Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Sugar Rant +how many calories in a starbucks cream americano?

I am so mad at myself though it's not really my fault. I was going to "treat" (sorta) myself with a small black coffee from starbucks. DH said ok I'll take 2 creams and 2 splendas. I was expecting little packets they toss at you but they mix it in for you! Very helpful and nice but argh! So when I ordered I said 2 tall americanos (I didn't know short existed as tall was the smallest on the menu, another booboo) with 2 creams and 3 splendas. Thought ok I didn't know starbucks carried splenda... i'll sprinkle a little in there, but just a little as I am not drinking my calories right now and avoiding chemicals as best I can. He goes for each? And I say uhh *stammer* no altogether... still expecting my little Denny's tub of creams and some sugar packets. I get up there and he's mixed it in and I'm so embarrassed I'm ignorant I give him a weird smile and run. So I have no idea what the **** I have now but it's sweet as all **** and creamy. I might as well have gotten what I wanted.. a mocha. I am now thinking I turned my black coffee into a 300 calorie drink And I am a total sugar addict and any non fruit sugar sets off my crazy omg I'm gonna rob the Hershey chocolate factory needs So my first sip was ugh this is sooo sweet (as I haven't had any sweets for one whole month yay). Better try it again.. well maybe not that bad and my third was a jager meister chug at a frat party. I cannot control myself around sweets at all and it's really hard for me to detox off of them. It's like drugs. Shakes, crazy temper, the whole shabang The absolute NEED to fullfill an addiction. So now I feel bad I'll probably be storming up and down the hallway complaining about the paint on the wall for the rest of the day and make everyone miserable because I really want to down the rest and I know sipper DH won't even finish his let alone mine.

I told dh to take it away after i was half way done but it's right behind me 3 feet away >.< I am such an addict. I feel like a loser But typing here has put a few minutes between me and it.

I tried to look up cream and couldn't get exactly the count. Sounds like it was possible 2 servings of whole milk.. which isn't bad but means I now have to think of this as a snack and I wanted my little fruit dish I make for my snacks AND NOW I DON'T HAVE ANY COFFEE! lol. See total addict! All I can do is taste the sugar on my tongue.. wow. I do ok with crystal light but apparently not splenda. And I'm only drinking crystal light because DH is. I find I will eat/drink anything he does and I simply cannot do that. He has this amazing ability to add 20,000 calories to 3 ounces of chicken. I'm not even kidding. It's an absolutely amazing ability. An ability that will kill us but still I've never seen anyone cook like that (but it IS good).

If it had been black I would have nursed this thing for 24 hours, not chug it.

I use to drink back in college venti mochas with all the fixings chocolate whipping cream and shots of rasberry, down it in 5 minutes and go back for more. Caffeine has very if no effect on me, but I'm sure diet soda has tamed that part of me though I am not drinking that either right now.

Wow, I really went off. Might have been easier to go flog myself lol. Hope ya'll don't think I'm nuts now :P

You know what? I am sitting here secretly hoping you guys give me the ok to down them like water. I am expecting someone to come on here and go oh it was only 50 calories no big deal. It IS time for my dinner and I've already eaten plenty today and I would rather go have my veggies and whatever else I choose to than down this and sit here hungry. Fck it I'm gonna dump it. One little coffee should not freak me out. I'm also a penny pincher and hate throwing things out. I'm gonna go dump it and hopefully it was no more than a full calorie soda! And I'm gonna get my... hmmm.. maybe some broccoli!

Last edited by wannabesomebody; 06-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.
wannabesomebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #2  

I'm totally scared to have post that. It's like coming out of the closet or something. I'm so embarrassed.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #3  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I think you're fine!! Of course it's not calorie-free, but I think that it probably only has about 100 calories. A tall latte with whole milk and sugar has 180 calories, so without the sugar you're probably between 100 and 120.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #4  
It's about time

And don't be embarrassed!! I just threw a fit the other day on this forum about my Dunkin Donuts vanilla latte being way more milky than I wanted. I don't know if this is true of most people, but I know that I tend to obsess a little when I order something within a certain caloric budget and it's made to be more fattening than I ordered. It makes me feel out of control with my diet, and I'm too early in this thing to have slip-ups that I didn't cause! Hang in there
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I know exactly how you feel...you need to take a minute and calm down...maybe go for a walk. Drink some extra water. And this is a one time thing...it was a misunderstanding, and you can now avoid starbucks if that is what you choose. While I do feel your pain with the sugar addiction...(I have an all out carb addiction...once I start I go nuts and it takes several days of hard labor to get back on track)...you should have tried harder to disengage yourself from the beverage from the first sip when you seem to have gone nuts...Like pour it out the window...or have DH pour it out the window...one silly beverage is not worth being angry and bonkers for the rest of the day! I hope you feel better!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #6  
It's about time

Also, I don't know if you drank it yet or not, but you could just drink half now and save the rest. You could also brew some at home and add it to half so you have 2 half-as-creamy coffees—one for now, one for tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #7  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Relax sweetie...breathe. This is not worth getting your blood pressure up over.....if this will make you lose sleep or stress..go drink it {or not) & just start anew tomorrow. Weight loss is about taking back your control..."your control."

You can re-balance out your daily/weekly calories to where this drink won't make a dent unless you allow it to have control over you (domino effect). If it's 500 cals ...take 100 cals out of each of your next 5 days. Strategy....that's what I would do anyway. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Last edited by MissKelly; 06-05-2010 at 07:42 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #9  

oh thank you. I feel so much better and a bit silly. I drank half of it already and I did dump the rest. Though dh's is over there nearly full... the *******! I could hide it in the cupboard Yes, I feel one slip and down the rabbit hole I stumble. DH said what I've said so many times through out my life tonight as I left... "I already messed up get me a whopper too." I've done that.. and if I say that then I figure oh better binge then as much as I can before midnight! And that's not cool. I did NOT get him that whopper by the way. Tough love. I won't be an enabler or as best that I can.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #10  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Don't worry.
One cream in a large Timmy's coffee = 70 cals. (Just checked for you)
large timmy's is 14oz where a tall at SBux is 12oz.. so close
Even if the barista gave you double cream, you wouldn't have more than 140 calories. Plus . if you had gotten a mocha you'd be on a sugar bender right now

Try the tall skinny cinnamon dolce latte. It is so incredibly good I buy one everyday, and only 90 cal !! (One serving of milk)
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

You definitely sound a little nuts, no offense, but some perspective may be needed. It was a drink, and accidentally mixed wrong. I go by a basic rule - if you want it done right, do it yourself. Meaning, I cant get mad at DH for not understanding my drink nuances. It's one item, not the end of the world.

Was it a short Americano? A tall or grande? I would be surprised if it had more than half a cup of half n' half in it, in which case you had maybe 300 calories, max, of a drink. Similarly, if it had more than two tbsp. of sugar in it it would have been revoltingly sweet, so that is also not very many calories, but a safe bet if you want to narrow the range.

I understand sweet addictions and that this may trigger cravings, but I honestly think you're giving way too much power away to a FOOD item. Nothing will make or break your day if you don't let it. Just move on and breathe

We all get a little caught up in our diets from time to time, it happens, but forgive yourself, forgive your DH's mistake, and realize that even IF this gives you a wicked sugar hangover for a few hours YOU are still in control and you can handle it, one good decision at a time for the rest of the day.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Forget about it...learn from your mistake and move on....

just as my wife did today....

We usually walk the dogs to Starbucks on Saturday morning, a 4 mile walk, I have a tall black coffee and my wife has tea and usually a scone. This morning when she came outside with our drinks she sat down...

I asked her if her scone wasn't ready yet. She said she wasn't getting one...I asked why and she said she had gone to a Coffee Bean the other day before an appointment...had a tea and scone...looking at the nutritional list she saw the scone had 700 calories in it!

Now my wife does not have a weight problem and is usually well aware of what she is eating...she isn't in denial either... but she did say she really had no idea the scones she got were that high in calories...

Don't think she will be having many of those treats anymore
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #13  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabesomebody View Post
oh thank you. I feel so much better and a bit silly. I drank half of it already and I did dump the rest. Though dh's is over there nearly full... the *******! I could hide it in the cupboard Yes, I feel one slip and down the rabbit hole I stumble. DH said what I've said so many times through out my life tonight as I left... "I already messed up get me a whopper too." I've done that.. and if I say that then I figure oh better binge then as much as I can before midnight! And that's not cool. I did NOT get him that whopper by the way. Tough love. I won't be an enabler or as best that I can.
Good for you, don't give into that lip, it doesn't have to end that way. The difference between success and failure isn't if we screw up or not, but our willingness to keep going AFTER we screw up. Life happens, imperfect or unplanned eating happens, and the best thing YOU can do is not let it change your mind about what you are committed to do.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #14  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Don't worry about it I even think I went a teeny bit over my daily count with the seaweed salad I had for lunch yesterday. Since it's going to be so hot in the summer, maybe if you like sweet, cold things I can help you with that. My outlets when I have my ice-cream/chocolate cravings are Skinny Cow ice cream bars/cones (100-140 calories each), Weight Watchers Cones/Cups/Sandwiches/Pops (Usually 100-180* calories), or my mom just got these new fudge-icle minipops on sticks -- each one is 60 calories and they come in white, milk, and dark chocolate variety. I hope I helped at least a little

*This is only for the extreme WW Cups like Turtle Sundae or Peanut Butter.
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #15  
amazing

S/C/G: 214.5/185.2/115

Height: not quite 5'1"

Next time, order the splenda and cream "on the side"
HokieLoki is offline   Reply With Quote