Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #1  

Default Anyone avoid the scale?

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is anyone else who is avoiding the scale?
I started the year so well, but the scale fluctuations drove me crazy and just depressed me. For example I had lost 6 lbs. in 2 weeks. Awesome, right? Next week of course PMS week, it went up 2 lbs. I know it was water weight and not a big deal, but it just upset me so badly. I got depressed and gave up. I do have clinical depression, so not that big of a shock. So I have decided that the scale is not my friend and I refuse to get on. My high weight is recorded on the Wii so I know what it is. I do want to take some pictures. I lost 100lbs. 5-6 years ago, but had trouble seeing it in myself. So I do want to have visible proof for myself. So as much as it is killing me, I won't get on it. My bathroom scale doesn't have a battery in it so I am not tempted. I would have to get on the Wii, to weigh myself. I am just skipping the body test if I decide to use it. With warm weather I can get outside and exercise and just skip the Wii Fit. Anyone else in the same boat?
aubrylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I only weigh about once a month. I'm going more by the tape measure for now.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I dealt with it by doing the opposite and weighing every day. Sure, I get mad/annoyed/depressed when the scale goes up (like it did today!) but it has really helped me put the increases into perspective. I see how much my weight can vary from day to day even when I'm 100% on plan and I can also see the results of bad choices (because even when I don't always understand why my weight can go up when I'm 100% on plan, I do see a much stronger cause and effect going on for when I'm making bad choices!)

I'm not suggesting that you should do this, just agreeing that we all have to figure out a way to handle the stress that comes along with the scale. For some people, that means avoiding it and for others, it can be the opposite. Glad you thought about it and figured out what works for you!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I weigh every 2 weeks or so.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/200.3/185

Height: 6'2"

I weigh myself about every 30-45 days.
meplusthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  
300+ Chick

I decided on not weighing daily...I agree, way to depressing and am doing a monthly basis now.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi... I am not in that boat right now, but I have lived in that boat for the last eight years, and then many other times in my past. I would avoid the scale because I knew what made me gain and I knew that is what I had been eating!!! So last week I went to BB&B and bought a new WW scale, and come to find out, not only had I gained back all the weight I lost, but put on an additional 20, that my former scale was lying to me about, the small amount of times I weighed my self... So, I started over, and you can too!! Put a battery in your scale, or go get a new one and start fresh, new scale and all!!! Right now I love my scale, but I know we will have a love hate relationship for the rest of my life, but I am gonna weigh everyday!!!!! Cause if I don't I'll let it creep!!! Pretty soon you are right back where you started!! DON"T DO IT!!! You can do it!!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 374/ticker/size 12

Height: 5'8"

I weigh just once a week. . . and tell myself even if the scale just moves .2 pounds in the right direction to be happy!

I used to daily but then found out that it was dictating my day and I don't want to live with that anymore.
oneLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5.5"

I avoided weighing myself for the first several months. I think you are making the right decision if the scale depresses you. Just focus on healthy eating and exercise. Let the weight loss happen.
LizR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #10  
Writer. Often pantsless.

Height: 5'7

My husband literally took mine away from me.

I'm a compulsive weigh-er, and would weigh myself every time I was in the bathroom. And then if I wasn't at the number I thought I should be, I would come out of the bathroom and complain complain complain at him, and spend way too much time feeling depressed and lame about it.

So last week, I got home from work and went to weigh myself and the scale wasn't in its regular spot. I text messaged him and he didn't reply, so I looked around the house a bit for it - no luck. When he got home, I asked him what he did with it, and he said he can't stand the scale-related-crazy any more, so he may have hid it, he may have gotten rid of it. He won't tell me. And after pestering him to give it back to me, he still hasn't caved.

I have to admit, I feel better mentally.
pokeycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 PM   #11  

Glad I'm not the only one with scale issues! LOL

I just think I will do better if I don't weigh more than once a month. Actually even then, I may just use the Wii and only get the BMI and not the weight number. It still records the number, but I don't have to look at it. Not to mention that annoying little dun-dun,dun music then "That's obese", will keep me from wanting to weigh to often! LOL Anyone that owns a Wii fit will understand! LOL

I really do need to take pictures though. I think that will help more than the numbers. When I lost weight before I had issues with seeing myself as I was. When I looked in the mirror, I couldn't see the new me. I still looked the same to myself as I always had. My brain just didn't recognize the difference.
aubrylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #12  
GoingTheDistance

S/C/G: 313/252/172

Height: 5'10"

I have been weighing myself monthly. I picked a time of the month well away from the TOM. I too have a tendency to let the scale dictate my day if I see something I don't like. I also take measurements monthly, which might be something you could do.

It can be hard to see a change in yourself in the mirror, but a tape measure does not lie! I love seeing the inches lost pile up, almost as good a feeling as pounds lost to me.

Bottom line is do what works for you. Best wishes to you and your journey.
renstwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #13  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm avoiding the scale right now periodically as I'm in a HUGE plateau... I weigh when I feel I need to to make sure that I'm not GAINING but other than that? Ignore.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I weigh every single day... if I don't, it's the fastest way for me to fall off the wagon.

It definately isn't always easy to see that number every morning, esp the past few days while TOM has been here, but it's the one thing that I have found keeps me going.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #15  
Amazing will be me

yes i to am avoiding it ............as i know its gona tell me what i dont wana hear ,i feel ive gained and its such a let down when uve been loosing, yep scales can be a scary place
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote