Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default The Joy of M&Ms

ok, so I used to shovel peanut M&Ms into my face so fast I never really tasted them LOL

I have a ginormous bag of them under my desk to fill up my candy dish, and once a week I get an afternoon coffee and count out 10 m&ms and savour them

holy geeez they're so good! who knew?!?!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hehe, I usually share a snickers bar with the bf once a week
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #3  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

No. I can't do that. The bag would be gone in one sitting. I know this because I have eaten a whole bag in one sitting many times. Chocolate is my drug.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 255/220/155

Height: 5.5

It is so funny how great things taste when you actually take the time to taste them!
spaghetticat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #5  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Good for you! If I have a bag in front of me I'd be considered a goner. You have much more control than I do at this point. That's actually a nice little goal of a sort for yourself to have that kind of control.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

LOL THIS bag couldn't be gone in one sitting, it's from Costco and it's 1.3KG hahaha it's enormous!!! I thought I was addicted to chocolate too, but turns out I was just a spoiled brat who thought I deserved them! I don't, I deserve more than that yay!!! so 10 once a week is just fine by me

and you're right spaghetticat (awesome name by the way) it really IS funny how you notice more how things taste when you take a minute to relax and enjoy it - so much stuff is garbage, blech! and then there's the bliss of a peanut m&mmmmmmmm
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

The peanut M&M's are delish! For several months in the winter I would do the same thing. Once a week I would count out my one serving and just savor them.

Enjoy those little yummies!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #8  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

I remember back in the days of Richard Simmons, one of the sugar or whatever exchanges was 14 chocolate chips. Exaclty 14.

Dude, I would ration those throughout my day and they were yummy. Just a little bit of sweetness works wonders.

I may have to do the M&M thing now!
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Nope. Not me. I don't care HOW BIG the bag is, I'm sure I could down it in one sitting-- and what's more, it would be calling my name---
Yoo-hoo.... UBER.... green one here...

but good for you that you can savor-- that is truly an art!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #10  
Choose your hard...

S/C/G: 250/194/130

Height: 5' 2"

I wouldn't be able to have that self control either. I did notice that things do taste differently when you actually slow down to enjoy it instead of eating it really fast. I noticed some of the foods I thought I loved, when I eat them slowly and actually taste them I do not really like them. They taste bland.
Asherdoodles87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #11  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

I am another one that just can't handle the small amounts of sugar and could not stop at 10. More power to those who can, we are all different. However, I do identify with food tasting better. I never realized how good fruit tasted until I got off of processed sugar.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #12  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I think I might try this. I think I have the self control these days. I know I couldn't have done it in the beginning. I used to LOVE peanut M&Ms, but I haven't had any in over a year now. I think I will have my husband get one of the small bags and only give me 10 of them to test how it goes. I'll see how I feel after eating 10 of them very slowly and if it goes well then I can maybe get a larger bag in order to have my 10 once in a while.

I don't think the noticing the taste thing is only about slowing down, though I do think that's part of it. I think it is also about how we no longer bombard our tastebuds with all the junk. Having these clean, healthy tastebuds helps us to taste things more clearly I think. I have discovered that I LOVE raw sugar snap peas, and that they have a slight (very slight and mild) spiciness mixed in with their other flavors. It is so mild that I don't think my junk deadened tastebuds would have picked up on it a year ago. I am so glad that I can taste it now because it is wonderful.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/179/150

Height: 5'4

I've been noticing this with chocolate too.

I have to keep my chocolate in the freezer. It's a weakness, and if it's right in front of me, the whole bag would disappear. But if it's in the freezer, 1 - sometimes I forget it's there, and 2 - it doesn't taste as good frozen, so I have to plan to let it thaw a bit before I can eat it.

Right now I have Hershey Kisses in the freezer. And those 9 little pieces (exactly one serving), taste so much more amazing when I savour them, vs. when I would inhale a bag without realizing it.
athena 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #14  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Quote:
FitGirlyGirl originally posted I LOVE raw sugar snap peas
Thanks for the idea! I have not even thought to try those. They just went on my grocery list. This is one of the many reasons I love this site. I get so many good ideas.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I can handle some sugar or candy without it making me lose control. However, I don't think I have enough willpower to count out 10 M&Ms and then stop. It's not really a craving, it's that I like them and want to eat more because they taste good, and that's a very small amount (I don't eat Peanut M&Ms so 10 regular ones is very little). So I keep my treats contained by buying single serve packages and when it's gone, it's gone. I might not eat the entire 1 pound package any more (I used to be able to!), but I would still most likely end up eating more than just one serving so I plan for success by controlling the size of the bag I allow.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote