Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default Someone slap me!

Ugh! I'm so tempted just to head to my maintenance calories and let my body just plateau where it wants to. I'm so tired of focusing on weight loss and my goal, I just want to maintain and focus on nutrition and fitness! But I don't want to maintain this weight! I'd use the "suggested" maintenance calories for someone 10lbs lower than my "goal" weight, which is a level I think I'd be very happy at for the rest of my life, and I'd continue to zigzag to keep my body guessing and allow for dinner out and what not. But I know that I need to stay strong for just 10 more lbs maybe 15 and then attempt that strategy. I know that 145-148 is where I will be more comfortable. I'm pretty happy now, but there are some areas that need some more shrinking and I refuse to be in the "overweight" category. I know that's stupid, but I just do. I'm so tired of being preoccupied by food, but I know that won't change even if I do start a maintenance plan now, I'm always going to be preoccupied by food. I just think it would be nice just to naturally reach my goal and not be afraid that once I get there I have to figure out how to maintain it because I'll have been maintaining it all along. Can anyone relate or think it might be a good idea to inact my plan now? I mean I guess I could do it and if it doesn't work or I'm unhappy with the results I can just return to where I am now...Oh how to I make this decision!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #2  
love it or lose it

S/C/G: 210/209/150

Height: 5'2"

How about a kick in the butt?

You have done a great job and you are SO CLOSE to the end! Why quit now?? You will be so happy and so proud of yourself when you get to goal.

I do understand your frustration though. I have a long way to go, but my journey so far has had some moments where I want to quit and give up. I get so obsessed over what I am eating and counting calories.

Keep going!
shortandfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

You have come a long way! If you need to take a new approach and just jump into maintaining by all means do.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #4  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

You only have 10lbs to go!!!!!

You can do it
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/245/150

Height: 5"5"

I can relate to the over focus on food, almost becomes a full time job and sooooo boring. I don't know any other way though, some people say you get so used to it after a while that it's second nature. One friend eats all she wants until she puts on 1-2 pounds then diets those off and starts over. She said she gets 2-4 weeks break out of this approach and has kept her weight off for 2 years!!
chubby14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

You've been posting a lot in this vein - what about taking a "maintenance practice" break? Do exactly what you said in this post, explore those new habits and see what happens. Maybe you'll end up losing a bit anyway, maybe not. But just give yourself the mental break. You can go back to a more stringent approach (if you need to - your idea of eating what you think is the maintenence amount for your goal weight may just get you there anyway!)

Or of course, you may just be in a funk today and feel fine about staying on plan tomorrow.

Last edited by PeanutsMom704; 05-20-2010 at 05:08 PM.
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #7  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

ncuneo, you have an amazing lost 110 lbs! Kudos to you! I have bee reading your posts recently and you definitely have a theme going here. I think that you will get lots of opinions regarding whether you should move to maintenance now or when you've lost another 10 lbs, your stated goal. Only you can make this decision and trust me, we'll be ok with either one. I was in your shoes in September 09. I was sick to death of counting calories and felt that I was becoming a little too obsessive about it. I called it good and moved to a more mindful eating plan. Calorie counting had taught me alot about portions, satiety and fullness. I stopped counting calories but continued watching the scale. Over the next 3 months I lost 15 lbs to reach my goal. I know this approach is not for everyone. The way I see it is you have two choices:

1. Continue as you are to reach your goal.
2. Move to maintenance calories at the level of your weight goal.

Relax! You're doing great. Trust yourself, listen to your gut and make your decision! Enjoy how great you are feeling in the here and now. I would suggest that you really take some time to pamper yourself, you sound kinda stressed about this decision.

PeanutsMom and I were posting at the same time! She brings up a really good point about a "Maintenance Break".

Last edited by losermom; 05-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #8  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
You've been posting a lot in this vein
Quote:
I have bee reading your posts recently and you definitely have a theme going here.
Haha! You guys noticed I think I'm going to try to hang in there a little longer, TOM is next week so I shouldn't make any rash decisions, plus the week after TOM is generally a really good weight loss week for me...but after that I may serious consider a "maintenance break" as suggested.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote