Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Height: 5'6

Default Will 10 lbs really make a difference?

Hi all,

I'm about 8-10 lbs away from goal (goal of 128/130) and sometimes I look at my stomach and thighs and then I look at other women who weigh 130 and I can't help but think "Will 10 lbs REALLY make me look like that? They're so small!"

So, those with similar weight goals, did you notice a big difference with the last ten?

Thanks!!
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #2  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Every pound makes a difference!!!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

10 pounds made a huge difference for me I am like wow.
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

On me, you don't notice 10 lbs, but on my friend, you notice if she loses 5! It really depends on the person, and your body. I would say go for your goal though, whether it visually makes a difference or not
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #5  
Starting over =]

S/C/G: 225/185/150

Height: 5 ft 4 in

the lower your weight is the more it makes a difference, a ten lb loss on a 300 lb person would not really be very visibly noticeable, but a 10 lb loss on a person weighing 120, would be very noticeable.

Even if you dont see a difference, having a lower body fat percentage makes it easier for muscles to show if you work out and do strength training, plus less fat puts less strain on your joints and bones, so keep going!
happyveggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Like everyone said those 10 pounds will make a difference. The more you lose the more you are able to tell. If you don't want to lose more weight, or if you are having trouble why don't you try to tone your body? This way you can look small also, and toning is a wonderful thing!
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

alexandraT, I want to be u! we're the same height; I'm at my first goal of 150; and have been wondering what to set my next goal at. I've been imagining how happy I'd be to be in the low 140's and there you are at 138 and trying to get lower,

I agree with what the other posters said. As you get smaller the losses will be much more noticable! The 'paper towel theory' And all the benefits of a lighter leaner body.

keep up your great work!!

Last edited by VermontMom; 06-08-2010 at 05:42 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #8  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

It all makes a difference! x
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/136/128

Thanks everyone! I think I'm just going to keep my head down and keep plugging along and then reevaluate at 130. I think if anything then I'll just want to tone more (although I'm pleasently surprised with all the muscle definition I have now!) Also, I noticed a few small things that I didn't notice about two weeks and three lbs ago.... for example, I felt my tailbone during pilates last night and had to put an extra mat down underneath me, my hip bones were starting to stick out a little bit more, and just yesterday morning while shaving under my arms I realized I had that concave underarm problem that I read about on here months ago but didn't understand until yesterday!

Vermontmom - thank you for your kind words!! I'm sure you look wonderful!! Congrats on what you've accomplished so far
alexandraT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #10  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I agree that those 10lbs made a difference for me. There's a huge difference between me now (consistantly weighing between 134-136) and me 10lbs ago. It's a MUCH more significant difference than what 183 to 173 made.

However, I still think that after significant weight loss, our perceptions are completely distorted. This is a very real phenomenon (kind of like a phantom limb, where an amputee can still "feel" their arm or leg that they lost). When I look in the mirror, I can kind of see a difference that these 50lbs have made. But really, it doesn't seem that significant to me. I still look chubby. I still see all the same flaws that I saw before (bulgy inner thighs, poochy tummy, back fat, etc).

My very very slim friend is my height exactly. Our friends kept telling me that I was as skinny as her, albeit a different body type (she is muscular and athletic and boyish, I'm much "softer" and squishier to put it nicely, lol), but same size. We wear the same size of clothes. Both 2's in dresses, 4/6's in pants, S/M's in tops. But when I look at her, I see very skinny. She looks tiny, I would feel like a filthy liar if I said I was as small as her. Then I found out that we are the exact same weight, 135lbs. Same height, same weight, same clothing sizes, everyone else says we're the same size. But I still can't see it.

My point for all of that is...even though your last 10lbs will make a huge difference, don't be surprised if 10lbs from now you still see your same self in the mirror. People keep telling me my eyes will eventually catch up with my new body, I'm still waiting for it to happen.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #11  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I'm struggling with the same issue right now. I tell myself that 8 pounds is not going to make a difference. I know what parts of my body are going to have extra fat and which parts are lean. But truthfully, I know 8 pounds will make a difference in how I look. I will look more toned if I get to goal.

Honestly, I think I'm scared about ending my weight loss journey and facing maintenance. So I've stalled with my weight loss. But I know I have farther to go in my journey, especially in terms of integrating daily exercise in my life.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Go with a goal you are comfortable with and that is healthy for your body type.

But...the next time you are in the grocery store....pick up a 10 pound bag of potatoes (or sugar or flour) and see how much difference you think it would make to lose that much weight.

Good luck!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think the closer you are to goal the more difference 10 lbs make.

mkendrick - I have somewhat of the same phenomenon but skewed. I always look the same size but everyone else changes size. My mind perceives relative size fairly accurately. But I am the "norm standard" so when I gain weight everyone else shrinks and when I lose weight everyone else gets bigger. Bizarre.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #14  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Thank you for this post, I'm in you're same situation, but my goal is a littler higher. I'm 10lbs away from 145 where I'm hoping I'm happy. If not I'm ok with going as low as maybe in the high 130s, but it's hard to image that 10lbs is going to make that much of a difference. I just have to keep reminding myself what a difference the last 10 have made.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post

However, I still think that after significant weight loss, our perceptions are completely distorted. This is a very real phenomenon (kind of like a phantom limb, where an amputee can still "feel" their arm or leg that they lost). When I look in the mirror, I can kind of see a difference that these 50lbs have made. But really, it doesn't seem that significant to me. I still look chubby. I still see all the same flaws that I saw before (bulgy inner thighs, poochy tummy, back fat, etc).
That's such a good point.

I also think that we have a vision of what we will look like if we can "only get down to goal". And when we get to goal and don't look like that, it's a feeling of being let down.

There's two parts to weight loss, the physical and the emotional/mental. You could lose another 10 lb physically and look different, but you have to lose the 10 lb emotionally/mentally too!

~BreathingSpace~
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote