Old 05-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Am I a whimp?

Ok, so I got an elliptical over the weekend (yardsale score!!). I have never used one before, but figured how hard could it be.. and have heard it's a good workout. Well, I can barely make it for 4-5 minutes on it... and that's with pausing a few times in that time period! Is that normal for someone just starting out on it?

(by the way, while trying to push myself to go beyond 5 minutes this morning, I pulled a muscle in my leg... ouch!! May be a few days before I get on it again I'm afraid.. or do much for that matter, walking alone is hurting pretty bad right now )

ETA.. another question.. how do you log the use of an elliptical in fitday???

Last edited by findingfawn; 05-24-2010 at 09:34 AM.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

sorry you have an ouchie!
is it a manual or an electric? is it hydrolic?

Elips were my favorite machines at the gym, so I bought one to use at home a few years ago. Turns out the ones at the gym and the ones most of us buy... totally different. The "home" ones are either manual or electrical, but the electrical generally only operates the screen display.
The electrical ones at the gym have hydrolic parts, that make them soooo much easier to glide along in. So the manuals will be burning more calories but they are HARD to use.

So when I got mine home I couldn't do it for more than 5 min. I worked at adding a minute every 3 days. I never got higher than 15 minutes. To be honest I dreaded stepping on the thing and I don't stick with dreaded workouts. I give you for making it as long as you did!!
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

good for you for finding an elliptical at a yard sale! That's awesome!

Regarding wimpishness...

Here's what I have had to learn this year, since I started exercising with a very low level of fitness...

You have to accept your starting point and work incrementally from there.

If you can only do 3 minutes comfortably, then do 3 minutes...you can hop off, walk around and rest, and do another three minutes on and off...

Start with whatever level you are comfortable with and add incrementally from there. Don't push yourself past the point of exhaustion, because you won't stick with it....

Set small goals and be consistent and you will gain fitness before you know it.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #4  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

I agree w/ubergirl, if that's 4 mins is what you can do, it is what you can do. As long as you keep trying, you will build up time! As far as the pulled muscle, maybe try walking in place, as a warm up, for 5-10 mins, and allow the blood to start coursing through your veins, then have a good stretch before you get on the machine, this may help with muscle strains and sprains. As far as being a wimp, I have always been a treadmill person, even in high school, and the first time I tried the elliptical machine, it was so strange to me that I almost fell off. It is a totally different thing than a treadmill and it takes a while for your body to get use to it, however it is a good low impact workout. Just keep trying, you will get better!!! Congrats and best wishes!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

thanks girls

It's technically electrical, but like you said only the monitor is

I like your every 3 day plan Uber, I think when I get back on it.. not till my leg feels better for sure, I think I may start out at like 2 minutes at a time and work my way up.

Another treadmill is on my looking list for yardsales, at least one that will get me through till tax time next year. I had one but it died a few months back and I didn't have the $$ for a new one with taxes because I used my portion of them to pay off my truck (YAY.. we are 100% debt free now!! so no complaining that I didn't get anything fun )
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Taralee, interesting, and I believe it!!

Fawn, congratulations! I just want to second (or third) the words of encouragement to take it where you are. I am continuously amazed at quickly the body adapts to what we do it to it. What we couldn't do yesterday becomes easy today!

Keep at it and you WILL feel so proud of yourself!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #7  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Interesting about the home version being different. I use the one at a gym sometimes and Love it! Maybe I will think twice about getting one now!

Congrats to you for doing what you could do!! Just keep it up!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a home elliptical, and it is indeed very different from a gym/hotel elliptical. Some are very cheap... if you buy them new, the ones that are priced less than, say, $500 tend to be for occasional use only. If you're going to use it regularly, you're better off spending a couple hundred more for one that can take the battering. We got ours from Sears a couple years ago, and it's not top-of-the-line, but not a cheap model, either.

If you're not used to elliptical, it may indeed take a bit of time to get used to the motion. It's not like being on a treadmill at all. It's more like the old cross-country ski machines (Nordic Trak, anyone?). It's one of the only weight-bearing, no-impact exercises out there... so if you're like me and sometimes have problems with impact exercises (even walking), even treadmills can be a problem. The elliptical, however, I can do. My podiatrist is VERY pleased that I use an elliptical, because my tendinitis isn't aggravated by it like it is with walking. (and there's only so much biking my bottom can stand!)

That being said, I echo what these good ladies have already said. It's a new motion for you... five minutes is a great beginning! And go slowly to get used to it. Soon you'll be adding a few minutes here and there, and grow to a longer workout. I can still only do about 30-40 minutes on mine, and I've had it for a while now.

So don't give up on it yet. Give it time to grow on you.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #9  
It'll all be worth it...

S/C/G: 245/Ticker/120

Height: 5'4

You are not a whimp! And you're also not alone!!!! I am struggling with it too! But I've been pushing through it and I can stay on it for 10 mins now after a few weeks of work on it!! It's a toss up for me, the bike my a** is in agony after 5 mins or my feet are in agony on the eliptical after 5 mins......Ah the joys of exercise!

Honestly though if you are determind to do it try and work through on a lower resistence and try to note if you have your feet positioned correctly.

Good Luck!
Maddie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

wanted to let you know that when I started doing the elliptical I could barely do five minutes (never used a home machine). I agree with uber re taking it slowly/incrementally and avoiding injuries (which have stopped me from exercising for days and more in the past). for me, consistency has been the key. have fun! and congrats on finding a good buy!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote