Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Question 2 LB hand weights?

Hello, I'm just scoping for other people's opinions on this one... I need to tone up my arms, I'm just wondering if start using 2 lb hand weights, if that would help tone at all? Or do you think that is not enough?
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

If 2 lb is where you want to start that is fine -- just up the weights as you progress in strength.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #3  

Don't be surprised if you outgrow those 2lb VERY QUICKLY, or don't even need to start with them. Try out some reps in the store before buying. 2lb is very little (think a liter of water).

Unless you literally never pick anything up, you are probably stronger than you think you are. Women seem to greatly underestimate their capabilities. My shoulder bag with all my random stuff in it weighs like 10-15 lbs all by itself, but I would never know that if I didn't randomly weigh it sometimes. That's like, 5-8 2lb weights that I carry around ALL THE TIME.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with trying them out at the store.
You may be able to start with 5lbs.

I have and still use 2 lb. weights, so they have their value--to me anyway.

Best wishes to you
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #5  

The workouts I use suggest 3, 5, and 8 lb. (light, medium, and heavy) weights as a starter set for women. I would start out with at least 3 lb weights.
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #6  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 167.5/150/130

Height: 5'3

I started with 5lbs and then went 10,12,16 and now 22
Tonyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I've never bothered with less than 5 lb weights.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #8  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I have a pair of 3lb handweights with a strap running from end to end, that I bought on sale at Target. I use them alone for cardio and high rep/low weights workouts. Since they have the strap, I can also use them with heavier weights to help me transition from one weight to the next. Place heavier weight in the palm of your hand and the strap across the fingers.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #9  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I still use my 3 lb weights lol I have 5 as well haven't worked past those yet.
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #10  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Those lighter weights are very nice for certain exercises done with straight arms. (Think physics: when you hold something far away from your body and try and lift it it is very difficult!)

There are certain exercises I still do with small weights (3 to 5 pounds) even though other exercises (bicep curl, military press etc) that use bigger muscles and are preformed closer to your body can easily be done at a much higher weight than you think!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
I have a pair of 3lb handweights with a strap running from end to end, that I bought on sale at Target. I use them alone for cardio and high rep/low weights workouts. Since they have the strap, I can also use them with heavier weights to help me transition from one weight to the next. Place heavier weight in the palm of your hand and the strap across the fingers
I have the same ones. The 2's and 3's I started with I still around for cardio and bridging to the next weight.

Check out www.collagevideo.com for muscle toning dvds. Start out light to learn the form and then increase as you grow stronger.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-08-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #12  
Row Mama

I may be in the minority here, but I would start with something closer to an 8 or 10lb weight. Or get a set of the dumbells with adjustable weights. 2lbs is really lighter than you think it is. It's like lifting a little kitten. If you think about it, how many times could you lift a kitten without breaking a sweat? 10 times? 15? 100? If you don't tax your muscles they won't build or get "toned."

I'm also opposed to doing exercises that isolate small muscles that are commonly done with 2lb weights. Isolating muscles like that can create imbalances and risk injury. It's better to work whole groups at a time, using the muscles to simulate movements in real life and build practical strength.
justinelauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #13  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinelauren View Post
I'm also opposed to doing exercises that isolate small muscles that are commonly done with 2lb weights. Isolating muscles like that can create imbalances and risk injury. It's better to work whole groups at a time, using the muscles to simulate movements in real life and build practical strength.
I'm not talking about isolation exercises. I use my light weights for parts of the 30DS and Jillian does nothing BUT whole body movements.

Even when I was fit I couldn't do an anterior raise with extended arms with a 10 pound weight.

There is a place for everything. I'm guessing that the OP isn't going to spend 6 months doing bicep curls and military presses with a 2 pounds weight.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #14  
Row Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Even when I was fit I couldn't do an anterior raise with extended arms with a 10 pound weight.
But an anterior raise IS an isolation exercise that focuses on the anterior deltoid. When in regular life do you make a motion that is like an anterior raise? When do you actually pick something heavy up and raise it straight out in front of you like that? 10lbs is hard for a fit woman because it is not a natural movement. If you were to raise something in front of you, you'd bend your elbows.
justinelauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I agree compound is more effective than isolation moves but I still think if you are a newbie just go with whatever you have on hand and if that's 2 lbs, so be it. Just make the best of it and be prepared to increase the weight as you progress. Just a couple of cans would be 1-2 lbs depending on the size and most people have some cans in the kitchen.

If you want to ballpark starting weights for varying things, the best beginner chart thing I ever read was in Anja Langer and Bill Reynold's "Body Flex, Body Magic." While not spot on for me in all things, it was quite close. It expressed the starting weight as a percentage of your body weight and that's what I liked. I never saw it that way anywhere else.

The only trouble it is for gym style workouts, so if you are working out at home to a DVD with dumbbells, it isn't exactly going to match and you have to consider the DVD's routine. Some are too fast to be changing weights for each thing.

But anyway I took a pix of that page in the book:

Note this is an older book -- and lat pulldowns behind the neck aren't the way to go. Do them in front.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-09-2010 at 12:00 AM.