Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm going to a BBQ

We'll be there in 45 minutes. I had a big breakfast and ate an hour later than I normally do. Since breakfast I have eaten almonds and now I am having a cup of coffee. I am only at 600 calories for the day. I am planning on having 1 cup of my pasta salad, a cheeseburger and lots of water. I might indulge in fruit if someone brings any. I can eat 1200 calories before I go to bed tonight so I have some leeway if there are things there I want to taste. On the other hand I only want to eat if I am really hungry. At this point I feel fine because the breakfast was high protein and the almonds have been tiding me over, but I am sure by the time things come off the grill I will feel hungry. I am nervous yet confident I won't binge. Wish me luck!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You're going to be just fine. It is an adjustment, socializing and not giving in to every little food desire that passes your way. You will build more confidence as you see you CAN socialize and get away unscathed, so to speak.

For me, when I go to social events, I have a set of definite NO'S that I follow. I make them ahead of time, this way I don't have to think about it when I get there. The decision's already been made, when I had a clear head and not faced with the temptation.

I would therefore caution you about those *things that you may want to taste*. Remember, just because you want something, doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. Right now you are focused on your health and you can't let that focus fly out the window just because your circumstances are not *ideal*, so to speak. For me, one taste, led to two, led to three, led to me blowing my whole calorie budget and perhaps not getting back on plan for days or heaven's forbid weeks. It took *me* a looooong time till I was able to have a *taste* of something without it causing an overeating episode. Sometimes, it STILL does. When I was in the early throes of my weight loss journey, I was not willing to take a chance that I could do it *this time*, I was not willing to take a chance, I was not willing to risk a weight gain or a stall. But of course we are all different.

But for me, I declare the cakes, cookies, desserts, the saucy, mayonaise-y stuff.strictly off limits. I don't find it restrictive, I find it freeing. I stick to grilled chicken and veggies and some fruit. Diet soda and lots of mingling!

Those foods didn't hold power over me, if I had already pre-determined that I was NOT going to eat them.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing of you mastering the evening.Enjoy !! But I for one won't wish you luck. Luck can't help you. Luck's got nothing to do with this. This is all about choice. Thank goodness it's not left up to luck, because than it would be out of our hands, out of our control and that's never a good thing. It's too darn important. This IS within our power, this IS within our control.

I digressed yet again. Oy. Let us know how it went.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-23-2010 at 04:35 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

*if* someone brings fruit? You take the fruit! I also take my own veggie burger and healthy whole grain bun BBQs are an easy social occasion!

I would also strongly recommend a 1 plate rule.

Last edited by Glory87; 05-23-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #4  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I made it!! It was great!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Good job!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
YThe decision's already been made, when I had a clear head and not faced with the temptation.
Learning this exact lesson was the most important thing I did on my weight loss journey so far. (Thanks, Robin!)

It's those LITTLE decisions that kill me, the should I or shouldn't I... the thought process that starts with "I'll just have a taste" and then leads to "well, if one bite is okay then one more bite won't hurt..." which used to often lead to my fat butt parked in the corner with a plate overloaded with food....

Yesterday, I came into work and somebody had left three little bags of candy on the counter top. There were red licorice swirls, m&ms and sour patch kids... just few pieces left in each bag... now I can guarantee you that for the past 20 or so years, I would have thought about that candy on and off until I ended up tasting it, and then shortly thereafter I would have ended up finishing all 3 bags. But yesterday, I saw the bags, moved them to a spot where I couldn't see them-- and then promptly forgot about them. Eventually, about 8 hours later, I caught sight of the bags again, and I realized how remarkable that was.... not only did I not eat the candy, or taste it-- I never gave it a second thought. That would have been IMPOSSIBLE for me before.

For me, Robin's strategy works. Make a clear plan ahead of time. Stick to it. It taught me to conquer what used to be my single biggest enemy-- cravings and temptation.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! I'm sure you'll do great!

Oops! Edited to add that I just realized you are already back! Great work!

Last edited by ubergirl; 05-24-2010 at 10:13 AM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote