Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default On the go... with family. (people in/around Orlando, FL... you might be of help)

It's not portion sizes I'm worried about... but I found out recently that most restaurants don't carry nutritional info (this is after me asking about it at FIVE different places before I got one that had something... and even then... not much). And... my Dad doesn't like things to get stressful with things like that. He likes it cheap... and easy. Which usually includes things like: fried chicken, burgers, and more fried chicken.

Which... I'm trying to avoid.

I was able to get away to Quiznos and have one of their subs (still around a 600 calorie meal though... and this was without the dressing, bacon, and being the small size, and whole grain bread). I probably should have gotten one of the salads instead.

So... yeah. We'll be eating at airports... possibly bringing some of our own food... but eating out most of all.

So... thoughts of particular places in Orlando, FL that are ALL OVER (meaning CHAINS, not just individual restaurants) that carry healthy, low calorie meals? And something besides a sandwhich that we could keep in a cooler in the car while we're at Universal Studios?

I just don't even know where to begin looking online... usually when I try to google things like that... I get so bamboozled that I give up, or I can't ever find what I'm looking for.

So... yeah. Thoughts and ideas? I really don't want another day like Friday and Saturday (mainly with the whole running to the bathroom every five to ten minutes because my stomach didn't like the food I ate).
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Are you going to Orlando on a trip only to Universal? Where are you staying? Along I-drive? Elsewhere?

I'd google where you are staying and then search for "restaurant" or "grocery" to show you what is near.

Then go from that to hunt down ideas.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #3  

We're not going only to Universal. We'll be going to Universal two of the days (most likely). One of the days will be spent in St. Augustine. My brothers and I will be wandering around the town while my parents are in a marriage counseling thing (it was the only way they could get our mission organization to pay for the trip... ).

As for where exactly I am... unsure. I'll ask my mom. We'll be in St. Augustine and Universal mainly. Is there anything in Universal that wouldn't be detrimental to my low calorie plan?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Chipotle, Chipotle, Chipotle! I looked and they are in Orlando.

They are fairly inexpensive, lots of people like them and you can easily customize your meal. My normal salad there is about 350 calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #5  

Chipotle? Never heard of it. *is off to go google it*
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #6  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

At Universal the food is terrible. County on eating outside the park. There are som better choices at City Walk, but I can't remember particulars. Try google.

The Orlando area has: Moe's (southwestern), Chili's, Appleby's, Ruby Tuesday's (good salad bar), Sweet Tomatoes (all you can eat--good salads and soups), Golden Corral (another all you can eat, but it has lots of veggies), Basically any chain restuarant you can think of!!

St. Augustine has some great local seafood restuarants along with lots of chain restuarants. Good luck!! Read menus carefully and if you have internet access in the hotel, use it to check out menus.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #7  

Thanks!

ETA: Any ideas on fast food restaurants? I know that fast food doesn't quite = diet friendly... but I doubt my parents will want to go to a sit down expensive restaurant every meal. (and in our family, Ruby Tuesday IS considered an "expensive" fancy restaurant... )

Last edited by Serbrider; 06-01-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Subway? Firehouse? Pei Wei?

Stuff like that?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #9  
Just Me

Moe's is similar to Chipotle although I like Chipotle better. Neither are sit down restaurants. Sweet Tomatoes is sit down but it is like $8/person depending. I love Sweet Tomatoes and wish we had one in my area, I'd go every week.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

nelie, the Chipotles I've gone to are as "sit down" as Sweet Tomatoes--not sure what you mean by "sit down." Both have seating areas and you pick up your food by going through a line.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #11  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 353/see ticker/178

Height: 5'11''

For fast food, I always look for a Chick-fil-A Their nutritional info is on their website and it used to be posted in the stores. I was surprised at how low some of the items were. When I first went there I got a wrap and was shocked when I found out I could have had the nuggets, a sandwich or even the strips for less calories. They also have the option to change out fries for fruit and they have the best homemade diet lemonade I have ever had.
OrganizedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Hi! I live in St. Augustine. and if your going to be downtown there really isnt that much to eat. Well im a vegetarian so theres alot less for me to eat. But most of the little cafes/ restaurants downtown have chicken breast and things like that that you can eat. As for chains St. Augustine has chilis, applebees, longhorn, outback, tgifridays, subway, firehouse, and fast food. Also we have some bbq restaurents. Those are a good choice because there is always grilled chicken and a green veggie on the menu. We have bonos woodys and a few little hole in the wall places. Hope this helps. Oh also lots and lots of seafood (sorry i dont eat meat so these things never occur.) yes lots of seafood where you can get grilled fish
Emmieooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #13  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
nelie, the Chipotles I've gone to are as "sit down" as Sweet Tomatoes--not sure what you mean by "sit down." Both have seating areas and you pick up your food by going through a line.

Jay
Well I meant in general that Sweet Tomatoes is more a place where someone buses your table and Chipotle is more like a fast food place. At Sweet Tomatoes, we also leave a small tip but at Chipotle we wouldn't.

Chipotle is also a bit more grab and go than Sweet Tomatoes.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

nelie... now I want to go to Chipotle... salad with chicken...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #15  
Just Me

And you make me salivate for Sweet Tomatoes I wish we had them here.