South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

Default Had to vent

Listening to people whine is probably anyone's least favorite thing to do. I just had to get this out. I am so frustrated when I look in the mirror. Ever since I've hit p2 My weight has fluctuated between 200 and 195. I know why it does that, it's about whether or not i'm sticking to the diet and that's ok. I'm back to 196 now and that's good. BUT, no matter what the scale says, I still see how I look in the mirror and that hasn't changed. I"m so tired of the love handles I could scream. I've never thought of myself as fat or seen my self as fat, but that all changed during my most recent pregnancy (baby is 8 months old now) and the icky hanging love handles will NOT budge. I suppose I need to give it time, but I'm impatient. I wanna get back to the person I always thought I was. Plus my hubby has lost 20 pounds already and he's doing great. I've never lost more than 17, and I'm more active than he is. (which is saying very little lol) arrrrrrrrrrrrg!

ok, the shameful whining is done now.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/172/155

Height: 5'6''

Hi Jarlie,

I feel ya!! You aren't whining My baby is 14 months and I initially lost about 25 pounds when I had him, but after stepping on the scale the other day I noticed that I was actually slowly gaining weight back! My metabolism is very different now since I've hit 30. When I did SB before I lost 14 pounds those first two weeks, no problem. I don't see that happening this time Don't beat yourself up. You are working really hard and your body will catch up with all your hard work. I know it's difficult not to get that instant gratification. I'm a daily weigher--I know--and today was the first morning that I hadn't dropped some weight and I was hella disappointed. As for hubby, no words of wisdom there, men do seem to drop it faster than us. Good luck! Be strong!
dizzylille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I so hear you. I am impatient too. I think everyday I tell dh "i just wish it would come off QUICKER!!" lol who doesn't , I guess.

But, I have to face the facts. I'm sedentary. I probably have far less muscle than a normal person my age due to excessive couch potatoism and being sick and in hospital a lot. I also have an inactive thyroid (but not inactive enough for meds- awesome huh?)

And I have also never in my life manage to lose more than 20lbs. I lost the 20lbs with a local (now franchised) weight loss clinic and quit the program once I was out of the first trimester of pregnancy as I felt they were restricting my calories and carbs too much for a pregnant person.

Anyhow, I find it best for the impatience to stay away from the scale. I am weighing in about once a month. Also I am working on my self talk and not accepting self-bashing. Finally, instead of focusing on the body parts I dislike (there are many) Iam trying to focus on what is pretty about me,, then focus on that when I have to look in the mirror. I have nice eyes and lips, so I now wear nice makeup to accentuate them. I got new bras so my girls would look better. I am trying a little harder to look good and that really helps. I get my nails done too as I used to bite them and now I'm enjoying having pretty nails. Those types of things are making a difference in how I feel about my body and are helping me through this phase. It's been slow going but thank God I'm not gaining ! I keep saying, my weight loss may be slow, but I'll tell you this much- I will NEVER, EVER be 170 ever again.

So, hey you may be losing slowly, but you will NEVER, EVER be 210 again.
Think about it. How does that statement make you feel? Isn't it a relief? You are getting there; let's just put one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I know it's hard waiting for the weight to drop off...oh, believe me, I know.
It honestly took about a year for me to reach my goal size (I went for a size, not a number of lbs) Some months I didn't lose any at all..clothes stayed the same, then whoosh, it would drop and I needed clothes! A few months later, down another size over and over till I woke up one day, went shopping and fit into the size I wanted to be. The same will happen to you!! Back away from the evil scale and focus on eating healthy and you'll wake up one day saying "I did it!". It is a gradual process, but better gradual than it all coming off and going back to eating the way you did that put it on in the first place. Gradual gets you used to eating in a new clean way and sets you up for a healthy life, not just a skinny one.

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-13-2010 at 12:55 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #5  

Thanks guys. I suppose I am getting there. I never ever will be 210 AGAIN. God willing I will never ever be over 200 again! That does indeed make me feel better. I am taking St. John's wort. Just started today, so no real results yet, but I'm hoping to even out my moods and that might help things also.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #6  

St John's wort interacts with many prescription meds, so if you are on any, please google it or check with your pharmacist.

I just started back with Cipralex (Lexapro in the States) as well. (anxiety. etc)
Some people I notice say they gain on it, but I've been on it before and I don't remember gaining or having any change to my appetite. Just going to keep an eye on it.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #7  

Thank you I am not on any prescription meds, so I'm good there. I'm sticking to Tylenol (acetaminophen) only because I know some antidepressants don't do good with Motrin (ibuprofen) and I don't want to take the chance. Oh and I'm stocking up on sunblock too. This white irish decent girl doesn't need to turn into fried bacon!

The thing is, I don't have any medical insurance right now, so I'm basically eliminating the middle man. 8 bucks for a 50 day supply and no prescription or office visits needed. In case anyone else is considering doing this, I want to point out that this is not what I would recommend for most depressed people. I would tell anyone to see a good doctor and get some good advice. In my case, I've been through all the therapy etc. and my past and worked through all the situational things in my past. From time to time, I need to even out my brain chemistry a bit is all. After all these years, I know the signs for when it gets serious. But in general, Yes, by all means see a doctor.

Last edited by Jarlie; 06-13-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #8  

I hear 5-HTP is good as well
I'm in Canada, so dr's visits are free (thank God, I'm there a lot) and my rx's are covered.. I havent tried St John's wort myself but I've heard many positive things about it. IN fact I'm sure I read one study that proved it was just as effective as some SSRI's. Wonder if it helps with anxiety as well? Its more the anxiety I have issues with.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #9  

I've never even heard of 5-HTP. I will look into it further if the St John's Wort doesn't work. But I really am expecting it to help in my case.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #10  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlie View Post
Thank you I am not on any prescription meds, so I'm good there. I'm sticking to Tylenol (acetaminophen) only because I know some antidepressants don't do good with Motrin (ibuprofen) and I don't want to take the chance.
What is the interaction between Motrin and antidepressants? Haven't heard of this before.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #11  

In some cases, pain relievers that are (NSAID), such as Motrin, Aspirin or Celebrex, might have a risk of upper gastrointestinal bleeding. It has been shown that the risk is increased if these meds are taken with SSRI antidepressants (for example, zoloft, paxil, prozac).

I don't take pain meds on a regular basis, so this may not apply to me anyhow. Infact, I do not know if the interaction applies to St. John's wort at all. Since st john's wort seems to act like an SSRI, and if I ever do need a pain relieve/fever reducer there is a good alternative, I figured better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Jarlie; 06-14-2010 at 10:41 AM.