Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default W.O.W. Independence from Fat Challenge~WEEK 1 *JOIN US*

This is Week 1 of our new challenge!!! Independence Day Challenge (now through July 4th). It is so Hard to stay true to a healthy diet during the summer months~BBQ's, Weddings, Camping, Vacations. . .You name it. Let's make this next Month full of the healthiest choices available.!!!!

For any newbies, the traditional copy and paste:

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During previous challenges, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.

Well here it is! Jump right in, tell us about yourselves, your goals, your home lives, your healthy plan, etc. We LOVE newbies! And we LOVE our regulars! Welcome back

Last edited by jcatron243; 05-31-2010 at 11:53 AM.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Hi I'm Jeni. I'm a wife and mother, plus I work full time outside of the home. My schedule is crazy but I try to make myself a priority at least 35 minutes a day.

W~I drink 64-100 oz of water per day. It depends on my workouts.

E~I'm a runner. My normal workout on my off days is 50 minutes of cardio~10minutes of weights~ 15 minutes Abs. On my on days I am trying to get back into 30 minutes of cardio after work and 15 minute abs. but I have a crazy schedule like I said so I am just starting to get back to it.

E I've gotten really lazy about my food lately and it has given me 5-8 extra pounds that were gone in Feb. So my goal for this challenge is to focus on foods and making the best choices.

D Normally my daily goal/affirmation is focused on housework, or making it through rough days at work. Through this next month I am going to focus on food choices.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Yesterday started out rough. We had to run back to the car dealership to sign more papers. They were able to get us better terms on our loan

Today will be great! I work so food wont be to much of an issue.

W 64 oz
E 15 minutes abs, walk around the plant~15 min ~try for a run after Tommy's swim lesson
E keep it clean
D~watch my food.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Hey all. I am Mavis, 43 (44 next week!) Mother of 2 college students, married, with 2 jobs and 2 dogs incl a brand new puppy! I was down to the high 140's last April and have fallen off the wagon since

W- I aim for 100 a day but like everything else, I've gotten lazy. One of my goals this challenge will be to refocus on all the little things.

E-I hate it, but it has to get done! I just joined the Y, aiming for 3 days a week there, with 6 days a week of exercise, hoping to run outside the other 3. Redoing C25K to up my speed. Also reviving the MMunches

E I can agree with Jeni - I've also been really lazy about my food lately so I need to plan and track my food

D I have depression issues, so my daily goal is usually just trying to get thru the day!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

W 100
E Crunching before my shower, stairs at work? gotten away from these little things that help, so perhaps...also walk at lunch and Y after work!!
E Need to see what's here
D One foot in front of the other. I can do this!
mothermavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #6  
Es ist ein neuer Tag!

S/C/G: Highest 280+

Height: 5' 7"

I'm Kris. 45 years old, mother of two, grandmother "Ma" of 2 (and one more coming in 2 weeks). I joined 3FC on February 25, 2010 ~ the same day I decided to take control of my life. To date I'm down 28 lbs (52 from my highest weight of a few years ago). I love these challenges (and the 5 lb challenges) as they break things down into smaller, more reasonable goals.

I am still not getting my exercise in like I should. I am active and moving and doing things, but not specifically exercising. I need to re-focus on that. I am also struggling with my food - I'm getting tired of planning and really struggling with not eating what's easy (while staying within my calorie limit ~ if not too low).

My goal for this challenge is to reach 216.5 (40 lbs. lost) by the 4th of July. I know that is an ambitious goal, but I'm gonna try. If I don't quite make it, I won't beat myself up because I know that the 4th is less than 5 weeks away.

Week 1: 228.4

W: At least 64 ounces of water
E: Minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week ~
E: Calories within 1600-1700 ~ do a better job of planning and getting in some variety
D: ????? I finally got a bunch of work done in my craft room, so I need to continue working on organizing, cleaning and purging things in my basement/craft room so that I can start enjoying the space.

I bought myself another new dress yesterday ~ it's still a little snug (especially in the arms), but not for long. It's a size XL in Misses. Gotta love Target clearance. I also bought a couple of other dresses that will hopefully fit by the fall (one's orange and one's brown).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2010-05-31_10_42_45.jpeg (3.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg 2010-05-31_10_42_31.jpeg (3.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by MamaP; 06-01-2010 at 08:43 AM.
MamaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/172/152

Height: 5'9"

Hello. I'm in! I had great success with the first challenge of the new year but have stayed pretty much status quo since then. Changing things up a bit this time - adding in a lot more fruits & veggies into my diet, including green smoothies. Some family members who visited over weekend inspired me to eat more raw foods. I've always loved fruits & veggies so I think this will be a great thing for me and give me a lot more energy. I'll still eat lean meats in moderation and replace the sugary sweets with mostly fruits.

That's the plan - along with doing my WEED! Jeanette

W: 64 oz.
E: 30 minutes elliptical
E: Around 1200 calories, mostly fruits & veggies
D: Finish my bedroom spring clean tonight after work
Momto6inOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #8  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

I love this idea!

W - Water intake.

80 ounces a day. All other liquids will be caffeine free teas, sparking water and the occasional soy milk, Sobe Life Water or Vitamin Water Zero.

E - Exercise.

30 minutes a day minimum. Period! I will do aqua aerobics 3 times a week minimum. I have a dance class coming up later this month that will be 1 hour and 50 minutes a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I *will* be consistent with this!

E - Eats.

Plant-based, lots of vegetables, lentils, beans, a healthy smoothie a day, high fiber, whole foods way of eating!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation.

I will focus on the positive and work with a daily goal of staying on plan and challenging myself as well as having a positive affirmation!

So, in the approximately 5 weeks from now until then, I will shoot for 10 pounds lost. I *know* that is realistic and sensible and if I lose more GREAT!!!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #9  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default the big return

Hey chicks!

I'm back in. My mental health hiatus is over. I am back to work hard with ya since July 4th is my birthday. Wanna peel off at least 10lbs by then! However, I am currently on vacation in Oregon and wont be home to weigh in until Friday.

About me: 38 - married 6 months (already?), Mom to 21YO DS, Step mom to 3 (DSD 10, DSS 8, AND DSS 5). Over weight, extra happy and ready to change.

Quit smoking again yesterday, on vacation even! Looking forward to buidling up some successes.

Mavie, Jen, Mindy.... missed all you girls. I'll check in later!
Nixmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #10  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello ya'll!!!!! It feels like a WOW reunion! So happy to be back with my girls. I don't know what I weigh right this moment, but my goal will be 260 (I think its about 275 or so)

I'm Michelle. 34 year old mom to Robert (10) Rachel (6) and wife to Mike (12 years going on 13) I am a nurse in Ohio (NE) currently looking to get back into nursing after a year and a half hiatus during which I went through treatment for a substance abuse problem I'd been struggling with. I am clean and sober almost 14 months and feeling really good....on the INSIDE. Now is my time to work on the OUTSIDE.

Recovery-speak, I know I have been substituting food for my drinking and drugs of choice. Then I do crazy things (men, shopping, gambling, eating, even exercising, facebooking, texting, etc etc etc) and I am very aware that I am feeding my disease all the time. I realize that I am constantly looking to fill a void I should be filling with LOVE, for myself and with my Higher Power. I get obsessive about everything I do....currently I am obsessing about buying a Yorkie and a new car (Oooooh the new Camaros!)

Anyhoooooo....

W- I am a water drinker, this is usually the easiest one for me! 64+ oz/day

E- I belong to a ladies gym, it is WALKING distance from me and I still don't go there! I love to golf, I'm on a softball team, I walk lovely nature trails in my area, and I recently bought a tennis racquet, which I've tried out once.

E- Ughhhhhh my eating is a mess. When I'm doing good, I try to count calories, low fat, high protein, high fiber, fruits, veggies, lean meats, chickens, etc. Not a big salad fan, but I do the best I can.

D- Mostly recovery affirmations, turning it over, let go and let God, one day at a time kind of speak.

So happy to be back. Will try to commit to posting at least twice a week. Oh and I told a friend I would start p90x. I have the DVD but I suck at working out at home.

~Michelle Y.
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #11  

Height: 5'3"

Hey ladies - I'm back!

My name is Emily, I'm 30, married with two little boys Connor (3 1/2) and Desmond (16 months). I work full time, I'm an admitted foodie, proud beer snob (we just started brewing our own) and am addicted to coffee. I love cooking (and eating of course), reading, movies, hiking, nature etc.

Did poorly last challenge, I don't feel like my diet or eating has really changed at all but somehow I'm up to 168 this morning, I must have food amnesia or something. Going to the CSA to pick up our share this afternoon, see what goodies are in store for us this week!

W - 64+
E - walking, weeding the veggie garden and abs
E - today: multigrain bagel w/ cc, sushi & miso soup, salad
D - unpack from this weekend, make a desperately needed grocery trip
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #12  
Portion Control

Height: 5'3"

Count me in again.

I am a 46 year old yo-yo dieter. I am married with two big boys and will soon be an empty nester as my youngest is moving to join his older brother working in California. We have a dog that is like our "surrogate child" now that the boys are grown. The dog is my exercise buddy when my husband is working.

This is a good group. Glad to see everybody back. I will be needing your support as my eating has been out of control.

Today's WEED -

W - 56 oz.
E - 30 minutes on the treadmill (got it in already)
E - light breakfast and lunch; going out to dinner for my mom's birthday
D - take steps to the bathroom at work
PopcornGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #13  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

I'm pretty new to all this so ill go ahead and give it a go..

W- I live in the desert, all I drink is water. I'm going to measure how much it really is that I'm drinking.

E- Pilates at home, muscle work for 30min.

E- Already Vegetarian, been so for six years. So I think eatting fresh, and not going over 1200 calories, I'll be fine.

D- Clean my room. It's a mess.
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #14  
Calorie Counter

Passion and Lindsey~~~

Everyone else back!! glad to see everyone. Heading out to swim lessons right now.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #15  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 333/310/260

Thanks for the WELCOME!!!

W: Met my goal of 80oz!
E: Went for a walk, it's the best I could do!
E: No appetite today for some reason...stayed under calories but on plan.
D: Took care of myself, went to the doctor and got a PT referral! Health is wealth!
Passionista is offline   Reply With Quote