Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #1  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Default Atkins taking cheapshots in Huff Post

Article

I'd love to see a point by point correction from one you in the comments there.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2  
Carbs are evil

Height: 5'6"

"Ask yourself, have you even met anyone on Atkins' who kept the weight off for five years? I'll bet not."

I'll bet they're wrong! .... hands up who here has kept the weight off???
imstuffed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Apart from the stupid end it's not a bad article. The general tone is that very few people will have the will power to stay on the plan for life. We all know if you come off it the weight goes back on. Funnily enough like every other "diet"

The final section should have been worded along the lines of how many people do you know who have stuck to atkins for 5 years. Apart from the prominent poster in here my answer is none.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

Atkins is the only way I have ever lost weight, and no I didn't keep it off, cause I started eating those healthy grains and starchy vegetables again!! When I did that , then the cravings came back and boom, here comes the ice cream and cookies!!! I don't think it is good for everyone... My husband is naturally thin and can eat nothing but carbs and he never gains a pound.. I on the other hand can dream about carbs and gain!!! It is about what works for the the type of body you have.. I have a body that stores!!! My hubby has a body that burns!!!

I don't think the new diet is bad, most people don't eat 2 cups of veggies, and 6 cup of salad in their diet and that is what my book recommends for induction!! The weight loss and the feeling of not being hungry speaks for itself!!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

It's ignorance like that of the author of that article, that really burns my butt when it comes to Atkins!! So naturally, I had to give them my 2 cents Unfortunately, they limit the amount of letters you can use and they must approve your post before they actually post it
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstuffed View Post
I'll bet they're wrong! .... hands up who here has kept the weight off???
Over 100 lbs for 6+ years.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #7  
Carbs are evil

I was hoping you'd chip in jerseygirl! I might only be a newbie but i know well that no weightloss will stick if you go back to old habits - atkins included yes, but also every other manner of weightloss too. You're a testimant to what we all can achieve
Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #8  
Carbs are evil

you got it posted jerseygirl well said!!
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #9  
Who Burst MyBubble? Oh Me

S/C/G: 318/305/?

Height: 5 Foot 2, Eyes of Blue

So arrogant, erroneous, and uneducated right from the beginning!

"You can top off a steak with an ice cream sundae", did she even read the book?
Godiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #10  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
So arrogant, erroneous, and uneducated right from the beginning!

"You can top off a steak with an ice cream sundae", did she even read the book?
From Yager's blog: "The appeal was obvious: A cardiologist says it's okay to eat a juicy, well-marbled steak, followed by an ice cream sundae topped off with nuts and whipped cream for dessert every night of the week - and still lose weight!"

She (Yager) is referring to DADR (Atkins 1972, Dr. Atkins first book) but she purposely left out that the ice cream sundae and whipped cream are low carb with recipes to make homemade LC ice cream and whipped cream contained in that book. Nuts as well as the cream in the ice cream and whipped cream are allowed foods after Induction on all versions of Atkins.

It is very obvious that her blog is an attempt to promote her own book on weight loss. Twisting information and omitting facts is NOT the way to do it as there are a LOT of people out there who HAVE read all the Atkins books. She is not the first nor will she be the last to do this.

Last edited by mizski; 05-28-2010 at 02:43 AM.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #11  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I just remembered to check back on this, and I am quite pleased with the comments to that article.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Have I ever mentioned that I am a lifetime member of weight watchers??? Regardless of the plan, if you don't stick to it, you gain it all back.
fatBgone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatBgone07 View Post
Have I ever mentioned that I am a lifetime member of weight watchers??? Regardless of the plan, if you don't stick to it, you gain it all back.
thus the difficulty. Lifelong lifestyle changes are necessary. we need to eat right, only go off plan on occasion, have an active lifestyle. This is true for all of us, no matter how we lose the weight. you are sooooo
right
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote