Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Sugar withdrawl?? Need advice, encouragement or a good kick in the....

I decided to go cold turkey on sugar. I did well the couple days, than I ate something, I don't even remember what, but I remember about 5 minutes after I ate it... it had sugar in it and I didn't even think about that! Darn! Okay, no big, just no more. The last 2, 2 1/2 days maybe I've been out of control. I felt like I needed it, I've binged on it. I feel like crap. Physcially, emotionally and my moral is way way down and my anxiety is way up. I'm exhausted most the time and bitc*y most of the other times.
I know I'm not getting enough sleep, for a whole host of reasons (kids, allergies, houseguest... ) but I don't know which contributes to what. Am I exhausted because I'm not getting enough sleep and it kicks my cravings for carbs, fatty, sugary carbs, into high gear or is it the sugars causing me to go into a funk?

Anyone else who kick the sugars have any advice? How did you make it through? I already screwed up today, but I really, really want to recommit and am doing so from this point on (not tomorrow, not Monday, NOW). I want to be free of these cravings and insane mood swings and energy funks and I could really, really use some advice, input, suggestions... how do you kick the sugar habbit?

I wish that they had a willpower pill, cause honestly, my will power sucks. I've decided my new mantra will be "I want to be smaller more than I want...."
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Getting off sugar has been KEY for me. After so many years of bingeing, after going low carb and getting OFF sugar I am binge free for 13 weeks now.

The first 3 or 4 days are hard but after that it does get easier. Just keep going and remember if you start eating sugar again you'll have to go throught withdrawal all over.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #3  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Just re-commit and watch the labels. I'm okay with a small amount of berries or 1 piece of 90% choc, but anything that is processed and has sugar(everything) will send me over the edge too. Something helpful is making sure you're eating enough fats to satisfy yourself throughout day.

You can do it!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

I didn't have any sweets while I was losing weight, but I did eat fruit which really helped a lot. I also used Spenda, but I know that can trigger off cravings in some so you may have to experiment.

Hang in there; it does get easier!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Those first few days are difficult but it does get better. Stay very busy. I found that chewing sugar free gum helped. Hang in there!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #6  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Going through the Phase I of South Beach really helped me! I know a couple people who did Phase I and then followed other food plans. I recently needed to go back on Phase I eating for a few days because I had been eating some foods that triggered my cravings again (bread). Cleaned my cravings right up.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I can always tell when I've let my carbs, especially sweets, creep too high, because the cravings come back. When I'm eating moderate carbs, and avoiding sugar consistently, I just don't have the cookie/chocolate/sweets cravings.

you CAN get back on the no-sugar wagon, and you CAN survive those first few days of withdrawal. It WILL get better the longer you are on-plan.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #8  

Took me a long, long time, including developing Type 2 diabetes.
I knew I had it licked when I grabbed my niece's coffee by mistake and instinctively spit it out. So you will loose the 'tolerance' and things will taste way too sweet that you used to mainline.
froggydawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Pick yourself back up and try again! I've had to go through withdrawal several times. It's an on-going battle, but so very worth it.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You just have to suck it up and do it. There is no way around it. Remember, you don't have to have something just because you want it. It's okay to tell yourself no!! Don't cave. Don't give in. NO MATTER WHAT. It's no longer an option to eat it. This is what you MUST tell yourself. You just can't/WON'T do it. You MUST work past the discomfort. As hard as it seems, you must keep on reminding yourself that there is pay off. A BIG pay-off. Remember, you're an adult and you must make mature, rational decisions.

Keep yourself busy - knit, sew, drink cold water, hot tea, clean the closets, the drawers, dust, polish the furniture, read, write, computer, run in circles - whatever you have to do - just don't give in. Because every time that you do, you must than start the cycle all over again.

You have the ability to do this. You are CAPABLE of not eating some sugar laden foods. You don't have to give into a craving. Those cravings ARE strong, but be certain of this - you ARE stronger. Push yourself. Discover what you're made of - and transform your life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Also I highly recommend the book The End of Overeating. It explains why certain foods seem to have an addictive nature, and how to overcome that.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #12  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Sometimes sugar cravings can be caused by low serotonin. Try supplements like magnesium, B6, or zinc to boost your serotonin. (B6 works wonders for me!)
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you may have talked about this before, but I'm wondering if some of what you're going through with the cravings and energy levels isn't hormonal. I get that way right before and during my TOM. Plus, the summer heat does weird things to my cravings and appetite (and energy).

for me, exercise helps even it out. so does making taste satisfying meals with a good protein. protein fills me in a different way when I'm going through that. now might be a good time to put a little extra effort into the meals until you're in a better place. for me, part of it is mental, all the cravings then having the feeling of deprivation on top it all can lead me to eat stuff I really don't want to.

to be honest, I don't see it so much as will power as it is just setting yourself up to get over a hump. if you can, don't have the sugar stuff around so you're tempted.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote