Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #1  

Default Kashi Go Lean Cereal

So I'm in the cereal aisle looking for a breakfast cereal that does not have sugar as one of the first 3 ingredients (which I never found), and while reading the box of Kashi Go Lean Crunch I note that the third ingredient is listed as "dehydrated cane syrup crystals" which sounds suspiciously like sugar to me. I looked it up on the internet, and yep, it is sugar. Less refined than "sugar" sugar, but still, sugar. I like cereal as a snack, and it doesn't need to be sweetened. If I want sweet cereal, I can add a packet of splenda. Why does everything have to have sugar in it?
happykristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #2  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Height: 5'9"

I feel ya! I like several Kashi products and would gladly eat them regularly IF they had NO sugar!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 323/311/160

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I attempted to find a cereal without sugar but could not. Sticking to oatmeal.
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #4  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Try Uncle Sam's. No sugar there.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Meusli does not have sugar.

And why splenda? Do you not know splenda was developed as a pesticide? YUP, it's used as a pesticide! I stopped using it and moved over to Xylitol, low calories and no side effects, it's natural AND it's healthy for your teeth! .
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 AM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Arrowhead Mills Puffs. It doesn't get much more basic than that!

I get the Corn Puffs and add nuts, seeds, and fresh fruit. Yummy!
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Meusli does not have sugar.

And why splenda? Do you not know splenda was developed as a pesticide? YUP, it's used as a pesticide! I stopped using it and moved over to Xylitol, low calories and no side effects, it's natural AND it's healthy for your teeth! .

Keep xylitol away from your dog! (Noticed the cute little puppy avatar)...it's been known to cause severe health issues and/or rapid death if ingested by dogs...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #8  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I love Kashi Go Lean CRUNCH! - regardless of the sugar, it has a good amount of FIBER, and fiber is what I'm aiming for!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #9  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann7 View Post
Do you not know splenda was developed as a pesticide? YUP, it's used as a pesticide!
UGH! Maybe I'll just stick to a bit of real sugar. Right now, I use Equal (aspartame, 2-3 packets a day), but I've been having stomach issues (pain, cramping) and wonder if it's connected... Don't know if it would be the issue in small amounts, but maybe?

I found this about the birth of Splenda:

Oops! Five Accidentally Invented Foods
Published on September 4, 2009 by Webiny in Food

Splenda (sucralose)

Originally intended to be: insecticide

In 1976, two researchers at a London University experimented with their newly developed insecticide. The experiments went well and multiple tests were conducted. One day the head researcher, a native of India, told his assistant to test the latest formula. However, because of his heavy accent, the assistant misinterpreted his words as “taste it”. On doing so, he found it to be sweet. He relayed this information to the head scientist, who was shocked that his assistant would taste a toxic chemical. However after seeing no visible harm to his assistant, the scientist went so far as to sweeten his coffee with it. When the men presented their findings to the university, the use of the chemical compound sucralose as an artificial sweetener was born.

Btw, whenever I see commercials or print ads for giving kids desserts cooked with Splenda, I think "Nooooooo!". Why give kids Frankenfoods?

ETA: Very interesting in-depth article on Splenda and other artificial and natural sweeteners, and their impact on the body...

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 06-09-2010 at 10:30 AM.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #10  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I love Kashi Go Lean CRUNCH! - regardless of the sugar, it has a good amount of FIBER, and fiber is what I'm aiming for!
Agreed! That's become my daily cereal. I'm not concerned about the sugar in it as my sugar intake is low anyways- often too low for what's recommended.

BUT! If you're looking for no sugar: Kashi 7 whole grain puffs-there is no sugar in it whatsoever. The only ingredients are whole hard red wheat, whole brown rice, whole oats, whole barley, whole triticale, whole rye, whole buckwheat, and sesame seeds. Try looking where they have gluten free cereals displayed- they often put it with that and other healthy options.

It's delicious- I just had a bowl for breakfast this morning.
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #11  
Happy Member

Other no sugar cereals would include Fiber One and Post Shredded Wheat, both of which list sugars as 0g.

The aforementioned Uncle Sam cereal lists its sugars as less than 1g, which is almost nothing.

I'm going to be looking for that Kashi 7 whole grain puffs, sounds interesting.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I like the Kashi Honey Almond Flax Flavour but find it too sweet also.

I only add it to a salad once in a while or just with milk if I'm pressed with time, but I try to limit it because it has a pretty high fat content. But the benefits of the fibre and flax is what I'm going for.
Stella4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Hey everyone..just wanted to jump in here on the whole sugar substitute discussion.. lol I have been using Stevia.. it is all natural, derived from a plant and a very little goes a LONG way .. I get it at the natural health food store here.. and while as small bottle is 10$, like I said a little goes a long long way so it lasts for a very long time!

And as for the Kashi Go Lean, I use it sometimes and I do not find it sweet to the taste, not like other cereals out there and the health beneifts regadring the protein and fiber in it for me outweigh the scant amount of sugar I get in each serving.. Its just something I would have maybe every second day type thing.
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 312/299/190

Height: 6'

Grape Nuts is a great cereal with very little sugar and high in fiber. I love them!
kattywhompas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #15  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I'm off the sugar subs to and have opted for stevia (try a few dif brands, some are a little bitter) or a product called Whey Low. Anyone interested in good health should really get educated about Aspartame and Splenda.

Start with this film Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World You can watch it for free on this link.
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote