Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default A Sign from the Sweet Tooth deity

I have an awful sweet tooth. A highly developed awful sweet-tooth. That's how I gained all my weight, plus some back this last time. By over indulging in the ice creams, candies, etc that are oh so not good for you.

So last night I was under my calories by a fair amount and DH had to run to work and asked if I'd drive (his allergies are kicking his butt). His work is just down the road from DQ. Okey, dookey. Now, I feel like I am slowly mastering my sweet tooth. I had, initally, sweets frequently, like daily, sometimes multiple times a day often with ice cream, candy bars, cheesecakes, cake, or trips to DQ or somewhere for a "treat."

Well, the last few days I've been doing very well, compared to before. I'm cutting sugars way, way down. I know, logically, that until I have the sweet-tooth pulled (metaphorically I mean) that the weight loss is going to be an uphill battle. I have not had sweets in the house. I have not brought home candies, ice creams, cakes, etc. I skip those isles at the grocers.

I have, however, run to DQ a couple times in the last few weeks...and its been disappointing (they were poorly made, as they generally are at this DQ).

I finally reached an ephinay last night that there was and is nothing awe inspiring about the Blizzard, or any other sweet. It isnt a sacred holy artifact to be worshipped. Almost everytime I get one I'm disappointed with the outcome (both cause they're poorly made and because they don't keep the happy feeling going once they're gone). The power, the draw, the addiction (yes, I seriously think addiction is the correct term) these kinds of goodies have over me isn't real, its power I give them.

So, I've reached the point of cold turkey. I'm giving up sweets cold turkey. I may have birthday cake or a desert on holidays; I'm not saying I will never again have any at all, but I don't have to make it a daily, weekly or even monthly allowence!! There will be no more drives to get ice cream or any other goodie and they will continue to absent within this house!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Good girl!

I have thought long and hard about my journey(s) thus far while I was gaining back the 40+ pounds the past few months. I too am 100% convinced I am addicted to sweets. I could LIVE on candy and cake and ice cream... of course not in a very healthy way, but once I put one single nibble of it in my mouth, that is it... I eat all the sweets I can get my hands on at that time. It also sends me "jonesing" for days afterward for more.

I can't give it up completely, but like last night, when I had that ice cream thing (what ever the heck the little ice cream shop calls blizzards) that once it was gone, that was the end of that "binge". I planned it ahead of time, and really gave myself a talking to before I even got in the jeep to head there, and I haven't had a problem sticking to it today.

Now I do allow myself what I like to call "fake sweets".. some diet soda, sweet tea made with sweet n low, yogurt, sugar free jello... but I do also try to limit them and drink way more water than other things.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

*two thumbs way, way up!*

You might find it difficult at first--even get headaches, feel tired, other symptoms like that. But if you stick with it, in a few days you will begin to feel AMAZING, and so FREE of your obsession with sugar. When you get cravings or feel physically crappy, try having some dairy or some beans to get you past the feeling.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

That's great Tara! When I stopped eating sweets my cravings for them pretty much went away and hopefully yours will as well. It really made sticking to my eating plan much easier. I found fruit to be the perfect treat because it was sweet enough to satisfy me, but not trigger me.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Good for you!

Back in 2006, I recognized that I was addicted to sugar. I went on Southbeach and quit eating anything with added sugars and anything that had been bleached of all it's delicious whole grain goodness. I strictly monitored my intake of fresh fruits and of whole grains in general. I'm one of those who is sensitive to the fruit and grains and my weight loss stalls if I eat more than 1-2 servings of each every day. Well, I lost 35 pounds and kept it off for 3 years. I probably could have lost even more weight, but I wasn't very careful with my calorie intake.

Last summer, I started eating sweets again and forgot all about the healthy habits I had learned. I gained back the 35 pounds and am now at the highest weight I've ever been. Since Tuesday, I've been sugar free. For now, I'm also eating no grains or starches. I've had a horrible headache since Tuesday and have felt sluggish and horrible...kinda like the flu. I even missed work today because of the headache. But, I remember this. I remember how horrible I felt the last time I detoxed from the sugar. I also remember how absolutely wonderful I felt after I had detoxed and no longer had all of the sugar swishing through my body. The depression, fatigue and muddled thinking were gone. I was so optimistic and happy! I was energetic and my smarts were back! LOL Girlfriend, you are going to feel so good and be so happy that you did this!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 05-27-2010 at 06:43 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

That is great, Tara!!

(But now I want a Blizzard >.<)
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

That is great, and so true. You're right, the happy feeling doesn't last, and it's usually disappointing overall anyway!
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6

Grats on the decision! Like @GirlyGirlSebas I started a lower carb transition on Tuesday! I feel icky right now, but I must say the cravings for sugar are already on their way out.

Good luck! I'm sure you will do wonderfully! =D
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Congratulations on your decision, I hope it works for you!

I personally just ate an ice-cream bar I factored into my calories, but I am okay with stopping at one and not having it every night, so it isn't a weakness of mine. Not everyone is like that. You just listen to your body and know yourself, then enact a positive change. There's nothing to it, once you've committed yourself to that course of action
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats! I think for many of us, quitting sugar is the single most important thing we can do. Getting rid of sugar does lots of things for health -- but ALSO reduces hunger, which people don't talk about too much. I used to be hungry all the time. Was it real hunger, who knows? But it felt like hunger and limiting calories was like a *white-knuckle* experience for me and I only succeeded (when I did) through sheer will-power (which didn't last forever, sigh).

I don't think (most) people can sustain doing something with sheer willpower. It is a muscle meant to be used occasionally, it gets exhausted otherwise. By cutting sugar and carbs I now do not have that horrible beastly hunger, and it is wonderful to be free of it.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #11  
fra

S/C/G: 231/xx/150 [105/xx/68 kg]

Height: 6' [183 cm]

great job! I had to cut some things out too, after some short period of de-tox I found out that some sweet stuff I can eat in limited, healthy amounts. There are a couple of things that I just can't eat normally. I have to gorge on them. So I just avoid them and don't keep em in the house. Well, know your enemy right I can still enjoy all the other things!
fra is offline   Reply With Quote