Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Default Doctor from ****

Let me first say - oh yes, I'm going to find another doctor. No question. But I just had to share this, because I'm so angry and upset.

I have acid reflux and I see a gastroenterologist. He was fabulous but he just left for another state. This morning I went to see his replacement, just to sort of introduce myself and ask questions about my medication.

He spent an ENTIRE HOUR lecturing me about my weight. Keep in mind that I'm at 250 - down 15 pounds from last time, and my top weight was 289. My blood pressure is 120/80 and my cholesterol is fine. I work out 3-4 days a week and my "I'm 40!" stress test was great.

He told me I should look into bariatric surgery. He told me that I was a "ticking time bomb." And that while it was great that I was losing weight, that I had a long way to go, blah blah. He spent about 3 minutes examining me.

He told me I should be working out an hour every single day, and
that he himself (who has never had a weight problem - I asked) runs or
swims eight times a week.

I left there and just sat in the garage and cried and cried.
Seriously, if you see that the person is losing weight and they tell
you hey are working on it LEAVE THEM ALONE.

I don't know what I could have said.

toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/300/150

Height: 5'8

I'm basically a lurker on here, but this made me so MAD I just had to say something.

I would have walked out, probably after screaming a few @#%@$ at the egotistical jerk. (Forgive my spelling!) Seriously! There is not a single reason for you to sit there and take being talked to like that!! Politely point out that you ARE losing weight and working on it, and if he continues to spout at the mouth-- LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you had to go through that. People like that drive me INSANE....and the anger I feel towards some of them in my life is sometimes the only thing that keeps me on track. The 'chip on my shoulder' becomes useful.

Go and find yourself a new doctor, and don't spare that *sshat another thought!
bumponalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

wow seriously?? that is awful .. I'm so sorry for you .. i would of told him your not my family doctor I'm not here to be lectured by you about my weight .. if he is associated w/ a particular hospital i would write them a complaint letter about how he treated you I'm sure your not the first to be treated like that by him and you wont be the last .. and I can't believe that he would suggest gastric bypass surgery when your doing just fine on your own and are healthy .. that is meant for people who have serious health issues basically .. how awful I'm glad you know to look for a new doctor at least .. don't let him get to you .. your doing a fine job dont let him stop that
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Keep on truckin'. You're doing great. Sounds like this doctor doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
I had a doctor like this. I refused to go back. This guy was/is an endocrinologist. Very abrupt. Called me a liar when I told him I was watching portions and walking (which I was) and I wasn't losing weight. It was just in his estimation that I wasn't losing weight btw, because he never once weighed me. He would estimate weight based on looking at you fully clothed as you walked in the door. He put me on metformin (I know now based on my own research that it was for PCOS that I was diagnosed with at 20) without telling me what it was for, only saying "it will help you lose weight". I was so upset I called and told his secretary that I wouldn't be back, she asked why, and I told her. She came back with "well he calls 'em like he sees 'em". I find out later she's his wife.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey, time for a new doctor! Yay!!!!! What a loser that guy is. Good riddance.

Besides, as you lose more weight, I think you'll find that you will no longer have acid reflux and won't need a gastroenterologist anymore.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

What you do is stop in the middle of the appointment, tell him flat out you will not be verbally abused for the sake of a diagnosis, and that you are well aware of your weight and working on it. You get up, tell him he is wasting your time and you won't stand for his treatment of you. If you leave within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the appointment you can legitimately refuse to pay as you walk out.

You file a complaint with the AMA and go on your merry way. Seriously, there is your weight, sure, and there is some suggestions for management. He crossed that line big time, and as long as you just pay him and let it stand that treatment will continue for others as well. You need to be firm, direct, and file suitable complaints, or he'll never learn.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5.5"

I'm so sorry. This guy is a total jerk. Most doctors would be very positive about a patient that had changed their lifestyle and already lost 40lb!
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Awful - I'll repeat what I've said often. Doctors don't often really listen. I think they have a speal that they just blurt out when they see someone overweight. He's probablly said this 100's of times - like a tape playing in his head.

I am sorry this happened.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #9  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Doctors are generally an intelligent, well-educated bunch, aren't they? Okay, that being the case they should know that they aren't treating/diagnosing just a condition or disease but a PERSON.

Enough said.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #10  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
What you do is stop in the middle of the appointment, tell him flat out you will not be verbally abused for the sake of a diagnosis, and that you are well aware of your weight and working on it. You get up, tell him he is wasting your time and you won't stand for his treatment of you. If you leave within the first ten to fifteen minutes of the appointment you can legitimately refuse to pay as you walk out.

You file a complaint with the AMA and go on your merry way. Seriously, there is your weight, sure, and there is some suggestions for management. He crossed that line big time, and as long as you just pay him and let it stand that treatment will continue for others as well. You need to be firm, direct, and file suitable complaints, or he'll never learn.
Bravo.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #11  

Your doing great , don't let him get to you, Use his stupidness as motivation . You know you have a weight problem so he didn't tell you anything you didn't know, But you know and I hope you are proud of yourself cause you have already start working on you and you have to be ready for jerks like him all the time don't cry ,stay strong and focus , Great Job
jumphigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

What a douche bag! Brush him off and move on, girlfriend. You don't deserve his kind of treatment.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Get another doctor.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #14  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I heard from several different doctors and a nurse practitioner that the only way I'd ever lose weight would be through surgery. While I'm sure surgery is an excellent tool, it was always a little frustrating to hear so I certainly sympathize!

Only one doctor ever told me something similar to the ticking time bomb remark and it was in response to my high blood pressure. I have to say that it really did frighten me and helped me stay motivated during my weight loss.

Don't let it get you down!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #15  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default Unless he owns his own practice....

I would find out who his supervisor is and write a complaint letter. He is likely affiliated with a hospital or a physician's group. Do Not just call, write a detailed letter. In this letter state your complaint and also indicate that you are forwarding the complaint to the Licensing agency for your state and to the Better Business Bureau. I would also write a letter to the Dr. himself with a copy of all of the complaint letters you wrote. Lastly, I would tell all of your friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, acquaintances at church, the bank, where you get your hair done, the grocery store, etc... that the Dr. is an a**. Tell the Dr. in the letter that you have told everyone you know what a terrible experience you had. (Make sure you state only the truth, what your experience was. Do not say anything untrue or defamatory) Even if he is the sole practitioner and owns his practice, I'd do the exact same thing except complaining to his supervisor.

You are a consumer of the product/service he is selling, which is himself, his knowledge and his skill set. If word gets around that Dr. So and So is an a**, no one will want to buy his product. He will hopefully go out of business.

Remind this Prick that he swore an oath, that in part reads:

I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.....If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practice my art, respected by all men and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my lot..

Beating someone up verbally IS harmful!

Berating you about your health, especially when you are actively working on improving it and charging you or your insurance company a boat load to do so is unconscionable.

You didn't deserve to be treated that way. I am sorry it happened to you. Hopefully you will let him know how much it hurt you.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 05-28-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote