South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

Post So I've been thinking...

...There must be a great oatmeal cookie that I can make that is op. It is mega easy to just substitute spenda for sugar, whole wheat flour for white or all purpose flour, and old fashioned for the quick cooking oats. The thing is that the recipes I keep finding all call for brown sugar in varying amounts.

Do any of you make recipes that call for brown sugar? If so what do you substitute? I know splenda makes a blend, but that isn't eliminating the brown sugar, only cutting it in half. Will it taste the same if I just use splenda or truvia in place of the brown sugar? (I'm assuming not, or the recipe would just call for white sugar only...)

And there was another question, which has totally left my mind. If I remember what it is, I'll edit this post to include it LOL.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #2  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

well, sugar twin makes a brown sugar substitute you can use for baking. Brown sugar does have a diffeent impact on your final product than white sugar. Hmm.

One thing, although it may not be the true oatmeal cookie you're hoping for, is to add oats to a low carb cookie recipe (like the peanut butter ones for example) PB oatmeal cookies?

I wasn'tg a big fan of the sugar twin; I found it had a weird aftertaste. But ev eryone is different. DH hates splenda as he thinks it has an aftertaste. I think it tastes great .. he loves aspartame tho and a lot of people hate that.. have you ever tried agave?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #3  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

what about this one?
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=673326

Its hard bc even if you avoid brown sugar, most recipes have a crapload of flour and butter. yikes. but this one looks very promising.
You could also experiment by adding a scoop of protein powder and 1/2 banana , chocolate banana oat cookies. Mmm!!

Last edited by Natalia; 06-09-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

You can use all Splenda for Baking (the stuff that has no sugar in it) to substitute for the sugar, and then add in a tablespoon or two of dark molasses to add the brown-sugar flavor. (Brown sugar is white sugar + molasses.) That's what I do. No, it's not 100% South Beach that way, but I think it's a reasonable compromise for a flavor that would otherwise be very missed. The texture will be somewhat different, of course, but the flavor will be there.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

You got me thinking, too...

I don't like to use the artificial sweeteners much. That being said, I do have some sugar-free syrups that I love (vanilla and caramel) so maybe that could be worked into a recipe.

Here are a couple of recipes I found that don't use any artificial sweeteners. This one relies on bananas. I don't normally eat bananas, maybe once every month or two, but for a delicious sweet treat it might be worth it! I'd definitely add cinnamon to the recipe.

This page has two recipes - the first one uses whole wheat flour and unsweetened applesauce, the second one uses bananas and dates... whoa, but I just noticed they both use 1/3 c. vegetable oil. That seems weird. I'd probably change that. But I'm always messing with recipes anyway so these seem like a good place to start.

A bit OT, but some of the Lara Bars have literally three ingredients - the ones I've seen always use dates. The Peanut Butter Cookie ones are made of peanuts and dates and salt. The Cherry Pie flavor is made of dates and almonds and cherries - and it's surprisingly sour - I loved it! Maybe there's something to this idea of making cookies with dates (yes, I know they are *sweet, sweet* but at least it's not processed sugar and these would be for an occasional treat).

ETA: oh, but I didn't really answer the question about brown sugar... I think the molasses idea sounds great if people are OK with having a little "real" sugar in there - not a problem for me as I'd only make these for special occasions. And if they were good , I'd probably have to give them all away

Last edited by EmmaD; 06-09-2010 at 03:41 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Just my thoughts...but I stay away from any kind of "cookie"...
they can lead to other kinds of bad stuff for me. I'm not an "eat just one" kind of cookie person...
How about making some homemade granola instead? Has the same "feel" as an oatmeal cookie and would taste better than a cookie made with fake stuff.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Cat. Cookies are dangerous territory to me, regardless of whether they are SBD friendly or not. Granola is also dangerous territory, as I have trouble eating only 1/4 cup of it.

Agave nectar is an excellent substitute for brown sugar in most recipes, but it does have calories, so beware. Use a little less than the amount called for in the recipe, as I think it's sweeter than brown sugar, but a little goes a long way.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I've been experimenting with coconut palm sugar (slightly lower glycemic than agave, crystal and sustainable). It might make a good substitute for brown sugar. Like agave it does have calories though.

Cookies are out of the question around here too, though I do well with the mock snack cake.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #9  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Cyndi, speaking of coconut...I got some coconut milk yogurt the other day at whole foods...talk about good!! I ate it with some nuts and agave and also made fruit sorbet with it. I put some frozen fruit in the vitamix, some of the yogurt, a little agave and a few ice cubes...talk about yum. That vitamix was so expensive, but I am really getting my use out of it. We have been making sorbets every night for dessert and really enjoying it.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/195/155

Height: 5' 8.5"

You guys have great ideas. And I am going to have to think long and hard as to whether I'd be able to limit my cookie intake to appropriate levels. I'd like to teach myself that sort of self control though, but maybe I should be more realistic.

Last edited by Jarlie; 06-09-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Jarlie is offline   Reply With Quote