Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297.4/ticker/190

Height: 5'3"

Default Get Real and Get Fit Summer Challenge!

Hey everyone! This challenge starts today...right NOW! And in this challenge we are going to GET REAL about weight loss and GET FIT! We are gonna lose it and keep it off!
There are so many false beliefs about weight loss that so many of us carry around. I hear so many people say, "I will start tomorrow fresh!" or "I will start Monday!" Well guess what? You don't have to start fresh at the beginning of a new year, the beginning of a new month, the beginning of a new week, or even the beginning of a new day....we can start RIGHT NOW!

So, no matter what you have done already today or already this week...its in the past! All you can do is learn from your mistakes and move on. Let's do that in this challenge. Don't waste another minute or another second being something you DON'T wanna be....fat and unhealthy!

In this challenge I want anyone who participates to:

1. Tell us a little about yourself....how you got where you are...what hasn't worked...what has worked...etc. Your story may help someone else.

2. Develop a plan - This is a plan for food (calories or fat or South Beach Diet...which ever plan you are following), water (ounces per day), and exercise (minutes per day or week). Tell us your plan! Tell us why you have chosen this plan....What things are you doing to ensure success on your plan....pre-cooking meals, throwing out junk food, etc.

3. Weigh in - Tell us your weight today....and tell us how often you plan on weighing in (daily, weekly, monthly...whenever)...what are your goals?

4. Participate - Give and get support....talk about various weight loss topics/issues, talk about what problems your having....or not having, tell us about your non-scale victories.

5. Tweak your plan - This challenge is ALL about NOT GIVING UP! So what if you screwed up breakfast or some other meal today.....that doesn't mean the whole day goes to waste...or the whole week even! NO...its habits like THOSE that keep us in our current situations. INSTEAD, in this challenge when you have a slip up...or go "off plan" your challenge becomes to find the WHY behind the slip up and keep it from happening again. This may mean you tweak your plan a little or you come to your fellow challengers for suggestions.

6. GET REAL - No one here gained their weight over night, over a week, over a month, and I would venture to say that no one gained all their weight in over a year. I have been packing on the pounds pretty steadily over the past 12-14 years at about a rate of 7 pounds a year. Of course I don't want to take 12-14 years to get it off, but I have finally realized that it is not going to all come off over night. It may take me 2-3 years to get to where I want to be. This has been my biggest down fall. I start something...I make it really hard because I want to see results really fast....and then when I don't I give up. So, I am ready to get REAL....how about you?

With this being said...the GET REAL portion of this challenge is your goal weight loss for the duration of the summer challenge. This challenge will run 15 weeks....starting today and ending on September 1st, 2010.

Keep in mind if you lose 1 pound a week that is 15 pounds....2 pounds a week is 30 pounds...and 3 pounds a week is 45 pounds....so a realistic weight loss would probably be between 15 - 45 pounds

I know many of you are sitting there right now looking at the screen thinking, "UGH...15 pounds that is it?" But if all you do is lose 15 pounds this entire year...isn't that better than nothing....isn't that better than gaining weight?

I am hoping many of you sign up for this challenge....there will be a prize for the biggest loser (percentage weight lost)....although I am not sure what ....but I think this will make it fun! Any suggestions on this
?
McKenziesmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #2  

Default Jumping in....

Okay so here is my stuff....

1. My name is Melissa. I'm 28 years old, and I currently weight 263.4 pounds. I am constantly planning on starting a diet.....that I never stick to. I like to get motivated and have unreal expectations....and when I don't see the results I want I give up....the result from this has not been weight loss or even maintaining...but rather weight gain. I'm ready to change my lifestyle and be healthier and reap the benefits of that in steady weight loss that will add up over time.

2. I'm a calorie counter. This way I don't feel that I have to eliminate any one kind of food out of my diet. I have tried all that and it doesn't work for me. So, I am eating 1500-1800 calories a day (using a range to help prevent my body from plateauing). I don't like water...so I am going to start out with 20 ounces a day and gradually increase that to 80 ounces a day. I will increase my ounces each week. My initial exercise goal is just to exercise for 30 minutes a day and to vary my exercise. This can be walking, jogging, swimming, weights, work out DVD's, going to the gym, or playing my wii. I want to make sure I increase the intensity and length of my workouts through out the duration of this challenge so that I may get stronger.

To ensure success on this plan I will limit junk food brought into the house, eat out no more than 2-3 times a month, learn to make healthier versions of the foods I love, and NOT GIVE UP!

3. As I said above, I weigh 263.4 pounds, and I plan on weighing weekly for this challenge so that I can see what is working and tweak my plan as needed.

4. I have just graduated from college, and I only work 2 days a week right now. I have alot of time, and I am ready to give and get support and participate in this challenge.

5. READY for this....I will let everyone know what does and doesn't work for me so that I may get suggestions from you all. I will also let everyone know what I'm trying that may be to help out my plan so that I can get feedback....I'm all about the support system!

6. I am ready to get real. My goal is to lose 2-3 pounds a week for this challenge. Usually I want to lose 3-5 pounds a week and I practically kill myself trying. I start out just wanting to lose 2-3 pounds and then the first week I lose alot more so I start expecting those results...I realise that my first week I may lose more due to losing excess water weight. I also realise that some weeks I may lose less or lose nothing due to TOM, water retention, muscle gain, etc.....and I am ready for this. I will not GIVE UP!

So...

Start weight - 263.4
Goal weight - 218 WOW! So close to ONEderland...I can handle that!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Heck why not! I plan on really hitting the gym hard this summer anyway...

1. How I got here is hard to answer. I am 35 years old. I yo-yoed a lot growing up, but size 12 was my high. Then I started taking BP just prior to my marriage and I swear that triggered PCOS in me. I didn't know I had it then, but I gained a ridiculous 70 lbs my first year of marriage!! Two kids later and my weight just kept ballooning, despite my weight loss efforts. It tried the ASAP diet (just a book we picked up) and South Beach, most notably. I was successful on SBD and lost 30 lbs with intense exercise, but the pace was not fast enough for me, so I quit. Now I calorie count and work out intensely. The speed is slow, but this time, I don't care!! I read the quote "A year from now you'll be glad you started today" and from there I created THE thing that has kept me going. I set a goal to still be on plan one year from my start without any excuses. No matter what the scale says, it doesn't matter. I'm in this for one year. (And you know when that year is up I will be firmly entrenched in good habits!) This September 1 deadlines is just two months shy of that one year commitment!

2. My plan is simple and sustainable. Simple and sustainable works for me. I do tweak it though and I need to be able to tweak throughout the challenge. Right now I'm eating 1200 calories and am trying to front load them early in my day. I eat 6 mini meals of equal calorie content, so:
Pre-workout, breakfast, mini meal, lunch, mini meal, dinner
I eat low sodium, whole foods and have become a food snob.

3. Today I happily weigh 184.6 at 5'4". My ultimate goal is to be committed for one year, but if I had to choose a weight it would be 135. I weigh daily which oddly helps me obsess LESS. It's weird. My current fitness goal is to run an actual 5K race. I know I will make it too because I can run a 5K on the treadmill with one 3:00 walk!

4. Participate: check!

5. As I said, the biggest reason for my success is simply not allowing myself to give up. By weighing and facing the scale daily and by committing to one year...I have this in the bag.

6. See #5

My goal for this challenge is 30 lbs OR a size 10. I drop inches like mad lately but the scale does not budge. This month I dropped a dress size with a one pound loss. So I am SIZE oriented, not pound oriented.

Start date: 5/19/2010
Finish line: 9/1/2010
Start weight: 184.6 size 14
Finish weight:
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #4  

Eliana! Congratulations on your success this far! I can't wait to be where you are
Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You will be, you will be!! Just stay focused on what you can do today that you couldn't do yesterday. Set some fitness goals that you have total control over, unlike that stupid scale. Fitness goals are awesome because it's amazing how quickly our bodies adapt. And try to compare yourself only to you. Some of us are fast losers, and some of us are slow losers, and sometimes for no apparent reason. Sometimes we lose inches while holding onto the pounds and it gets frustrating.

The key is exactly your challenge!! Stick with it and eventually it WILL work.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

Whoo! Sounds great!

1. I'm Danielle, almost 24, from Michigan. My highest weight was 195. My lowest weight was 150. I am currently at 165. Hmmm, what doesn't work? I don't believe in diets that restrict essential things to our diet, such as carbohydrates or eliminating ALL fats. Our body needs those things to survive and be healthy. Yes, there is a thing as too much, but people need to learn how to eat the healthy fats and carbs, not just cut them ALL out. I have tried South Beach in the past and I would not recommend it to anyone. I did Weight Watchers for a while, which was actually good, but I got sick of paying to go step on someone elses scale and talk to other women, when I could step on my own scale for free at home, and talk to women on here! What works for me? I've been continually educating myself on the correct way to eat. Learning the differences in the kinds of fat, and other things in food. And exercise! I tried diet pills in the past, but you know what? There is no fix-it-fast-magic-pill that is going to make you lose weight without eating right and exercising.

2. As I said in #1..just eating correctly. Getting the right numbers of fruits and veggies in each day. Balancing the carbs/proteins/good fats that I need in my body for it to work properly. Drinking the right amount of water. Exercise - getting at least that 30 minutes a day. I'm doing P90X, I walk every day, and I use my Wii to workout. I have yoga class Wednesday nights. Starting the week of June 14 I have zumba Monday's, yoga Tuesday's & Wednesday's, hip hop dancing Thursday's, and kickboxing Saturday's. I'm ready to kick this summer's butt! To ensure success? The only drink I have in my house is water. (& OJ for breakfast) This week I started buying my veggies and immediately cutting them up and putting them in ziplock baggies in proportion sizes, so that when I need a quick snack, I have no reason to reach for say chips because I don't have to wash them, cut them up, etc to have a veggie. I'm going to start doubling recipies so that I can put them in containers and freeze them for the nights I don't want to cook. I am no longer buying pre-packaged freezer meals.

3. Today I weight 165. I weigh myself every day, out of habit and to monitor the fluctuations. But I only actually weigh in once a week. My goal is to get down to 145, but that's flexible too. Once I get there I might want to lose more, or maybe not. I'm going to go by how I feel and look at that point. The actually weight number isn't what I'm worried about. It's the amount of body fat, and inches also help tell that.

4. Participate: Check!

5. Tweak your plan: Ready!

6. GET REAL: Ready!

Start Weight: 165
Goal Weight: 145

vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 307/263/165

Height: 5'9

I'm in...I need the extra push as I've been stttttuck in the mid 260s, I'll post more when I get home.
ALEKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/147/135

Height: 5'4"

What the heck - I will come out of lurkdom now

1. My name is Julie. I am 48 years old and live in a teeny tiny town somewhere in Georgia! I would like to lose about 20 pounds, but would be happy with 15. I am currently on WW, but have been eating very healthy since I quit smoking in 2006. The reason I am on WW is because I eat too much (obviously!) and the points keep me in check.

2. I exercise a lot. I have run many 5k's, a few 10k's, a half marathon and will run my 1st full marathon on Oct 26th. We are cyclists and ride often. Last Saturday we rode 77 miles for charity. You would think that with all that exercise I would be a lean mean machine - well - I aint! Have I mentioned that I eat too much? Oh, and I like beer, too!

3. I currently weigh 154.4 and weigh about 3x a week but my official weigh in is Monday morning.

4. **CONFESSION** I hope you all don't hate me or think I am some sort of beast when I tell you why I really, REALLY want to lose this weight by August 28th. See, I have been happily married for 30 years - but I still have my moments of insecurity. We have rented a house on the beach for a week in August, and our children and grandchildren are coming. Then on a whim I invited my baby sister (42 years old) and my niece, neither of whom I have seen in years. I am so excited that they are coming!!!

Now, here is the thing - my sister is SKINNY!!!! In fact, my mom told me last time we talked that she is getting skinnier cuz she 'forgets' to eat. Now really, who FORGETS to eat?

Anyhoo - I don't want to have my thunder thighs stuffed in a swim suit while my teeny baby sister is all cutesy in her bikini! I want my DH to be happy he married me and not my skinny sister! Stupid, I know, because in reality my DH has never ever said anything about my weight and obviously loves me for who I am. It is a Julie thing!!

Ok, now that I got that off my chest I will be keeping you all informed with my boring details of my marathon training, etc. Thanks for reading my novel!!

Starting Weight - 154.4
Goal Weight - 135
Goal Date - 20 Aug 2010

Oh, and BTW, my ticker is wrong. I have to go figure out how to change it.
Julie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigoskyy View Post
I don't believe in diets that restrict essential things to our diet, such as carbohydrates or eliminating ALL fats. Our body needs those things to survive and be healthy. Yes, there is a thing as too much, but people need to learn how to eat the healthy fats and carbs, not just cut them ALL out.

There is no fix-it-fast-magic-pill that is going to make you lose weight without eating right and exercising.

Starting the week of June 14 I have zumba Monday's, yoga Tuesday's & Wednesday's, hip hop dancing Thursday's, and kickboxing Saturday's.

This week I started buying my veggies and immediately cutting them up and putting them in ziplock baggies in proportion sizes, so that when I need a quick snack, I have no reason to reach for say chips because I don't have to wash them, cut them up, etc to have a veggie.

I'm going to start doubling recipies so that I can put them in containers and freeze them for the nights I don't want to cook. I am no longer buying pre-packaged freezer meals.
WOW you hit the nail on the head with the excuding various things from your diet. Your right you do need all of those things to be healthy...in moderation you can have anything....I believe that any diet that is extreme and forces you to exclude things from your diet is setting you up for failure...because what you should really be doing is learning how to eat healthy and enjoy the things you like such as chocolate chip cookies an chips occasionally in moderation....and balance that splurge with an increase in physical activity or something...You have some really great ideas that I would like to try....I'm so glad your here and that you have shared your info and I look forward to your contribution to this challenge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie131 View Post
[COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"]What the heck - I will come out of lurkdom now

4. **CONFESSION** I hope you all don't hate me or think I am some sort of beast when I tell you why I really, REALLY want to lose this weight by August 28th.

I want my DH to be happy he married me and not my skinny sister! Stupid, I know, because in reality my DH has never ever said anything about my weight and obviously loves me for who I am. It is a Julie thing!!

Oh, and BTW, my ticker is wrong. I have to go figure out how to change it.
I think it will be fine if your goal date is before Sept 1st...its only a little before then anyways
I know what you mean about the husband thing and being self conscience...my hubby works out 5 days a week and has for years...he looks amazing....I hate going out in public with him because I feel like people are thinking why is he with her? Good luck chick! And

Oh yeah....when you go back into the thread and read your posts...click on your clicker in your signature...a new window will open and let you adjust the info in your clicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEKS View Post
I'm in...I need the extra push as I've been stttttuck in the mid 260s, I'll post more when I get home.
Looking forward to your info!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

Who am I to ignore a challenge? I say, bring it on!

1. My name is Kris, and I have been overweight most of my life. Hit morbid obesity sometimes in the last year, and finally started to do something about it in mid February if this year. I am down 32 pounds right now, but have at least 30 to 40 more to go. I am the mother for 3 children, 2 are in their 20s, and the third is 14. My biggest hobby (No laughing allowed!) is world of warcraft. Oh yes..I am a gamer from way back. I dont think raiding a 25 man instance burns many calories, but I do enjoy it. For the record, I have NEVER had a problem losing weight. Oh my..I can lose weight. I am the queen of weight loss..the problem is, I am also the queen of weight gain! Can I hear an Amen, sister?

2. I plan on sticking with my current diet plan, which is really a simple reduction in total calories, and heavy emphasis on vegetables, vegetables, vegetables. I think, very soon, I will have hair like a broccoli and arms like green beans. the daily trip to the corner store for just a "little snack" has been removed, as well as that oh so tempting "just one more little bite".

I plan on upping my current 60 minute exercising to 90 minutes..alternating between jogging and walking when I can finally jog comfortably, and strength and weight training every other day. Only one day off a week from the cardio.

3. My current weight is 167lbs, and my goal weight by september 1 is 135 pounds, a weight I have not seen in 15 years. On a secondary note, my real goal is to hit 119 pounds by september 19th which will be my 23rd wedding anniversary, and the weight I was when I married. I think this might be stretching it, and I probably will not make it..but its something to shoot for. I figure the closer the better! I will weight in every day, since it keeps me focused, even when the number is now what I want to see.

4. I can talk/type enough for 10 people (just ask my husband). Participation is the easy thing.

5. I think tweaking is essential. Our bodies conspire against us I think..they get used to what we throw at them and become more efficient at handling it, so we have to tweak it up to confuse them. It's a love hate thing. lol

6. I am so real.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #11  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

1. Hmm. I don't have much to say about myself except that I gained weight by eating my stress and problems instead of letting go of worrying and actually doing something about my problems. I also need to exercise. I get up too early and don't sleep enough, so I never feel like doing any exercise. I'm going to work on getting more sleep this summer.

2. I start the South Beach diet almost three weeks ago and I plan on continuing that. I'm also working my way through The Beck Diet Solution.

3. Today I weigh 232. I've lost 10 pounds so far. I will be weighing everyday, but probably won't be posting my weight here everyday.

4. I teach and the end of the school year is always so stressful!! Grades, cleaning, trying to get books from students...... It just all adds up. It seems like the end is like some kind of train wreck.

5. Haven't needed any tweaking yet, but it's early days.

6. And now for the goal.... I would like to lose an average of 1.5 pounds each week. So by Sept. 1st that would be a loss of 22.5 pounds.

I think that about covers it!!

Frances
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #12  

Kris - I sure am glad to hear that someone doesn't have any trouble losing weight. I have absolutely NO will power what-so-ever...I have been trying to lose weight since I was 17 and weighed 170-180 and all I have done is gained up to 270...I'm at 263.4 now though so I guess that is a start.

Some good news and some motivation for me though....I'm going on a cruise with some girl friends of mine at the end of November....so hopefully that will give me incentive to lose it for good!

Frances - Hey there! I'm a teacher too! Well....I just graduated, and I'm job searching. I'm secondary Biology and Chemistry...but high school jobs are really hard to come by in these parts! Hope to see you around...good luck with the SBD...if your in week 3 then you should have the hardest part behind you.

Last edited by McKenziesmomma; 05-19-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #13  

Melissa, I'm a chemistry teacher. Good luck with the job hunt!! Some years it seems like there are just not enough teachers to go around, but other years (the ones with budget cuts) there aren't any jobs! Doesn't seem like there is ever a happy medium.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #14  

Frances - How neat that we are both into the same thing professionally! There is supposed to be a high school chemistry position come open here in my home town. The guy that does it is interviewing for the principal position....I'm hoping for that job....I have had one interview but it was an hour away from my house and they start out lower than anywhere I have ever heard...but they have some exciting stuff about to happen....that school is going to trimesters....the students will have 5 classes that are 70 minutes each...so as a teacher I would only have to teach 4 classes that are 70 minutes each and have one 70 minutes planning period....plus a 45 minute lunch....It sounds amazing...but they only start out at 31K a year....the schools closer to me start out around 32K plus...

Ugh...any suggestions? The administrators at the school I interviewed at seemed amazing...they really back their teachers!
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #15  

If you're offered the job and they have a reputation for backing teachers, I would take it. It is so hard to get that first job and the experience you will have is invaluable. It's also not that easy to step right into teaching chemistry. In most places, not everyone takes chemistry, so teaching chemistry is sometimes seen as something you "earn". (I've known plenty of people who taught chemistry so they didn't have to deal with as many of the behavior problem kids, not because they actually liked the subject!)

Good luck!