ingrediets rounded up for my crock pot Cowboy Beans today which I am making to take to pot-luck Sunday. I am going to cook the meat tomorrow and put it in the fridge since it takes awhile and I don't want to get up with the chickens on Sunday morning. I can assemble it all on that morning and Will can take it to the church building and plug it in and it will be all ready come pot-luck time. I usually do it all Saturday night but since we have the cook out to go to I need to get it all done sooner. Works for me. I got a call last night from my mother that my daugter out there in CA isn't doing so well. She doesn't drink water and it has caught up with her and her body is rebelling. She got disoriented and was taken to the hospital where they are pumping her full of liquids. Well see if that works or if there is something else going on with her. They are going to give her a MRI on her head this day to see what might be going on in there since she was so disjointed in her speech. No stroke they said for they tested her for that. Hopefull all those fluids they put in her will solve the problem, the nurse seems to think so anyway. Water, got to drink water.

DONNA FAYE Good for you to cut your swim time short. Cramps in the pool can get ya. I do hope your decision for your health plan works out for you. A gal has to do what she thinks is best for herself. I'll have to look for that yellow watermellon. I never knew any one that had one but you now. We saw some seeds in the catalogue for them but didn't get any. Just got the ones that grow round like a volleyball. If oil hits the beaches where you plan on going don't plan on them getting it cleaned up soon the way they are going. It is a sad state of affairs there.

JEAN That is so neat you can go to the lake so often for fun in the sun. Watermellon is so good very cold and it is neat you can just purchase a slice. I am so glad that Will likes it also and we can cut into a whole one.

SUSAN Hope all is going well with you this day.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend. Type at y'all later.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #8  

Maggie -- I hope your daughter will be ok, and/or the MRI will show what the problem might be, if there is one! What a scary thing to have happen. Does your mom live close to your daughter that she was aware of what happened? Cowboy beans sound so good right now. My pantry is pretty bare since we've tried to eat any leftovers hanging around.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Back

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Jean
Thanks for your kind concern. My Mother lives about 3 hours from her and my daughter calls her every day and I talk to both about once a week. One of my daughters good friends is the one that called us to tell us the news. He is the one that took her to the hospital. He will let me know about the results of the MRI and such. I did tell him if she doesn't drink water to do whatever it takes to make her drink it. I should have told him to tape record how she sounded when she was mumble jumbled up with her speech and play that back when she refuses water. If that is all it is when we get the results what a simple thing to go wrong ~ water.

Those beans sound so good to me also. I will certainly have a cup of them come Sunday. I will have to force myself to stay out of the fixins till then. All that meat smells so good when I am cooking it.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-19-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #10  

Good morning gals! Another day of cooker heat here. I swear we haven't had one day under 90 degrees in several weeks now. We went out around 9 am to run a couple errands and it was 90 at 9 o'clock for heaven's sake.

Maggie: I don't know where I get this stuff, but I saw your post about your cowboy beans for potluck and thought it is a good thing they are for AFTER service..... The outside of the yellow meat melon is the same color of green just the flesh is this beautiful golden yellow and very very sweet. They are really delicious, but the only place I have ever seen them is in Arkansas.

Jean: Hope your trip is a lot of fun. My dd posted on facebook about 3 hours ago that they got hit with a horrible storm last night and today. They have no power, the winds got up to 80 mph and tore up trees everywhere. I guess in one neighborhood in South Bend it tore out so many trees it cracked a gas line and they had to evacuate the whole neighborhood. The gas company guys said it was the strongest gas smell they had ever seen. I know it was near 90 in Chicago during the game yesterday so South Bend was probably near that in temp. The kitchener stitch is just the way you sew the toe closed. A three needle bind off you basically knit the stitches together and off the needles, but the kitchener you use a darning needle and knit and purl with the needle instead of a knitting needle. I rally like the look of it and as long as you keep your head, it isn't very hard.

Susan: Hope all is well with you!

I have to cook up a batch of homemade barbeque sauce for our grilling tomorrow. It freezes very nicely and it is pretty easy to make. I guess I better get to it so it can cool down and I can put it into a container and into the fridge for tomorrow.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody and try to stay cool and comfortable! Faye
Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday In The Heat

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is already HOT and it is fixin' to get HOTTER this day and more to come. But complaining isn't going to change it. Will just brought in the charm which is a small silver tag that I sent to the engraver to put my starting weight on one side and on the flip side my goal weight. That is the last of the charms going on the bracelet. The man who makes these little tags is a decendent of the folks who started making them 150 years ago. Just a little history there in the silvermith works. I got the bacon all cut up and the Italian sausage made into small rounds and the burger meat thawing. I will fry it all up later this day. My plan is to have a smoothine a bit later and before going to the BBQ this evening I'll eat an orange. My plan is to pick & choose and be OP at the party and have fun "talking" instead of eating too much. Then I'll do the same at the pot-luck tomorrow. My mother went to the doctor for a check up and he told her to gain some weight. She weights 107 soaking wet. When she told me that she laughed and said she needs to buy whole milk and such because she always just gets the low fat stuff. Now, really, whe doesn't need to eat low fat. That same doctor told me to lose and now is telling my Mother to gain. I didn't get my fat cells from her, that is for sure. I am more like my great aunts, they were round folks. And my daughter is much improved ~ all stems from not drinking water. Not drinking water sure acts like a domino effect on your organs.

DONNA FAYE Hope your DD is high and dry with electricty back on now. Storms eat trees. WOW that hot at 9pm. What ever happened to the cool cool cool of the evening. LOL beans. These don't have that gas effect and are so popular. I still regret not buying those watermellon seeds when I saw them in that catalogue. Next year I'll get some to put in our garden. They must have put a lot of that roten egg smell in that gas line. My bro in law had that job when he was going through school. Worked for the gas company and inserted those awful smelling drops into the gas lines. Otherwise you wouldn't know there was a leak, for gas doesn't have an odor. It is a silent killer ~ ergo the rotten egg smell they add. Everybody recognizes that smell.

Will is out mowing and Ragg Mopp is asleep at my feet. All is well and life is good. Type at y'all later.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! - Only 90 degrees today but humid.

There was a luau at the quilt shop last night. Lots of fun. I've attached a picture of me and Glory (I'm on the right). A good time was had by all.

Had WI this morning and maintained. Always better than a gain. I'm making the shepard's pie from the Week 1 booklet for supper. Sounded good.

Faye, we have the yellow watermelon available here at the farmers markets. It's like eating candy. For the red, I like the Sweet Babies that are about the size of a basketball, no seeds. Was it your daughter or daughter-in-law that had the storm. I got thrown by the reference to South Bend.

Jean, I do think carpet gets dirtier faster when you shampoo it. It also harbors dust mites and germs. I'm not supposed to have it in my house and that will be the next thing I replace. Going with laminated floors. It's also hard for me to vacuum but I can dust mop with not problem.

Maggie, I hope your daughter keeps a bottle of water with her all the time and keeps sipping. No fun to get dehydrated.

Enjoy your evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luau at Quilt Shop.jpg (33.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #13  

Just a quick post this morning since it is Father's Day and lots of celebrating with family today.

Susan: OMGosh, what a cute pic but looks like Glory is losing her coconuts..... It does look like you had a great time. We rarely see the little round watermelons here though I have had them and they are really good too.

Maggie: Hope your dd is doing better and has learned a lesson about keeping hydrated. We are so careless with our health sometimes and don't think about things that can actually become really serious.

Jack is talking to Kelly on the phone at the moment, but I didn't tell him who it was so he thought it was Alicia and babbling about Jay and Jackson. I shouted, "it's kelly, Jack!" He was then really embarrassed but I blame myself as I didn't tell him who it was. I think she probably took it in good fun that he didn't recognize her voice.

I made another batch of bbq sauce this morning and a nice lowfat chocolate pie for dessert. You can sure cut calories and fat without ruining taste these days with what is availble to cook with. It is so hot here again today that we aren't venturing from home. Jack is going to put something on the grill so we don't have to heat up the house.

Nothing else going on here today except I am knitting up a storm trying to get the doctor's sock done. I have the heel in and am starting the foot so I should finish no later than tomorrow than can wash and block them and wrap them up to take to the dr's on Thursday.

Have a wonderful day all! Faye
Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful warm day here in the heartland. Fixin to get hot though for it is in the upper 90's. The air conditioner works great in this house thank goodness. The one in the church building brought the inside down from the mid 80's down quickly to the 70's when we got there a tad early to do just that. Pot luck today was yummy. Someone brought a huge plate of fresh fruit and that is what I filled 3/4ths of my plate with. Red ripe strawberries, juicy blackberries and delicious pineapple spears. Life is good. And of course I had a cup of my Cowboy Beans. Let me know if you want the recipe and I will e-mail it to you.

SUSAN What a fun picture ~ you two look like you are ready to do the hula. Keep those coconut shells on now.

DONNA FAYE Isn't it wonderful that we can make good tasting low-fat yummies that don't put on the pounds.

JEAN Are you out there having fun in the sun? You go girlfriend.

Too hip gotta go now. Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 06-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another hot one in the 90s. I went to early church and it was already 88 at 8 am this morning.

Our priest, Father Mike, has recorded a CD of Christian music. He plays piano and sings. He wrote 4 of the songs, music and lyrics, himself. It's quite good and I hope he sells a lot - all proceeds are going to charities, including the blind school where he was educated.

Faye, I'm afraid we're going to be housebound for July and August if its this hot in June. Just so the hurricanes stay away. I knew you'd get the doctor's socks done. She's going to love them.

Happy Father's Day to all your spouses. I hope you had a great day.