Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default Another clothes size question

I didn't want to hijack a thread.

I am 147# 5'8.5" and measured for Land's End at size 10, medium top. I am confused because I am used to thinking larger sizes for me. 7 years ago, I wore 14's. I am wearing them now. So I don't know what to think except that I need to go to several stores and start trying clothes on. I ordered 2 swim suits & 3 t-shirts, free shipping, in case they are too small and I can easily return them.

I really don't care what the clothing size says but I do need to know what number fits on my body. Right now, I really don't.

Could sizes have changed this much? Is there a difference between catalogues and department stores?

Thoughts & comments are appreciated.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Different shops vary in their sizing charts. For example, Topshop clothes are generally a bit smaller than, say, H&M. In Topshop a UK 8 is a decent, slightly hugging fit but in H&M it feels more like a UK 10/12. Places like Gap even have their OWN ~special~ sizing charts, which confuses the **** out of me.

Also, the size of top/dress you need may change with the cut of the clothing. With certain cuts that're more baggy and open you might get a size smaller than you'd generally be and so on.

Apparently what is classed as "obese" and "overweight" has changed in recent years so perhaps clothing sizes have as well, I don't know. But also remember that old clothes you have will have stretched over time, whether from being worn, washed or folded/scrunched up or just from age, so a 14 you may have had from years ago might now be more of a 16 or even more because the fabric has stretched and aged both by being worn and just generally aging.

Oops I wrote an essay.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have heard that clothing sizes have changed a lot. They make the sizes bigger so people feel better about the number on the tag. I got down to 150 14 years ago (I am 5'9") and I was a size 10 then (which would probably be an 8 now). I am sure a 10 would fit you (maybe even an 8!! Depending on your shape!).
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #4  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm 5'7" and weight 174lbs. I wear 12's and even bought a pair of 10's yesterday. I carry all my weight in my butt, thighs, boobs, and upper arms.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #5  

I am off to the stores this morning on a fact finding mission.

I tried on all of my party dresses, classic style, of years ago. One dress was a 14 a bit loose (not saggy) and 2 others 12. My cords and capris of years ago are loose and 14's. I almost cried but I didn't want to ruin my newly applied makeup and have puffy eyese doing something I really never thought I would ever really do- enjoy clothes shopping. I have broad shoulders, so this has always been a trouble spot with sleeved shirts and jackets.

I will post more this afternoon but these feelings are quite surprising. Even though I am bringing my clothing envelope, this is strictly a data collecting enterprise.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Clothing sizes have changed a LOT. Plus fabrics are different, seems like almost everything has a bit of lycra these days.

Today, I'm wearing a pair of size 16 capri pants. But I still have my ~10 year old old size 16 Victoria Secret jeans that aren't even remotely close to fitting. My guess is I'll be in a 12 in newly purchased clothing before those old jeans fit again.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #7  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

Clothing sizes have changed. I was fitting into my old, probably 6 year old, size 11's but could go to most stores and fit into a size 4 or 6, or 7 jr's. Makes me feel kinda good fitting into those "smaller" sizes but then again, doesn't! Anyways, thought I share since I had sort of the same thing happen.
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm surprised by what you're saying about current Land's End clothes. I am much shorter and a good bit heavier than you and am in a 12 at Land's End. I just went shopping at the store last week and all 12's fit. I was thrilled, but didn't believe it at the same time. Their clothes do run big, I think. But I haven't been shopping in over a decade, not really, so I too am shocked at what sizing has done.

Based on your height and weight, I'd say feel confident in the size you think you are. Their measurement chart put me in a 12 too, but I went to the store to double check. Do you know they're located at Sears?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #9  

I am a bit confused about LE too. I tried on jeans yesterday. I mostly fit into 12's, one 14, no 10's. S/H was free so returning if needed will be low. I think I will probably head to the department stores then.

I prefer jeans/pants to sit at my natural waist line, not midrise which seems more the norm these days. I wonder if being taller makes a difference in how clothes fit. I don't like tight snug clothing so that is another factor. So confused I am, but I know one thing, I am back in the missy department which is nice.

Is there a tall girl subforum?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Oh my goodness, that whole "modern fit" crap boils me! LOL! I do not want to bend over and feel my pants slide down. I like my waist up around my natural waist as well, and that makes me feel old! I'm only 35! I feel like we're all being delegated to the old lady section which is the only place once can find pants made that way. Even at Land's end where they have three different fits, their store (at Sears) only carries Modern Fit and they're awful!! I have hips, darnit. I am a woman. I've had children. I have hips! And if the pants fit my hips, that crazy below the waist thing has a literal 2 inch gap at the waist in the back. How many WOMEN do you suppose are built that way? Teenage girls maybe...

Last edited by Eliana; 06-05-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #11  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I like my waist up around my natural waist as well, and that makes me feel old! I'm only 35! ..

I'm the exact opposite. I feel old and frumpy when I put on a pair of pants or jeans that fits my natural waist. Give me low rise any day. Then again, my natural waist is quite high, just under my ribcage. I don't think anybody likes their pants that high, but I could be wrong.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
I'm the exact opposite. I feel old and frumpy when I put on a pair of pants or jeans that fits my natural waist. Give me low rise any day. Then again, my natural waist is quite high, just under my ribcage. I don't think anybody likes their pants that high, but I could be wrong.
That's what I mean. The fact that I LIKE them up at my waist makes me feel old. But no, my waist is not that high. But I really do like my waist band around my belly button. It's not so much about the front as it is the back. Those low rise jeans just don't cover the bum.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/161/145

Ugh, it's always an issue for shopping for decent pants! I'm in a size 14 or so these days, depending upon the store, depending upon the name brand and style, etc. It ALL varies so much!! I fit some 12's and some 16's are snug! There is no standard and there are no rules.

But anyway, I find that when I shop for work slacks, they either fit great in the leg/length but the waist is more than halfway to my boobs! What's up with THAT! Or, if I find some that fit perfect at the waist, not too high, well they are too long and too flared. What DOES fit good are petite capris! Low waist and I don't have to worry about them being too long, LOL!
jenlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #14  

Just saw another post that a woman was 20# heavier according to the ticker than me & she fit in 10s nicely for her. Even accounting for personal snug fit variations, it still makes me wonder what gives with my body. If I could get this analyzed better, it would help in buying clothes easier. I like to bring all my clothes to try on in the fitting room at one time. No dressing, undressing, get another size, style type thing.

I must be missing something.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
That's what I mean. The fact that I LIKE them up at my waist makes me feel old. But no, my waist is not that high. But I really do like my waist band around my belly button.
This is a perfect example of why it's so hard to know what anybody else means when talking about their waist or how their pants fit or what is high or low rise. My belly button is three inches lower than my rather defined waist. So that's a huge difference in pants that fit at my waist (way above my belly button) and pants that fit at your waist (at your belly button).

I think it's amazing any women ever find pants that fit
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote