Old 06-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #30

Good morning to you ladies! We had a thunderboomer last evening but the rain lasted less than 10 minutes. It has been doing that off and on for about a week, clouding up then either clearing or raining just a few minutes. I think it is the heat and it just keeps heating up here.

Susan: That is THE most disgusting thing I have ever heard of. I have always, always been a proponent of loving yourself the way you are, but to just keep gaining weight because you want to and refuse to deny yourself anything is just wrong. This woman won't live long with the attitude she has and her diabetes is going to make her life **** soon. It is sad, very sad. I would give anything to be fit and healthy again. It is disturbing that her daughter is even allowed to stay in that home with her public statements. She has to be totally debilitated at the size she is. I long to be able to climb stairs, walk great distances, exercise and enjoy it instead of it killing me. I struggle everyday with this, as you probably did at one point and for this woman to want to be like this is absolutely mystifying.

Maggie: Oh, I am so sorry your charm is lost. Maybe you will find it somewhere you least expect it. One of the favorite pieces of jewelry I have ever had was something Jack bought me when I graduated high school. It was this tiny white gold cross, twisted to look like rope and it had a diamond in the middle. I loved that necklace and one time when we moved one of the movers had to have stolen it because it just disappeared not long after we moved. So, I know how sad this must make you. I hope you find it!

I am going and getting a haircut today, getting Thomas's birthday presents and doing laundry. I have started his second sock and am well on my way so I hope I can finish it by Monday then get the dr's socks finished this next week.

I am working on week two with the female stuff and I am so miserable and just plain down about it. I don't know what else to do and I am afraid the doctor's are going to throw up their hands and say they have done all they can it will have to just work itself out. When you are my age, it impacts your life a lot and messes everything up. Thanks for letting me vent about it. I am just to the point of hopelessness and it makes me terribly sad and miserable. The only good thing is that I am back to having lost 4 lbs so at least that is positive.

You gals have a wonderful weekend. We have commissary day tomorrow. Whoopeee! lol Faye

Last edited by gma22; 06-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another lovely day here in the Heartland. We will probably get showers this afternoon ~ keeps the garden watered and the grass growing. I could bet that Will will be out mowing next month it is growing so fast. I don't have any plans this day aside from getting the ribs ready to cook. The regular picking up and cleaning has to be done of course. I do want to clean out my desk drawer ~ oh my. I have to keep it organized or I spend too much time to find something I know is hiding in there. Plus it is a writing desk with just one drawer in the middle. And since it is a writing desk it is a few inches higher than a regular one and makes it hard to use my lap top on. I have a smaller table sitting next to the desk making an "L" and I have to move it out to get into the drawer and so I tend to just shove things in when I am through using them and thus making the drawer a mess. I don't know why I ever bought this desk for it is taller than a normal one but it looks good but isn't a computer desk. So I need to clean out that drawer and rearrange the needful items in it. Will is out back building a work bench and Ragg Mopp is asleep at my feet. All is well in the Heartland. Life is good.

DONNA FAYE Vent all you need to girlfriend. We are a good support group and are here for each other. Please, O Please don't fall into the hopelessness pit. Concentrate on that light at the end of the tunnel for this misery will surely pass. It did not come to stay so it will go away. CONGRATULATIONS on being 4 POUNDS DOWN. That is a good positive in your life at the moment. And knit away and you will have those sox done and put smiles on faces of the recepients. I gurantee it. I do so remember the loud thunder claps that TN can produce. I also remember when they would clap me awake from a deep sleep. I love storms though.

All you Magnolias have a great day. The weekend is just around the corner and we need to keep our FOCUS. Ah, my focus. Later ladies.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-11-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies. A very nice 76 degrees right now. I opened all my windows to get some fresh air into the house.

Today is mopping and vacuuming and bathrooms. Doesn't that sound exciting! I'm definitely doing some piecing on the machine this afternoon. Tomorrow is weigh in at WW and I know I've lost this week so I am happy.

Faye, do the doctors not think a hysterectomy could solve the problem? It's not like you want to have kids or were way early for menopause. It sure seems nothing else is working. I know, big step to opt for surgery. I was glad to hit menopause and I had it early in my late 40s. I'm have your chili for lunch today. Congratulations on hitting 4 pounds despite your problems.

Maggie, I hope you find your charm! Your bracelet sounds so lovely. I wish you could post a picture.

Hello, Jean!

Have a great day!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 06-11-2010 at 11:40 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Back At Ya

BACK AGAIN MAGNOLIAS

SUSAN Do you hear me giving you encourgement to show a good loss at weigh in tomorrow. I am so very proud of your great success.

I will find my camera hook up thingie so I can figure out how take pictures and download them to my computer. I just never fooled with it and now don't know exactly where I stashed it. I am posting what it has on it so maybe you can visualize it...

Texas ~ The state where it all started
Menu & Measure Spoons ~ Plan and portion
Jeep & Focus ~ Gets me there while keeping my FOCUS
Tin Man ~ I have heart
Lock w/Two Keys ~ Un-lock the fat
Graph & Food Scale ~ Track & weigh food intake
Nickel ~ 50 Pounds down
Tennis Shoe & Weights ~ Exercise
Believe & Gold Star ~ I believe I can do this thing, Bravo star
Diet Soda Can & Silverware ~ Watch what I eat and drink
50 & Kaleidoscope ~ Half way there – I can see it
3 Paper Dolls ~ My support group
Cheerleader ~ Cheers me on
Coyote ~ Yipekio, I can do this thing
Dime ~ 100 Pounds down
Puzzle piece ~ My piece of the puzzle
Stop Sign & Gold Whistle ~ Stop and evaluate
Notebook w/Pen & Hour Glass ~ Food diary, all day
Bullet w/ gold lips ~ Bite the bullet and do this thing
Butterfly ~ Out of my cocoon of fat
On/Off Switch & Turtle ~90%/10% Slow and easy wins the race
Canoe & Bow-n-Arrow ~ Paddling along on target
Tent Trailer ~ Fun down the road to thin
Coffee Pot ~ AH, my coffee

Last edited by Maggie; 06-12-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #5  

Good Morning, Flowers! We got up to more thunderstorms and rain, but the sun is peeking through right now. I've been sorting through the paper pile -- I think the junk mail is picking up again! I finally called a used car place in southern IA that keeps sending flyers to Jason. He hasn't lived here for at least 15 years; the secretary said the addresses come from an advertising company that sends their ads out and she would try to get his name dropped. He's never bought a car there so don't know why he'd be on the list in the first place.

Maggie -- It costs $995, plus MN tax and resort/hotel/motel fees, to rent a small 1 bath, 3 BR cabin for a week. The guys like to fish from a pontoon boat that is a piece of junk borrowed from another resort and they pay $350 a week for that, plus gas, plus live bait. The other couples like to vacation during the winter, where it is warm, so are willing to give this one up if everyone agrees. We'll see what happens. I can hardly wait for the first corn-on-the-cob crop! I could make a meal of corn and nothing else, but then I remember one WW leader asking what the farmers feed hogs to fatten them up! I do hope your charm will surface when you least expect it. I know how much you enjoy your charm bracelet.

Susan -- I think I saw that fat woman on TV! Bob's comment was she probably has her clothes made at a tent and awning store! I agree she is nuts (disgusting) and so is her boyfriend! Plus she certainly isn't setting a good example for her children. I'm glad your yard was cleaned up by the workers. We've always had good experience with workers cleaning up after themselves. We split the cabin cost 2/3 for us and 1/3 for my "mom." Her daughter and family have another 3 BR cabin so they foot their whole bill. The other couple had a 2 BR which is cheaper but not a good view of the boats, docks, and water area. He is coming back alone this summer so it will be different since Julie is gone now and they hadn't been there for 2 years.

"Gma" -- Sorry, I didn't see that you had started #30 so started another one. I think maybe Maggie posted on #29 bringing it to the top. You have a busy day planned. I hope you are feeling better! I'm not sure I would be as patient as you have been with this female stuff.

I need to make a grocery list and vacuum -- I will vacuum first! Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-11-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #6  

Good morning girls! Am up early with terrible cramps and such so decided to heck with it, I would finish my grocery list, balance my checkbook, check on Jackson's birthday party plans on facebook and come in here and post.

Today is commissary day but at least it isn't military pay day until next week so maybe it won't be too busy. I hope it doesn't take too long, but at least I can always count on the commissary being cool. It is usually cold for me so with this heat it should feel nice to shop.

Here is my favorite celebrity chef. He is fixing harcot verts (green beans )and dishing them up, then with his prestigious award outside Viking Cooking School. Actually, Thomas went to cooking camp this week and had a lot of fun. He does a lot of cooking classes throughout the year with his parents and his parents go to 2-3 themselves. The school is only 5 miles from our house. Jack and I would like to someday take a cake decorating class or two, but right now, I know I couldn't stand for that long. They have all kinds of classes and seminars to choose from, but they can be very pricey.

Well, the bike thing is gonna come out alright. We went last night to Target and the disappointment was their bikes under 20" are boxed and not eligible for assembly all their others are free assembly, but that didn't solve the problem. So, I talked to Jack and we decided just to pick it up in the box and take it to Indiana and put it together. I told him I was going to nicely give them a piece of my mind. Surprise, when we went back there, I started out by telling the lady we were there to pick something up but that I had a complaint and explained that the toy manager told us we could site to store ship and he would have it assembled. I thought she would give me lip and she said, "I am really sorry, but our assemblers have gone home for the day." I was shocked and said I didn't need it today. So, she told me to call back this morning and tell them I wanted it assembled and they would tell me when I could pick it up that people do it all the time!!!! She wrote the number of the store on the back and I ask her for her name so I would have a reference point and she wrote that on there too but said she wouldn't be working again until Monday. So, I am going to call this morning and set up the assembly, thank goodness.

It was so hot and humid yesterday I stayed drenched doing errands. I did get my hair cut, then went to Best Buy and got Thomas's birthday presents, came home and went to the bathroom then out again. I felt pretty good all day until around 2 this morning that woke up very crampy with a mess. UGH, this is ridiculous! lol

Jean: I will ask one of the administrators to remove your thread if you like or you might be able to go back in and delete it yourself. I am a corn lover too. I grew up eating a lot of it in the summer. It was cheap and you could feed a big family. My favorite meal is fresh sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob, fresh fried potatoes and hot dogs all a meal from my childhood. I rarely eat fried potatoes at all anymore and we rarely have hot dogs at home, but I am still a hot dog lover. I do buy myself some beautiful tomatoes and fresh corn a couple times in the summer though. Jack doesn't like fresh tomatoes. We went to carrabbas last night for dinner and I ordered the bruchette of the day and sat and ate it without the bread. It was a lot of tomatoes, kalimari olives, fresh herbs and some fresh mozzerella. It was delicious. Instead of their pasta dishes I opted for their sirloin so I did pretty well with my diet except we shared their "chocolate dream" dessert which is to die for. I only ate a couple bites, enough to satisfy without causing damage and let Jack finish it. The couple next to us asked us what it was and the man ended up buying a piece and taking it home.

Maggie: I have always thought your charm bracelet was an excellent idea with regards to losing weight and the ones you picked are perfect. It must really be hard having lost one because it is almost like losing part of the journey you set up for yourself.

Guess I better get out of here and type up my grocery list. We always head out early so we can get it done before the heat of the day makes it worse. Have a grand Saturday all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chef t.jpg (35.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg chefthomas.jpg (38.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Girlfriends it is a tolerable day here in the Heartland. The humidity isn't too high and the sun is shining and Will has the sprinklers going on the newly planted lawn. Life is good. The new smoker sure did a great job on those ribs last evening. We are now thinking of what to smoke next. I got the 'experts' book on smoking and all the award stuff that goes with it to make a meal. I'll have fun today going through it. Just came in the mail yesterday. There is another yet to get here. I am at present taking a break from doing my Saturday chores. I was looking in my Chef's catelogue and have picked out the grilling baskets to get. The take down one that we used for the ribs just wasn't satisfactory for it wanted to take itself down. Can't have that, so we will get one that is in one piece and you can flip it over to do a whole chicken or other bigger cuts of meat. I also have yet to buy a veggie basket with a lid and an expandable one for fish and burgers and such. It stretches over whatever it is you are grilling. Will stretch over a chicken even. Really trick. I think that is new on the market this year.

JEAN Yikes. That cabin is expensive ~ then you have other things to rent while there. I don't blame you if you go elsewhere for sure. Isn't corn on the cob just the best! Sure beats the kind that comes in a can.

DONNA FAYE to you. Cramps, I am so thankful that I never had them. Not having them runs in my family. I had friends that really suffered and I felt so sorry for them. It is good that they keep the commissary nice and cool for you to shop in. I prefer that and where we shopped was very nice inside. that cooking class sure sounds like fun. Shurely they would let you sit on a stool or better yet why not take in a wheel chair and they wouldn't bat an eye. Don't cringe ~ it was my doctor that suggested that when I wanted to do something of that nature for my standing isn't for long periods. He also suggested renting one to go to Dolly Wood. Ever been there?

Time for me to get to work. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-12-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Thunderstorms early again this morning and now it is just cloudy and humid. Kolby's ball game was rained out, so I went to hear a "humor" speaker at the church. She was very good! I've got laundry going and need to chase some dust bunnies around upstairs. We have plans to meet Jason and family at the lake tomorrow but the weatherman says more thunderstorms, so guess we will wait and see what the weather is like in the morning.

"Gma" -- I know we used to be able to delete our own posts; I just erased mine but the title is still there. Cute pictures of Chef T! Here I thought you were talking about a chef on TV! I hope the bike is put together and waiting for you to pick it up. When you fixed fried potatoes, how did you get them to brown? I can brown the bottom layer but then when I flip them the other side never browns. I will often ask the server what kind of food they took to another table -- we've often ordered the same thing if it looked good.

Maggie -- I'm glad you are happy with your smoker. We have never done that; in fact I don't think I've ever eaten smoked anything. The first corn in the area comes from either MO or NE, and is called Candy Corn -- a mix of yellow and white kernels. Are you able to get that in Kansas?

Speaking of cooking gadgets . . . do any of you have a blender and a food processor? I've found a few magazine recipes and they use a food processor. I have a blender but always used it for liquids. I notice on the Food Network they use the processors more.

The dryer is buzzing so time to switch laundry loads. Have a nice "rest of the day" -- hope you are all doing something you enjoy.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-12-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Back Again

GOOD AFTERNOON AGAIN MAGNOLIAS

Came into my office for a brake and saw there was some action on the thread. I just made hamburger patties out of 5 pounds of lean good looking and put lemon pepper, freshly ground Italian seasoning and freshly ground pepper on both sides of the patties and have them in the fridge for when Will fires up the Webber this evening. I always like to make extras and have them in the freezer. If I don't make sandwiches out of them later I can break them up in other dishes and they are delicious that way also. I love having quick things in the freezer which makes it so much easier to eat at home and not go out for the loaded calories food.

JEAN I do hope the weather will be condusive for you to have your jaunt out to the lake. Yep we get that kind of corn here and you are so right it is delicious. I used to have a food processor but when we downsized it went to a friend, however, one is definitely on my "want list." I had many many cutting disks that went with it and probably won't buy all them again though. I do have a blender and a good slicer which have worked for me without a processor.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-12-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #10  

Good evening, ladies! It was nearly 100 degrees today. It just clouded up and got dark and I thought it was going to rain but it seems to be passing.

I went with my friend to Moon, VA to visit our other quilting buddy today. We had a great day stitching. I was down 3.6 pounds at WW this morning so I am happy. Now to keep it going. I'm going to do a second week of the Momentum menus from Book 1.

Faye, I hope the commissary had everything you wanted and you got in and out in a timely fashion. I try to shop in off hours to avoid long lines. I love corn and tomatoes, too. There should be tomatoes in the farmer's market next saturdy and maybe corn in a week or two. I've been getting the tomatoes on the vine at Kroger and they have also had good corn. Those are cute pictures of Thomas. He sure is one well-rounded kid. I'm glad they are putting the bike together for you.

Jean, that's a lot to pay for a cabin, then more for the boat, etc. Maybe you all can find somewhere else for next year. I have a blender, an immersion blender, a rocket blender and a food processor. They all do different jobs. I use the blender to puree foods, mix things, stuff like that. I use the immersion blender for soups and gravy when it lumps because I can do it right in the pan. The rocket blender makes smoothies right in there own cup, grinds nuts, mix spices, the food processor grates and slices veggies, potatoes, mixes dough, etc. I forgot I also have a mini blender for a quick chopped onion, veggies, etc. in small quantities.

Maggie, thanks for the list of what is on your bracelet. What a wonderful way to keep on track.

Have a good evening.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies! Boy, is it every hot here. It got up to near 100 yesterday and the humidity was so high you couldn't breathe when you went outside. I don't think it got under 80 last night. My AC has been on at 70 for weeks now and it got up to over 80 in the condo yesterday with the ac, ceiling fans, and box fans on. It is just awful here. I don't mind the heat, but the humidity is really hard for me to take. My linoleum flooring stays almost wet feeling most of the time. If you walk on it with shoes, you end up with shoe prints and I have to mop again and then the floor doesn't completely dry. I think we are really in for a interesting summer this year.

I saw a cute story on AOL this morning. A baseball player for the triple A league of the Boston Red Sox played a game in Indianapolis day before yesterday and his parents came to see him play. He got "called up" to the Major League Red Sox after the game so had to hurry around and catch a flight out to meet the team in Boston. His parents hurried and got tickets to Boston and when their luggage was sluggish coming from the plane to the carousel, they just left it at the airport and hurried to the game so they wouldn't miss it. The kid said he walked up to the plate, said, "How ya doin'?" to the catcher and umpire, neither of which responded. The pitcher of the other team said he threw a first pitch sinker that didn't sink but went straight across the plate and this kid hit it for a grand slam! He is only the second player to ever come from the minors then hit a grand slam on a first pitch in baseball history. His parents had their video camera going so they have that and of course the tv video of it to treasure.

Here is our little Spiderman's bike and helmet and such. We had no trouble picking it up at all and it was ready when we got there. It was harder rolling it through the store since it is little, but the little kids all oohed and aaaahed it and the older folks kept making comments about some lucky kid was getting a new bike. We had an asian couple walk up to us and ask us how much it cost! lol I guess Jackson had a great time at his party, but Alicia said it was a lot for a 3 year old and harder yet on his parents, they were pooped. It wasn't just a kids party, they always do it up for the parents too and Jay smoked a pork butt and they partied too I guess. She did a fabo job on decor. She drew exact replicas of Spiderman and some green enemy on the front window of their house then took little brown lunch bags and did beautiful spiderman characters on each bag and filled them with goodies for the kids and tied them with red and blue ribbons and put their names on each. So, I imagine fun was had by all. I am just glad the bike fits into the Mariner to take to Indiana. We have a luggage rack on top, but I wanted it inside if possible and it fit fine. The back seats come down funny in our car though. You have to sort of slide the bottom forward then tip it towards the floor and it sits vertically on the floor then you put the back down. It sure lays nice that way.

Maggie: Jack is going to put ribs out to slow smoke today. I have a couple things I need to get done then will put a couple ears of corn on. Jack likes new potatoes roasted on grill with margarine and fresh garlic so we will put that on as well. Keeps the house from heating up, that's for sure though Jack will cook outside.

Susan: Commissary was wonderfully quiet yesterday and we zipped right through. I got some lovely produce. I did get smart though and came home and took all my raspberries out of the little boxes, washed them and put them on paper towels to dry then stored them in air tight containers I have. I hope they won't mold this way. I lost a box and a half within a couple days last payday because they molded so quickly. I got fresh blueberries, strawberries, a nice canteloupe and some really beautiful white nectarines besides 4 bananas. So we are all set with fruit. I buy ff redi whip to put on top of them and it makes a great dessert without all that fat and stuff. For special if I can find it, I buy the fat free Sara Lee Pound cake and cut a slice and put berries and redi whip on it. The pound cake is hard to find though. I usually buy 2-3 if I find them and freeze them because they keep so well.

Jean: I fried my potatoes in butter Pam so I usually spray the pan, put the slices in (I cheat and use the new potato slices from a can because they hold up well) then turn before I turn them over, I spray the upside of the potatoes with a bit of the butter Pam then flip and they always brown for me. You have to have patience though and give them a good long time to brown just don't keep the heat on high or you will have blackened potatoes, lol. My mom always made fresh sliced potatoes with onions and they were very good, but that was back in the days you used shortening or lard to cook everything! lol

I am coming along on t's sock, but didn't get much work done on it yesterday as we had so much running around to do. I hope to get a lot of it done today and maybe finish tomorrow so I can get the dr's socks done. She has big feet so has to have long socks so it takes a lot longer. T's socks are a women's size 8 but dr wears a 10.

I guess I better get up from here and get some chores done before Jack gets up. At least I am feeling better this morning than I did yesterday morning. It comes and goes but I hope they can eventually sort me out and put me right without causing some other problem, like blod clots in my legs from the hormones or breast problems.

Have a wonderful Sunday and I hope you all don't get rained on today. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spideysride.jpg (40.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #12  

Good afternoon, ladies! Not quite so hot as yesterday, but too humid. We did have rain during the night.

I went to church this morning, then did a quick run to the grocery store that had double coupons up to $1 for the next 3 days. Didn't want to miss out on that and I also had one of their coupons for a free bag of salad. I came home and did a load of laundry, had my lunch, and after I get done with this I'm going upstairs to do some more piecing. A lovely day in my opinion. Tomorrow morning I have applique bee at Bella.

Faye, he's going to love that bike. It's really cute! Can I come for supper, it sounds really good. I'm having steak, baked potato and salad with fresh pineapple for dessert.

Hi, Jean and Maggie.

Have a great day.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We thought we might luck out on weather and head for the lake, but it's cold (60 degrees) with a few rain sprinkles so we are staying home. I'm sorting through laundry piles and plan to do most of it towards the end of the week when we are packing for MN.

Maggie -- I've made hamburger patties and frozen them. We always have those, chicken, and hot dogs in the freezer at the lake. Bob's mom was big on 3 course meals, but we keep it simple. Bob grills a lot and I make salads or fresh veggies to grab and go.

Susan -- It is HOT in your neighborhood! I didn't realize there were so many different kinds of blenders. I googled blender vs. food processor and the verdict was liquids for blenders and solids for processors. I just hate to grate anything because I usually end up catching my knuckles in the process.

"Gma" -- Do you have central air? I would think something is wrong if your floor feels wet. Don't slip and fall! I can do heat, but don't like the humidity either. The bike is so cute; I'm sure Jackson will be thrilled! I will give your potato method a try. I probably don't take enough time on the 2nd side.

Guess I will see if Bob is ready for breakfast since we got a late start this morning. I hope you all enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day in the neighborhood. We had thunder and lightening through the night and it all stopped in time for us to walk next door to church. We had a bunch of visitors from Texas who are traveling in their RV’s across this great country of ours and all over Alaska (which is part of our country but way up there ya know) before heading home. I wanted to go with them, but alas, I must stay here. I have traveling in my blood. We don’t plan on traveling in a motor home again but are going to get a tent trailer to use for camping excursions. We have enough furniture now, almost, to fill a small place when we do leave here. We went out to eat after services and I ordered smartly and had grilled shrimp, tossed salad and baked beans. Tonight we are going to Applebees and I do know I can choose wisely from their menu. Right now I am sipping a sugar free fat free vanilla latte and all is right with my little corner of the world.

DONNA FAYE Your gonna have a good meal when those ribs finish smoking and all the fixin’s you are making to go with. Yum. I can almost smell them from here. After church I came through the back yard and when I walked pass the smoker which is in the patio under the overhead covering I could smell the ribs that had been smoked there. The smell lingered around that area and it is sure a teaser to walk past. That bike is a hoot. That kid will be the talk and envy of the neighborhood for sure. Don’t you just love it. What a neat baseball story and achievement for that rookie player. Thanks for sharing.

SUSAN Coupons sure do pay off especially when they double them at the market. In these tight times which will be getting tighter it is wise to use them.

JEAN That doesn’t seem like a fair trade ~ day at the lake for laundry. Perhaps you will get out there sometime soon. I have one of those slicer dicer hand operated things they call a Mandolin that has a knob that protects fingers and holds the food and keeps your fingers up off the grates which works amazingly well and cost a fraction of what a processer does.. It has a dial where you can select the thickness of the cut. I think of that and then wonder why I need a food processor since my beater and blender work for other things.

I am going to go now and type at y’all later. Be safe.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #15  

Good morning gals! It is 6:30 am and already over 80 degrees here. It was near 100 yesterday and the heat index was around 110. It was stifling and so hot you could have cooked an egg on the sidewalk. I am going to head over to Kelly's around 9 or so and do a good swim workout for about an hour. I may see "the boy" if he sees my car parked in their driveway. His grandparents house across the street looks right onto their driveway, but they stay in the den in the back of the house so I don't know if he will notice or not.

Maggie: I am tellin' ya, having that bbq place across the street from the condo can be agony. Every morning around 9 am, you start smelling cooking pork and it is just heavenly. When I used to go across the courtyard to our pool every morning I would swim and smell that wonderful smell. Jack and I love to travel and by car, but we are definitely hotel only kind of people. I used to go camping with my parents when we were young and didn't care for it then and still am not a roughing it sort of gal. I guess if I had one of those million $$$$$$$$$ RV's you see on the travel channel shows I could stand it though!

Susan: I about killed Jack last night. He is a man and men seem to all be like this, but he was grilling out yesterday and left the small door and the car garage door open and never closed it. Well, he let Fortune out and little mr. "I'm free, I'm free!" decided to go awandering. I wasn't dressed and so I had to scramble into clothing and I grabbed the keys to the Mariner but when I got outside I heard Jack talking and I knew he was talking to Fortune. It was beastly hot and he came in panting to beat the band. I put ice into his water bowl and then cranked the box fan up and encouraged him to lay in front of it until he cooled off. Jack is absolutely terrible about putting anything back, etc. The charcoal, lighter fluid and tools were all laying on the patio table long after dinner was over. I refused to clean it up and yelled for him to come downstairs as the stuff had to be put away. I used to clean up after him for years, but I am old and cranky and he can just clean the stuff up himself. He knew I was major peeved about Fortune though as I didn't hide my feelings! lol I love him to death, but it is one of those "husband things" that just drives me nuts, leave things where they lay. The problem with Jack is if I do put something back where it belongs then he gets mad at me when he goes back and it isn't where he "dropped" it. So, I now just tell him, I put the keys back on the hook, or I put your glasses back in the bathroom cabinet, etc.

Jean: Sixty degrees? Man, I think I would have enjoyed that yesterday. Too bad we couldn't have traded temps because ours would have made a visit to the lake great. I am sorry the family didn't get to enjoy the lake together yesterday. Supposedly those mandolin slicers are the way to go if you want something manual to use. I don't have one, but one of these days I am going to buy one. Our floors aren't exactly wet, just feel wetish like sticky sort of or something. One of the things was Jack looked at the thermostat and the stupid thing had reset to 80 degrees so it was shutting off in the early morning which then let the condo heat up pretty fast. Our condo is very old about 35 years and the ac unit is not near big enough for the condo, but we can't afford to replace it with something bigger. It works its little heart out and puts out cold air, it just isn't big enough for a two story house.

I guess I should get the dishes put away, get some breakfast and get the rest of the chores done so I can get over to Kelly's in a few hours. Have a great start to your week all! Faye