Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default Bathing Suit Solutions Thread?

Hi gang:

I bought a new bathing suit yesterday since my kid wants to go swimming over Memorial weekend.

Normally I just go to Speedo.com and find a solid ultraback Speedo with conservative cut in a new color I haven't had in years past. They are excellent for lap swim and water aerobics so for a long time that was my bathing suit solution. I just live with the price tag of $60-$80 because they tend to last me at least 2-3 seasons since most of my swim time is late spring and summer only.

I didn't want to spend that much this year though, and was pleasantly surprised to find a 2 piece solution for $45 at Target.

The top is an XXL racerback black and white geometric from the Maternity area. The bottom is a skirted 20/22W from the Women's area. I'd tried it with a back panty bottom and boy shorts but liked the skirt best. Helps minimize my problem areas.

So here I am in my bathing suit solution:

This is 5'8" apple shape -- most of my bulk is in my stomach and rear -- all central.

255 lbs.

Size 20/22W bottom and XXL top.

$45 at Target.

Anyone else want to post their plus size bathing suit solution for this year? I thought it would be cool to see all the different ways people tackle the bathing suit thing.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-29-2010 at 10:42 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I love that suit! I'm going to Target today and I'm going to try and find a decent one. My problem is that I have an enormous chest and built-in cups look really funny on me (obviously, because they don't fit! ) I usually get my bathing suits from LL Bean or Lands End. One of them (I don't remember which) has a new(?) option for larger bust sizes... and they're cute too! But so ever loving expensive. Sigh. I guess it would make sense to invest in one or two but it's frustrating.

Thanks for the Target idea- I honestly wouldn't have thought to even look there.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I don't have any pictures of me in my bathing suit... YET! I was tired of bathing suits that don't fit, so I invested in a top - bottoms are no problem for me, I picked some up at Old Navy for $10. I spent $110 bucks on the top, and it was worth every penny. We spend 2 weeks on the beach each summer, and I was tired of feeling uncomfortable. This new suit has underwire for my girls, and finally I can cover my belly button - most bathing suits were too short - this one is long!

ETA : I got mine at SwimCo, they were VERY helpful!

Yours is REALLY cute! Lookin' good! I'm definitely going to check out Target next time I'm in the USA!

-Aimee

Last edited by SwimGirl; 05-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

I don't really swim, but my youngest wants to take swim lessons like big sissy, and the only option at our local pool for her age and height is Big Fish/Little Fish. I was mortified to even think about wearing a swim suit at this weight, but then I read an article about negative self talk and how it causes women to totally let their life and fulfilling opportunities pass them by - specifically not doing family pics because we're too fat, not playing with the kids because we're too fat/our thighs have cellulite/our tummy has stretch marks/etc etc etc. It hit home, and I ordered a swim suit.

I live in Rural nowhere Oregon , so no Target, no opportunity to go and try on. I ordered from Lands End, and just ordered some different sizes with free shipping that I could try on, and if I didn't like them, return them to Sears next time we went to the "big city"

I got their supplex swim shorts - I went with the Womens sizing because I am a true pear shape. I got a 16W and 18W. They both fit, the 16s are a bit tighter, but I could still wear them. They are super nice, and give me some more coverage, which makes me more confident. They really are very roomy, and I was worried about thigh issues - I have big thighs! But thankfully I don't have any.

I also got last year's Aqua Terra tankini with cross back straps - I love it! It's very thick, and that makes me feel better too. And it was only $18 in their clearance It's orange on the sides, with a geometric pattern on the middle front and back. I did order also a halter top swim top, I am still on the fence about that one - it's kind of thin. DH says it looks great, but it does show a lot of cleavage so I think that might be his motivation LOL. I figure I'll wear it in our pop up pool if nothing else. The tops I ordered were size 16 and 18, and they work great.

Your pics make me want to drive to Target and check out their selection of tankini tops! I plan to take water aerobics this summer, and would love one more top, and another pair of bottoms if I could find something.
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Oh, cool... I tend to forget about LL Bean and Land's End and I don't think I've ever heard of SwimCo!

I found some more online places not mentioned yet...

http://www.jms.com

http://www.womanwithin.com

http://www.junonia.com

Target online has some more choices I did not see at my store too.

http://www.target.com

HTH!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-29-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

You look really nice in that suit. I bought one at Kohl's last year...a two piece but it had a regular bottom that shows my thighs (not a pretty look for me!). The problem I have is swimming in some of these tankini types, especially the ones with the skirt like you have. They tend to pop up when I swim and it really bothers me. Let us know how you do when you go in the pool with it. It really does look nice though.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I used to have a swim dress that would pop up and make me crazy. Looked cute enough on dry land, but I'm a lap swim person, not a sunbathe person.

I'm hoping that going with two piece helps minimize the poofing up, but I'll def report back!

A.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Just My Size has some decently priced suits.

I also really like Landsend, but unlike their clothing, I am finding their bathing suits run a little small. I had ordered mix and match separates that turned out to be way too small (Misses 18DD top and 14 bottom). But it was from their overstocks section and only $17 total for both pieces so I am keeping them since they will fit at some point. So then I ordered another mix and match set (20W but they don't have DD and 16 Misses skirtini) and that's too small too! Not by that much now, though, I tried it on again this morning and I think pretty soon.

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 05-29-2010 at 11:36 AM.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

astrophe -

You look really cute, great find!!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Astrophe, that looks GREAT!

I don't really have any photos of me in a bathing suit...except where my husband has taken naughty shots of my boobs. You *probably* don't want to see those, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to share. LOL

I have a $45 suit I bought last season. It's a black halter neck top with red ruffles on the tie. The bottom is a panty bottom. I actually feel pretty good in it! I also have a $15 Kristina jobbie from Zellers. It's bright red. The top is a tank, with scalloping around the bottom and the bottoms are also panty. Both size 14.

I'll scout around to see what kind of G rated photos I can find, but I'm not sure how to post them.

Okay, here's one of some of the top: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=668695309

And my backside: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=668695309

I may have better ones at home.

Here's full front, mixing & matching the suits: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=668695309

Last edited by ChrissyBean; 05-31-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added links to photos
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #11  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

Cute suits apostrophe and peanut's mom!

I too am a Land's End fan. They have sizes that fit my bust. I found a really cute and flattering suit there last year but I was 45 pounds larger last summer than I am right now so it doesn't fit. I loved the suit but I'll take being smaller any day.

So, I ordered an adjustible tunic top and ruffle mini swim mini from lands end. It should be arriving any day now. I've been leery of the swim mini's due to a worry of them floating up when I swim. The one I ordered is more like a boyshort and is not loose so hopefully I will have no trouble.

Last edited by lovemyboy; 05-29-2010 at 05:37 PM.
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I love the suits! You guys look great! Very cute for pool lounging!

My size problem is that I am between sizes and moving down. 14's are just on the big side so I don't want to buy them, but 12's are small. So I just went to Land's End and found a size 12 that is pretty tight, but it won't be long before it's comfortable. I rather like it. It's brown with tummy control and all kinds of bunching sewn into the tummy area. It has a modest bodice that's cute the way it's sewn. And hey...it's a 12!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

astrophe - turns out swimco is a western Canada thing, which would explain why you haven't heard of it.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I was in a suit I loved that was a tankini but it was an 18W and when I swam in it this spring it was floating off me in the hot tub. It was huge on me. I bought a 16 at Kohls. It's a one piece in a blue floral print, VERY cute. It does show my thighs which are very big, but they will be a lot smaller by the end of summer and once I am in the pool no one can see them anyway, so I don' care. I love the print!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote