Old 05-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Facial hair as it relates to weight question?

So I have a facial hair question. I've noticed that since my weight has crept up and up and up I'm having more lil dark chin hairs than ever before. I don't have a beard but I went from one tiny hair to like 8. I know extra weight can mess up your hormones and a fair number of obese women suffer from PCOS which can have a side effect of facial hair... but my question isn't really why.

Here it is, especially to those who've already shed some weight who may have had the same situation... did your facial hair stop or go away? Is there an extra light at the end of the weight loss tunnel in regards to facial hair?
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but no, mine didn't. Of course, I have PCOS and that didn't go away with weight loss, so if you DON'T have PCOS and you are experiencing hormonal balance solely due to weight, it might work for you!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Your hair growth is more than likely the result of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance can improve with weight loss and definitely will improve with dietary changes (eg eliminating sugar and white refined junk). The speed of your hair growth will probably slow down, but it may never stop completely.

If you don't change your diet and/or lose weight to combat your insulin resistance, then more than likely your hair problem will get worse--more of them, faster growth.

Additionally, you may also start to see the hair on top of your head begin to thin.

And then there's the acne...

WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I do not know if it was causal or coincidental, but my facial hair issues have definitely improved since I have lost weight. I had a few hairs on my chin I had to pluck and they are gone. My upper lip is still an issue, but not as much of one. I do have PCOS and am diabetic - I have had my numbers under control since about October. I'm not entirely certain when the last time I had to pluck a hair from my chin was, but I realized in November that it had been a while.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

My facial hair has not improved with weight loss, but it has never been bad to begin with - just a few hairs here and there. I still have to pluck them, but they are minor. Other things have caused my hormones to dance around, though, unrelated to weight, so that could be the common link.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

I have those stupid little dark hairs in isolated areas on my chin. I hate them I also have upper lip hair that I use Veet on every few weeks, hate that too :/
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #7  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

ahh i have the facial hair thing.. and its awful.. but i shelled out the money for the laser hair removal.. and IT worked.. i have only done it 4 times.. but i barely have hair come in anymore! if it doesnt go away .. there are always other ways to treat it!
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #8  

Height: 5'6

I think everyone has already said most of everything. I have PCOS/Diabetes/YouNameIt and I suffer from hair everywhere at this weight. When I lose weight I notice it on the decline. As is everything YMMV. There are too many factors to be sure. Just hold out hope that for some it goes away and or at least lessens. If not there are ways to deal with it and being healthy and dealing with it is far better than the alternative!
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #9  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

At my last physical my Doctor told me it had to do with my weight, possible insulin resistance and my age (42) . As women get older we get hair where we don't want it and the hair we do want can get thinner (eyebrows, head, eyelashes).
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #10  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Great question! I was just wondering the same last week.
All my adult life, I've had the occasional hair or two on my chin, now I suppose I have about 10-15, with varying rates of regrowth after plucking.
I'll be interested to see if they diminish again once I've lost weight. And relieved!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote