Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #1  
Wandervogel

S/C/G: 241/214.5/150

Height: 5'4

Default I don't know what's going on!

Hi guys, long time no see!

I returned from Europe to find out my scale was off by 6 pounds and I was actually 217... which is fine with me, because I still lost 24 pounds! Yippee!!

I've started working out every day - between 30 and 40 minutes on an elliptical trainer as well as sometimes walking in the evening. I follow a 14-1600 calorie diet. So I weighed myself when I got home - 217 with 48% body fat...

and I stepped on the scale today sure I'd see some great results after 2 weeks of this - and instead I see 219 with 47% body fat!

Does this mean I gained a couple of pounds of muscle? I don't know what happened here! All I know is I have less body fat and more pounds.

I'll be back here every day because I'm aiming for 199 by August, and I need that inspiration you guys provide Thanks for your help!
Raichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #2  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

That is great! In my experience, I don't find the body fat analyzer on a scale to be very accurate. I believe it has a lot to do with how hydrated you are at the time and how long ago you exercised. I would go with the lower body fat % number and stick with that. I bet you will be at your mini goal by August
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #3  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

47% body fat for your h/w sounds obscenely inaccurate. So I had to check it out.

Via the regular BMI calculator on bmicalculator.com, your h/w shows as:

Your BMI is: 38.8
You are in the SEVERELY OBESE weight range.
Goal Setting Recommendation: To move to the next weight range you need to weigh 197 pounds to be in the MODERATELY OBESE weight range.

There. You just lost 10%, which sounds much more in the right range.

Keep up the great work!
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #4  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Don't stress about the body fat calculator. My literally changes daily, up and down. The are very inaccurate. As for the gain, it's probably just a natural fluctuation assuming you've been honest about your intake and extra cals haven't been sneaking in.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKelly View Post
47% body fat for your h/w sounds obscenely inaccurate. So I had to check it out.

Via the regular BMI calculator on bmicalculator.com, your h/w shows as:

Your BMI is: 38.8
You are in the SEVERELY OBESE weight range.
Goal Setting Recommendation: To move to the next weight range you need to weigh 197 pounds to be in the MODERATELY OBESE weight range.

There. You just lost 10%, which sounds much more in the right range.

Keep up the great work!
Um, you do realize that BMI versus body fat percentage are different measurements, right? It's apples to oranges.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #6  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Um, you do realize that BMI versus body fat percentage are different measurements, right? It's apples to oranges.
No, I actually did not know that. Instead of responding to me like I am positively dense, perhaps you can be kind and understanding enough educate me on what that difference is.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

I can fully understand the misunderstanding, as a scale could easily give one their BMI, if you input height and weight, as this is a very standard calculation. I am VERY distrustful of scales that give body fat percentage though. This calculation is far from standard. I never fully understood the voodoo behind that. I have enough problems dealing with the weight on mine, I dont want it throwing other numbers at me.

I'm jumping on the google bandwagon on this one too though. Can find most any user manual on there!
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/204/130

Height: 5'2

I wouldn't really worry about the body fat percentage, those scales are usually not accurate. The 219 could be that you gained muscle, a good way to check if you lost weight without relying on a scale is using a measure tape to see if you lost inches. Keep up the hard work though, and I'm sure you'll reach you August goal.

Have a great week!!
tamifc is offline   Reply With Quote