South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 283/283/150

Height: 5'6"

Default V8 Juice?

I was reading that it is recommended to have 6 oz. of V8 juice with breakfast (if you are not otherwise getting veggies with breakfast). I have never been a veggie eater at breakfast, so I've been drinking a V8 every morning with my breakfast. I have a question though. I'm finding it very hard to get in my 4-5 cups of veggies a day. I usually eat a salad at least once a day, and I have a serving of beans. For example, if I eat a salad for lunch, then I have a serving of green beans with dinner. I feel like I am eating way too much if I fix a huge salad or eat 2 cups of beans! It just doesn't seem like it is okay to eat that much. If I find that I am not getting enough veggies, is it okay to drink another V8, or is one V8 a day the limit? I'm not exactly fond of the stuff, but it is an easy way to drink your veggies.
candacem86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2  
NewLifeofPam

S/C/G: 175/169/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Hi there,

Have you tried nibbling on celery sticks, peppers, radishes , etc., during the day, to up your veggie intake? I'm not sure about the V8, it does have some carbs in it and I think its also pretty high sodium. I just drink one little one each day and its actually for my salt fix.

Also, if you are having a healthy sized salad, you are probably getting 2 cups already of just lettuce, just cut up some other veggies and add to that.

For dinner I usually make 2 kinds of veggies if I am not having a salad. The mashed cauliflower is really good!

Hope that helps.
NewLifeofPam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #3  

I love to eat cucumbers for my snacks, so I guess that counts towards my veggie intake, too. When I drink the V8 in the morning, it's the little 5.5 oz can.

Thanks for the tips...I will try the mashed up cauliflour! I've never liked it before, but I am learning to try new things.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #4  
NewLifeofPam

Put some buttery topping or spray and some spices (garlic & onion powder & oregano) on the cauliflower and make sure you drain it really really well after boiling to get all the extra water out.

I've also been snacking on a "coleslaw" like thing I make with a bag of cabbage salad (red & green and white cabbage) and I mix that with tiny cut up broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc. and put some mayo and lemon juice and vinegar and mix it up. It's a nice change from the green leaf salad

Pam
Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #5  

Pam, your version of coleslaw sounds so good to me! I love coleslaw, but thought I couldn't have it because of the sugar. Now, I see I just have to fix it your way! Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #6  
NewLifeofPam

Your most welcome!! I use a little bit of Stevia (natural sweetener) to make it sweeter.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

There are some really great vegetable dishes in the recipe section of this forum. Part of the reason SB works so well is that by increasing the veggies in your diet you are too full to eat all the other stuff we used to fill up on. Plus it's much healthier to eat that way. The Taco Bake is a great way to eat more veggies. Also roasting a lot of veggies like cauliflower, peppers, zucchini, grape tomatoes, asparagus, onions is super. Just sprinkle with olive oil on a baking sheet and throw in the oven for 30 min. and they're much tastier. I make huge salads at the salad bar at work and add lots of veggies to it, plus at least 2 servings with supper. If you stick with salads a lot, try using the darker green varieties and not rely on iceberg lettuce so much, which has far fewer nutrients.

A few favorite recipes:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...rack-slaw.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...e-phase-i.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...alian-pie.html

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-07-2010 at 09:52 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

My fave is the spagetti squash pie. I make it (on the squash "crust") with fresh tomato and basil, cheese, lots of garlic, mushrooms and pepperoni or salami. It is SO good and a great way to get lots of veggies in. Hmmmmm I think I'll make it tomorrow!
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  
NewLifeofPam

Yumm, those all sound delicious - I love spaghetti squash!!

Last night for supper I had Pizza!! I used ground chicken breast as the 'crust" and piled it high with peppers & mushrooms!! So yummie! I'll have to check the recipe section to see if it's in there and I'll add if its not.