Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default June Chat

New month and new resolve. Four months from today I will be landing in Rome and want to be in much better shape by then. I seem to be stalled lately although the BGL has been steady.

Just realized I'm due for bloodwork so will set that up today. HA1C was 6.7 in January and I'm hoping it's lower this test.

Today will be a relatively relaxing day. It's raining so I can't be out there doing heavy gardens stuff - maybe just some treadmill before my bath.

Raising my coffee mug to a great June for us all!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default new month new resolve

Ruth, you will be great. I think the key is to really got out and walk and get fit with this great weather, If we can't do it now, when? I really need to do it too. I am doing fine with diet and glucose control, but need to get more fit. Don't want too much saggy baggy skin from lack of fitness, as the weight slowly peels away. (too slow for me, but that is life, at least its going....)
So I will go for a little walk this evening, to honour you.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY JUNE, everyone ~ it our anniversary month; will be 21 years on the 14th ... still hanging in there ... Having a good week: still on plan and getting in some walking and exercises too (at my own pace though) ...

Have a great week ... R
Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Need to get back to drinking more green tea. I'm getting sick now, DH brought home some lovely summer cold and now I'm feeling particularly under the weather.

He actually had a fever of over 102.5 at one point the other night, so I'm kinda worried for when I start seeing fever numbers like that!

Blood sugars have been ok otherwise. somewhat high, but I am actively testing (every 2 hours) to try and stabalize them again.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #5  
Madeleine

Default Metformin and leg pain

Butter mentioned this in a couple of previous posts, I had an episode a couple of weeks ago of a sore leg, felt like I had had a bad leg cramp. Since metformin is known for using up folate in the system, I started taking a B complex supplement. I rarely do this, since I eat meats and lots of veggies, don't feel I need it. THe soreness went away and I forgot about it, as well as the supplement. ANyhow, it happened again, and went away again after the b supplement. I guess I will stay on the B's. If anyone else is getting this side effect, try a b complex supplement and see if it helps before you give up on the metformin. I can take the gas I get from it, but the leg cramps are NOT nice. I would be hard pressed to stay on it with that, if I couldn't get relief.
My sugars are great. Even with the little carb binges I had on the weekend, my sugars were never over 6.5 mmol! I am really pleased with the overall effect of the metformin so want to stay on it, at least until my weight loss goals are met and I like my pancreas will be ready to handle life on its own.

Cassandra, Happy Anniversary. We celebrated 25 in February, with the right man, it just gets better!
Well, gotta get out while the sun is shining, we expect thunderboomers later today.
Happy Wednesday friends.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #6  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Ruth - Italy sounds grand! I'm green with envy.

Rosebud - on 21 years of marriage.

Casandra - I've noticed that being sick will sometimes elevate my numbers. Green tea sounds like a great remedy.

Fatmad - Thanks for the info on met and leg pain.

September 2nd is a short three months away. It is my anniversary day for my healthier lifestyle. While I've come a long way so far, I am hoping to get into onederland by then. My numbers have been stable, even with the extra calories from the holiday weekend. I took Lucy to the vet yesterday and she weighed in at 135 lbs. My not so little couch potato needs to go on a diet. She doesn't have a big belly (like me ) but could afford to lose 15 lbs. Happy June, everyone.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #7  
Madeleine

Mr Z: I hope you are taking Lucy out for walks/runs when you go, that will help as well as careful measurement of food. A diet buddy, just perfect
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I've been getting complacent lately... a little more carb here and there. We went camping over the holiday weekend, which was wonderful! But a few nibbles of chips, and the highly salted foods we eat when camping (bacon, hot dogs, beef stew, cheese, nuts, etc.) did a number on my sugars and the scale, respectively.

Good news is that I've had my once-a-month weigh-in and measure, and I'm down four pounds since last month, and lost three inches on my hips and one on my belly. So it's working, even if it's slow.

Going strongly low-carb again. I can tell I was easing up into too-high territory because I've begun craving sweets. I bought cookies for camping, for husband and daughter, but I ended up eating one... and I want more. /sigh So very few carbs the next few days, to get rid of the cravings and keep my numbers low.

I'm due for blood work, too. I'm planning to go next week, which I hope will be enough time for my morning numbers to drop again.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #9  
Rosebud

CASANDRA ~ hope you are feeling well real soon ...

MAD ~ thanks for that info; will up my Vitamin B a bit to see if that helps ...

MR. Z ~ thanks, I appreciate that; I looked at your pictures and that must be nice to see them after all your hard work. I hope you scrapbook them for the good memories ...

SYNGER ~ congrats to you for the great loss of lbs and inches too; that must be really encouraging -- I know it is for me. WE all makes mistakes, but the key is to just keep on going ...

RUTH ~

We have had really nice spring-like weather this week; a few sprinkles here and there, some , some clouds, and some breeze too; really nice! Hope you all have a FANTABULOUS FRIDAY tomorrow ... R
Old 06-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Hanging in there but it's been a difficult week. Scale is stuck but BGL is fine. I go for HA1C next Wednesday.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #11  
Madeleine

synger, I am really impressed with the inches, that is amazing, and not really reflected in pounds. That is all fat lost in those 4 pounds for sure.
I got out walking again today, and stuck to plan even when my co-worker brought in some wonderful cookies today. (they are whole grain, loaded with nuts and seeds and raisins. really yummy "health cookies", not low fat at all though! and of course full of carbs which I avoid.)
hockey game tonight, will stick to peanuts in the shell if I need a snack
Old 06-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Big weekend here with celebrations of the 200th anniversary of our old Mill. There's been lots of food and drink around but I'm holding the line. Walking everywhere is helping!

I'm looking forward to a relatively normal week although there are two more food events; a church ham dinner on Wednesday and a spaghetti supper on Saturday. Luckily I am a worker at both of these which makes it easier to "eat around" the events. I usually say I've already eaten or will eat later, depending on the shift I am working. People really don't pay much attention when you are not sitting at a table.

I was considering low-carbing for a while but it's strawberry season! I will try to avoid starchy carbs for a while though. Yesterday I was handed a hot dog in a bun and managed to eat just the sausage without anyone noticing. I "shared" the bun with a visiting dog - Labs are great companions in cases like that! When the Mayor is guest cook and hands you food, you just don't say no.

On with Sunday.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

The nice thing about berries is that they're relatively low-carb (as fruits go). I usually aim for fewer than 100 carbs a day (but often am lower than 50), but don't worry too much about veg carbs and berry/melon carbs. I track them, but when I eat them with a meal they don't spike me too badly.

I went for my three month blood labs this morning. My measurement of fasting was 97, so I'm hoping the lab is low, too. This will be the A1c that shows whether my moderate-carb diet over the past few months has had an impact on my overall BG.

I also stepped on the doc's scale, and it said 282! Woot! When I visited the doc on March 10 this year, I was at 309. Twenty-seven pounds in three months ain't nuthin' to sneeze at!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #14  
Madeleine

Oh synger, I am so jealous of your weight loss, but in a happy and friendly way!. I have only managed to go 15 pounds in 6 months. My loss is VERY slow. I hope to get below 170 before the end of June, but am not sure it will happen.
I have occasional times of going slightly off plan, but other than the week around my mother's funeral, have been very good. Now that my sugars are in good control I may go to south beach from atkins.
Happy monday everyone, hope you have a good week
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #15  
Rosebud

RUTH ~ I do the same as you; I very rarely eat a bun with a hot dog or sausage, and I give the bread to our dear FIDO too! This has been a trick that I have done for years: I used to eat only half the whole wheat bun, but now I skip it all together and have it with a salad instead.

We had a busy weekend; had some company on Saturday; then we went out on Sunday to one of our favorite places (ya, a lake) and for a nice, quiet drive too. Came home and had an ez oven dinner (cooks night off). Did some shopping today; picked up some stuff to fix the roof on our camper; and some shims for the cottage floor which is the next thing on our "TO DO" list. WE hope to go up there this week and get some stuff done.

Doing well on the eating and exercise front; am doing another personal challenge "NO JUNKIES JUNE" meaning, no chippies or nachos for me ... just nuts ... haha! Hope you all have a great week too ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-07-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Closed Thread