Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Default Had to Macgyver my pants today...

No..I didn't make a bomb out of a pen, rubber band and some play dough. Nothing so fancy for me.

Just a paper clip and a broken zipper.

The zipper on my pants busted and down went the fly right in the middle of the store! Good thing I was wearing a long shirt. I was soo bummed. I was feeling all good about myself losing 11 lbs and that the jeans fit and felt comfortable. Before I couldn't pull them closed and now they closed and zipped, and were a bit tight on the tummy but I had no other options left.

My other 2 pair of jeans have holes in the thighs where my legs rubbed together and wore out, and one of them also has torn, shredded pant cuffs from a case of "being too short for my own good."

We were changing out signs today too so there was a lot of lifting arms, and shirts raising up past the halfway point of my broken zipper. Meaning that EVERYONE could see...well...you know. Emily couldn't find a safety pin, and I wasn't really eager to put one on and have it pop open and stab me. I mean its just a tiny piece of metal with a VERY sharp point and I'm gonna ask it to hold up my busted zipper, under extreme pressure from my notshrinkingmidsection? Whatever. Even I know its a dumb idea.

I spotted a medium paper clip and grabbed it and ran off to the bathroom. It took me a bit to figure out how to make this work. I wound up sticking the metal through the zipper, and into the button hole, and around the button, where I twisted the pieces of metal tight. The whole process took me about 8 minutes to get it right. By this time, I'm sweaty, in tears, and frustrated.

I had to bend it downward best I could, but there wasn't much room to do it so I had to hold it each time I had to bend and pick something up. Naturaly we were busy and had lots of messy people dropping stuff. I kept forgetting and jabbing myself in the belly.

Last major obstacle? Bathroom...how on earth was I gonna manage this? I'd have to undo, and redo this stupid contraption each time I had to go! I resolved (at 10 am) Not to drink anything so I wouldn't have to pee.

I kind of forgot that later, and chugged half a bottle of water! Yikes! I managed to hold it till 2pm. I was ready to bolt and my manager asked me to stay a couple extra minutes so she could eat an orange. Oh man....okay hurry please!

Made it home and making up for lost time with the water. So thirsty, but more embarassed. So much for old clothes fitting well.

Last edited by CrystalZ10; 05-23-2010 at 06:48 PM.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #2  
bridesmaid on the right

S/C/G: 195/ticker/140

Height: 5 ft. 3 inches

Oh bless your heart! (can you tell I'm southern yet?)

If it makes you feel any better a few months ago, my (rather tight) pants split right down the back as I was squatting down to tie a child's shoe! (I
teach special needs preschool) Luckily my back was to the children, so none of them noticed right away. I slowly backed toward my desk and called my asssitant over and told her what happened. We both had a good laugh - it was kinda funny even though I was embarrased. I gave her my keys and she went out and got my extra pants outta my car (I learned the hard way to keep extra clothes in the car when working with young children - you never know what you might get on you!)

(btw - I'm soooo tired of the thighs wearing out on all my pants I'm considering preemptively patching all of the new ones I get!)

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you and congratulations on your weight loss - keep going!
seafoamgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #3  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Hugs I know how hard embarrassing situations in public can be. It soon will pass and maybe even become a funny story...down the road I had a bad mishap at work during TOM at a busy office, while wearing light pants and sitting on a tan cloth office chair. At the time, it felt horrible but I got over it and you will too I bet no one even noticed it
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

awwwwwwwwww *hugs* i know exactly what you are saying. I absolutely refuse to buy a bigger size. A few of my pants have worn out in the thighs, i keep trying to sew them together, which doesn't really work. lol Then I have 2 pairs of scrub pants that I have been working that are starting to do the same thing.

Last edited by kendra; 05-25-2010 at 12:04 AM.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh sweetheart... I have been there.
I had a pair of pants that were the only ones that fit (barely) and I wore them like every day because I was too broke/ cheap/ waiting to lose weight to buy new ones. Every day the zipper broke, and every day I would rig something up to fix them (safety pins- I work a desk job- lots of stab wounds in the gut). One day the zipper broke permanently. I snuck out of work and actually had to run to a store to pick up a new pair of pants!! I hoped like crazy my coworkers didn't notice that I changed clothes in the middle of the day... Paranoid that rumors of me 'having an accident' might circulate!!
Hang in there and treat yourself to new pants- you've earned it with all your hard work!
nicolejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

We're on the broke side and can't afford to buy a lot of clothes at the moment. If I can find time to run to Ross, I'll look for another cheap pair to get me through the next month.
Meantime I have a teeny tiny hole in one pair of jeans, and a pair of black dress pants.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #7  
movin on...

S/C/G: 85/79/65 KG

Height: 163cm

Crystal, I think macgyver would have been proud of you! :-)
I hope you don't mind but your little post kind of made me laugh -just the way you described the situation. Now we know how to deal with a broken zipper in a seemingly hopeless situation! Wish u good luck with the next pair of pants :-)
~gnocchi
gnocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

It stinks to be embarrassed about normal stuff doesn't it?

Torn/zipper problem pants are very normal...being in construction for many years I know

I have ripped the crotch out of my pants so many times....or torn the back end out...climbing scaffold or getting caught on wire climbing up/down. But lucky for us guys, we wrap it up with duct/masking tape and keep going.

I think the most I was embarrassed was years ago in junior high...we were using poster paint in art class....my neighbor reached across me to grab a brush and elbowed bright green right into my crotch....

I must have been pretty colorful walking around the rest of the day with a green crotch on my white pants and a very-very red face

So happy you won the battle
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote