Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #1  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Thumbs up C25K: Get Running, Get Fit!

Hello Ladies!!!

I think it's safe to say that most of us have heard of the C25K program! So many people rave about how wonderful and awesome and amazing it is, so why shouldn't we give it a shot, too!? I think it's time to make that effort!

In case you aren't aware, C25K stands for Couch-to-5K program! Over the span of 9 weeks, you use intervals of walking and jogging to build up your stamina, so you can eventually run a 5k race OR for 30 minutes straight. You can do this on a treadmill or just outside! There are all sorts of useful resources available for those that want to try taking on the challenge, even apps for your iPhone/iTouch!

You can find the program schedule, along with some other information at this link. Always remember that in the end, you are doing this for yourself, so if you feel that you need to modify the intervals or times to better suit your body, GO FOR IT!

I want this thread to become a group of friends who supports each other through the ups and downs of this learning process! So please feel free to tell us a little bit about yourself. And don't think you can't hop in because you're already well into the program! I'm sure anyone new would love having people with a little time under their belt to give some advice!

I'm very excited to progress with you guys! Lets make this happen, and get ourselves in gear!

Helpful Links:
The Schedule, and General Information!
Five Great Stretches
Choosing Running Shoes
Map My Run (I LOVE this site!)

If you have any links to suggest, feel free to post them! I'll add them to the list as they come in.

Last edited by ninepaw; 06-29-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2  
Diana Kay

Participants! (I will be adding as people join in!)

- ninepaw (Diana), Started Sunday, May 30th!
- Rochester, Started Tuesday, June 1st!
- ap90, Not yet started!
- PeachyKeen62, Started June 7th!
- KimL1214, Not yet started!
- EmusGlitter, Started the week of May 16th!
- RienQueNny, Started May 31st!
- GrnEyedMustang, Started training in March, 2010!
- sha25, started June 8th, 2010!
- knobhdy, Started the week of May 30th!
- Jules1216 (Julie), Started June 8th!
- I'm On A Boat (Dee), Started the week of May 16th!
- MyBodyIsMyTemple, started June 11th!
- SoonToBeHealthyHart, Started the week of June 6th!
- shortstuff17, Starting June 15th!

Last edited by ninepaw; 06-14-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #3  
Diana Kay

Alrighty then! I'll kick this off now.

My name is Diana, and I started C25K for the very first time on Sunday, May 30th, 2010! I'm very excited to see how well I manage to do in this program, as running is not something I've ever been terribly good at... Ever! I'm doing my runs outside around my neighboorhood, and I'm going to be doing W1D3 tomorrow!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #4  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for creating this thread, Diana!

I started C25k on Tuesday; I plan to do the program Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

I don't have a clue why I decided to do this. It's a huge leap for me athletically and I've never been a runner (mostly due to an unfortunate incident in junior high school involving phys ed class, a mile run, and a broken bra strap ). But I just looked over the info for C25k and thought to myself, "I can do this!"

I'm obese. I'm ridiculously out of shape. AND I'm running!

If I can do this, anyone can. For serious!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #5  
Diana Kay

Yay!!! You came over!

Yeah, I can't really say why I decided this was a great plan... But here I am! Workin' my way through, day by day... Hopefully we get more people in here soon!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 238/132/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm in! Although not just yet. Next week I'm finishing up a condensed math course and after that I'll be all set to make time to do C25K. So, what are your experiences with it like so far? I've gotta say, I'm not a runner at all and starting this program scares the living daylights out of me.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #7  
Diana Kay

Hi ap90! Welcome to the thread/program!

So far I've only gotten through two days, I'm planning for day three tomorrow to finish out my first week. I, too, would say that I'm not a runner, and I think it's safe to say there's a good chance you'll be surprised by just how much you can do! Don't forget to stretch before and after your runs... Check out the link in the first post, if you feel so inclined! But yeah! It really does seem to be well designed, so I'm ecited to hear how you do! (After your math course, naturally!)
Old 06-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #8  

Whoo sounds great! I'll start (again) on Monday, when my gym reopens from it's yearly maintenance. I would go outside, but so far Oregon has decided to rain for about 2 weeks straight.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #9  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

I LOVE this program and have managed to do it before, but had some nasty personal stuff happen, gained all the weight back and stopped running... soooooo, I wanna start again! I'm currently suffering form a 2nd degree sunburn, blisters and all, so as I need to wait for my skin to soak the blisters back up... I will aim to start either Sunday or Monday(if the blisters are still present on Sunday, they should be gone by Monday!)

Book me as C25K 1:1 on Sunday (and I will let you know if I have to push to Monday)!!!

Thank you for starting this thread as I know I will need some super support from everyone to push through! I love being a 3FC cheerleader also!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #10  
Diana Kay

Hello to you both, PeachyKeen and Kim! Super ecited to have you both! Just let me know when you guys officially start - I'll throw that onto the "participants" post!

As for me, I'm all dressed up to do W1D3 right now! Just thought I'd check in here before I start stretching to go out. I *think* my hip will be okay today. I hope. Every time I say something about that I feel so old! Well... My birthday IS on Sunday... (But I know that I am in no way shape or form *actually* old. Don't worry!) But yeah! I'm ecited and ready to get out there and kick some day three booty! Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/168/130

Can I join? I did C25K in '08 and lost 37 lbs from the first 5 weeks of it! (I was doubling everything and did it 4 or 5 times a week)

Anyway.. I stopped running.. and gained weight and I needed to start it all over. haha. So I'm on Week 3.

Do you like to run by distance or by time?

I find it MUCH easier, mentally, to run by distance. I head over to the high school track so that way I know exactly how far I've gone.. Plus.. it's WAYYYY easier on the knees for me.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #12  
Diana Kay

Of course you can join! All are welcome!

I, personally, run for time... For a couple of reasons! For one thing, I really hate running around a track... It's very monotonous for me. So tracking distance isn't really something I can do well while I'm running, short of buying a GPS device or something... Which I can't really do! The other reason is that the app that I have on my iPhone gives you alerts to walk/run based on time, and I really do enjoy my app. Makes it so I don't have to focus too much on when to do what(Except when I'm thinking, "Please god, let me walk soon! ) On a side note, let me know if I have your starting week screwed up in the second post! You said you were on week three so I went from that, but I could be absolutely crazy! So let me know, when you have a chance!

Last edited by ninepaw; 06-04-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #13  
Diana Kay

Anddd I'm back from W1D3! I am officially done with the first week!

I'm feeling pretty awesome, to tell you the truth! It was only closer to the end when I started feeling a little discomfort in my hips, but I got through the whole run and I feel great! I have plans for the net two days, so the net opportunity I'll have for running will be Monday, when it will be time for week two!!! Aaaah!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #14  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to all the new peeps and hoorays to Diana on Day 3! Wow, Emus, Week 3? You're my hero!

I can't wait to do Day 3 tomorrow. It's mind boggling how much I look forward to this.

I also run for time, not distance. Somehow it sounds easier to say I'm going to do 20 minutes than to say I'm going to do 2 miles, or whatever.

The back entrance to the county fairgrounds is across the road from my house, so that's where I've been running because it's close...and it's secluded. This weekend, though, there's a festival at the fairgrounds, so I think I'm going to try the reservoir instead. It will be an interesting experiment in running on grass instead of pavement.

This evening I was at Wal*Mart and I found a cute blouse on clearance. And then I found a copy of Runner's World Magazine that was the same price as the blouse. I put the blouse back because hopefully it won't fit SOON and buying a mag about running just made me feel so hip.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #15  
Diana Kay

You are SO hip with your running magazine, Rochester! That's awesome. Can't wait to hear how running on the grass goes for you tomorrow!
Closed Thread