Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 269/259/145-150

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy completely frustrated

I have been losing a pound a day which is great. I got super excited. This weekend I didn't lose a pound but I was ok with that. This morning I weigh myself and I have gained a pound. How in the heck did that happen I have been so good, and have plently of weight to lose. I did cheat a bit on Sunday. Could it just now be showing up on the scale?? How would I gain a pound from that little of cheat..uugghh so frustrated feel like eating bowl of pasta.
stromgardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Could be water gain, could be TOM is nearing... don't panic, give it a day or two to come off. You can do it !!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #3  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

stromgardgirl, don't give up now you're doing so well! I can't help weighing myself daily either, but I have learned the hard way to only track what I weigh once a week. Count up how much you lost/gained over a whole week and it will be much more impressive. Even if it's only 1lb a week off thats a whole stone in 14 weeks.. I bet that would feel a lot better than a bowl of pasta

Don't get me wrong I have my off days too ... just need to stay positive and look at the bigger picture though, otherwise we'll end up back where we started!
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 269/259/145-150

Height: 5'4"

Yeah I had a bad day today. Don't think I went over 100g of carbs though. I like to stay under 50g a day. I'm just getting so tired of veggies, meat, cheese, and eggs. I need to spice things up. I dearly miss my fruit.
stromgardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/185/135

Height: 5ft5

I just entered OWL and finally get to add back some berries. I was missing my fruit so bad as well.

You can get through this. Induction is only temporary. (That's what I told myself anyway! )
gerly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromgardgirl View Post
Yeah I had a bad day today. Don't think I went over 100g of carbs though. I like to stay under 50g a day. I'm just getting so tired of veggies, meat, cheese, and eggs. I need to spice things up. I dearly miss my fruit.
What phase of Atkins are you in? Induction is 20g net carbs; 50g net carbs is maintenance or close to it for many. 100g net carbs is a lot for most people especially on Atkins.

Which book are you following? While the advice to give varies depending upon which version you are following, the above carb observations still hold true.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #7  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

Reality check: Losing a pound a day is not going to last very long. Fluctuations in weight are going to happen.

You mentioned a cheat day, so I think that's your answer right there. 100 gr is a reduced carb diet, but not recommended on Atkins as part of a weight loss diet. You start with an induction of 20 carbs or less, after induction, you slowly increase carbs week by week until you stop losing weight. That number becomes your maintenance number and you need to be below that number to lose weight. Very few people do Atkins correctly because they want to stay at induction levels. Unfortunately this backfires, as they soon feel deprived that they end up going off of the diet.

Low carb is a different kind of diet, it changes the source of fuel the body uses, it's not the kind that works to take off weight and then one goes back to eating the standard high carbs foods. It's truly a lifestyle and way of eating permanently.

As far as 100 carbs (if that is your preference) then calories do count. I have been able to lose 62 pounds on 1200 calories with 60-100 carbs. I am now back on induction levels of carb intake because I really like how it feels. The lower the carbs, the less appetite (ketosis) so it can benefit one to find the right carb level. It's a very individual thing.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #8  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromgardgirl View Post
Tons of low carb cookbooks and recipe sites out there. Spice it up the low carb way! YUM!
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I think there is some great advice here - in particular it's not reasonable to expect to lose a pound a day for more than a few days. If you look through the posts here (or in any other forum on 3FC) you'll see most people lose one or two pounds a week (at most) over the long term, after those first few days. It might be slightly faster for the first few weeks of low carb, and it might be slightly faster for much larger people but there is not much was around the fact that for most people one or two pounds a week is a solid rate of ongoing loss (no matter how much we wish it would be faster).

I agree that 100g of carbs is not "low carb" according to most low carb plans so if you're eating 100g of carbs and not counting calories you might be having an inbalance between your intake & your expectations.

Finally, if you're really bored with what you're eating and you're not a cook & looking for new recipes, it might be that you're not on a good plan for yourself. I eat low carb because I really enjoy it and don't get tired of it. I've been eating low carb for over a year now. I do miss fruit, but I've learned to carefully plan a few carb grams for a half an apple once every week or two (and right now it's strawberry season!). But I feel I can happily & easily eat this way for a long time, so I know it's a good choice for me - if I was struggling I'd probably keep looking for a different eating plan...

Good luck - hope you find what works for you
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote