Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

Default healthy foods that melt in your mouth

I mentioned in another post that I am a supertaster - in my case, food texture also plays a huge role in what I like and dislike. There are many foods that I do actually like the taste of but cannot eat because I can't handle the texture.

The flip side of that is that I was thinking about this and realized that one of my favorite food sensations is food that will melt in my mouth. So yes, chocolate is one. Ice cream is another although I actually prefer soft serve ice cream or frozen yogurt to richer and more densely textured ice cream.

Puffy cheese doodles are another kind of melting food for me, along with pretzels. I know many people like those for the crunchiness, but I like to take a bite and let it dissolve in my mouth. Not surprisingly, I adore Sweettarts and similar candy..

Most of the time, when I'm tempted off plan, it's with one of these foods to satisfy my texture desires, along with the taste. But so far, I haven't thought of really healthy foods that melt which I could more easily fit into my eating plan.

Any suggestions? (btw, I hate dark chocolate so that isn't one I can justify as something I could enjoy in small portions because there is a health benefit too)
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ok I'm going to ask but what dark chocolate have you tried? I used to be a milk chocolate person but then I started eating dark chocolate and it is my favorite now. Ritter sport is pretty good.

Melt in your mouth and healthy... well a lot of things are processed. Are you really looking for something 'healthy' or just low calorie? Like I was at Trader Joe's yesterday considering the Rainbow Chocolate sorbet which is 120 calories/serving but its all sugar.

There are things like frozen fruit (grapes, berries, etc) that kind of have a melty texture as they warm up. You could also try making your own berry sorbet or fruit sorbet so that you mix up fruit and freeze it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

There's plenty of dark chocolate out there that I don't like, BUT I have found that I adore Lindt chocolate. It's expensive, but it's delicious and extremely melt-in-your-mouth.

I'm not really coming up with anything else. I'm not really a texture person that much myself, though. Stuff with some fat in it should be "melty," I'd think. Creamy soups...hot chocolate made with whole milk...etc.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #4  
Starting stronger.

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I hear you, I'm a melty person, too!

Honestly, sometimes I find that a few cubes of ice melted in my mouth give me a melty fix. But that's probably not what you had in mind.

Other things I can think of are ripe blackberries (I smoosh them a bit with my tongue and they deflate in my mouth. Yummy!) and Oranges, which have been a major player in my diet lately.

If I don't mind the extra sodium, I love to let pickles dissove in my mouth. A really crisp, juicy pickle dissoves wonderfully!

Okay...my mouth is watering now. Think I'll go get some ice.
Cita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #5  
Starting stronger.

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I was just thinking...if youhave a blender you could crush up some ice and berries and make a healthy snowcone. That sounds really good, actually!
Cita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Um, what about rice cakes?
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Cita - glad I'm not the only one! I was wondering if people would think I was nuts!! lol!

I think things like sorbets or a healthy snowcone are a good idea. I try to limit fruit but it's certainly something that I could fit it and berries are definitely healthy/nutritious.

I think I was hoping someone would have some secret brand of healthy and low cal Cheez Doodles that I never heard of! lol! (I do like Pirate Booty but that's still too high calorie and sodium for me to have as anything but a very rare treat)

Re: chocolate, I've tried various brands of dark chocolate and never came close to liking any of them. Part of it is that I don't enjoy the intense flavor - even with milk chocolate, I don't like the richer and expensive brands that most people rave about, I like good old Hersheys and M&Ms. lol!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

Hmm I know what you mean about that "melty/dissolvey" feeling. For me, popcorn REALLY does the trick! I buy a brand I've only found at walmart and their light butter version of popcorn has between 200-220 calories for the entire big bag! There are others around that have slightly more. I know they also sell 100 calorie packs of popcorn but it's never a large enough serving for me (). I know others love them, though. So yeah, it's not an extremely health conscientious choice, but it's good calorie-wise, if you squeeze it in sometimes.
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Healthy foods that I feel melt in my mouth? Hmmmm....

Sliced avocado

Berries (frozen berries, especially)

Watermelon

Peanut butter

Bakery-fresh whole wheat bread

Reduced-calorie mozzarella balls

Baked yams/sweet potatoes, cooked just like a baked potato, inside the skin, though you can also empty the cooked yam into a bowl and bake that with some spices (and a bit of molasses or something if you're looking for a little sugar) to give it a crisp exterior and warm, melt-in-your-mouth interior)

Ice cream made only with bananas (Stick it in the microwave for a second if you want it creamier. I'm not a big fan of bananas, and I really like them like this.)

A hard-boiled egg, or a deviled egg that you make with mustard or some low-calorie condiment

Greek yogurt with frozen berries that have been microwaved mixed in

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 05-28-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

Banana Ice Cream! You only need bananas and blender. http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/s...redient-093414

Coming from another supertaster I totally understand dissolving texture.
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I love melty things (yay, I'm not alone) and good goddess do I miss cheesy poofs. I have not found any healthy version and trust me, I've looked. The closest I've come is that fibergourmet.com has a healthy version of cheez-its. I haven't tried them yet (though I LOVE their pasta), but I am going to add some to my next order I think. I like to melt the no sugar fudgcicles in my mouth. I also go through a lot of skinny cow. Popcorn is another good one - I get the old fashioned kernels and put them in a paper lunch bag to create microwave air popped popcorn with no added calories from butter and no salt. I also freeze fat free yogurt in ice cube trays and melt that in my mouth. Special K crackers are good melters. Hubby suggests cheerios. All-Bran, bran buds are a bit melty and fun to roll around on the tongue. I like to freeze cool whip free and get a spoon of it and melt that - mmmm.

I need a snack now.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #12  
getting less fluffy

S/C/G: 255/ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

ok...I hate dark chocholate too. I have tried every brand I have found cause its hubby's favorite so I have always tried it..but I still hate it

I will indulge in puff corn. I like the cheese and the butter. Not super low calories, but better than cheese puffs and chips.

I also make my own air popcorn. I spray mine with 5 sprays of ff parkay and sprinkle ff white cheddar popcorn powder on it. I love it.

I am a salty, chrunchy craver. I usually never crave sweets.
Terre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Vitatops
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitGirlyGirl View Post
Special K crackers are good melters.
Oh my, those things are good! I can't bring them into my house. I ate the whole box in one sitting.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...cts.d2w/report
tryhardforlife is offline   Reply With Quote