Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #1  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Sewing NSV

For several weeks, I haven't been well enough to go the clubhouse I've mentioned is normally part of my daily routine. So I hadn't been near a scale, since I usually weigh myself there. I have no idea if I've lost any poundage. But I can still report a major NSV that involves sewing.

I had been in the middle of making myself a black velvet skirt. I cut it almost three months ago, carefully fitting myself, but then found I couldn't see well enough to sew it. I needed new glasses, and it took a while to complete the process of getting them. I took the skirt back up today, started sewing on it, and when fitting, I quickly discovered that now I'm going to have to widen the seam allowances and take it in! For those of you who don't sew, that means make it smaller! The measurements I took three months ago are no longer accurate. And in the "right" direction too. I'm so happy.

I had taken to sewing new clothes myself because it's cheaper than buying them new and already made. Next time I'm going to think twice before buying shiny black velvet, however, since even with the new glasses I'm still having trouble seeing. Darker colors tend to be more difficult when you have vision problems.

When I get it finished, I'll ask hubby to take a picture of me wearing the skirt. OK?

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 05-21-2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: clarity
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/135/125

Height: 5'5.5

Sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. Pardon my ignorance, but what is NSV?
What a pleasant surprise to discover you have to take your skirt in! Can't wait to see those pics.
christinemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #3  
Mrs. Brady

NSV--non-scale victory. It means I see evidence of weight or inches lost without weighing myself.

Welcome to 3FC.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hooray....able to take in your skirt!! Wonderful.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/186/140

Height: 5'6

As someone else who sews, I understand this NSV perfectly well! I can't wait until I can start "dialing down" the measurements on my adjustable dress form!

Congrats!
KatehSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/135/125

Height: 5'5.5

Thanks!
christinemariep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #7  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Thats an awesome NSV! keep it up!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #8  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Yay Mrs Brady! You rock
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #9  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Congrats! I sew too. Love it! Makes it so easy to customize/taylor your clothes.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #10  
Mrs. Brady

And you can buy quality fabric and not pay near as much as you would for a ready-made garment of the same material.

It'll be nice when I'm not in the "larger size" section of the catalogue any more. There is more variety in the smaller sizes. I mean, dozens and dozens of pages of the "Misses" while there are maybe 8 or 10 pages of "Women's" if you're lucky. I can enlarge, but not more than one or two sizes.

For my black velvet skirt, I'm sewing it by hand because it's kind of a stretchy fabric. I'm not real skilled on a sewing machine and don't want to pull the pieces out of shape. As it is, I have to pin every inch or two to keep it lined up long enough to baste. I'll save practice on the machine for an easier fabric.

I knew I had to take it in when I basted the panels together, finished the back seam, lined it up against my spine, and brought the front around. The front seam reached all the way across the front and almost to the opposite hip. (When I had cut the pieces out, I carefully measured each panel with a tape measure and checked the total against my own body.) Yes, it will have an elastic waist, but I don't want it to hang like a tent from the hips. It's a simple six-gore, not a 1950's circle skirt.

But I definitely will think twice about choosing this fabric again. I can barely see to stitch, the stretch is a challenge, and velvet is wrong for a six-gore because you can't see the seams through the nap. It'll still be nice though. And it does feel good to have a knee-length (on me) skirt that isn't as wide as it is long.

Will scan the site and see if we have an area where we're talking about our sewing and other craft projects.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 05-16-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #11  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

i work as a seamstress

ever since i started losing weight ive been looking forward to making myself something when i get close to goal. i just started! im going to make an asymmetrical draped skirt in a white pinstripe fabric.. im thinking like right above the knee. maybe with a buckle to hold up part of the draping and make it shorter on one side. im super excited!!

sewing an entire skirt by hand? that's very ambitious of you! i wouldnt have the patience, lol.

if you want to use a machine for fabrics like that you want to use a ball point needle and nylon thread. maybe try loosening up the tension and pressure or using tissue paper. with those fabrics i always play around on scraps until i get it right.

Last edited by juliastl27; 05-16-2010 at 07:40 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #12  
Mrs. Brady

I usually sew by hand. I'm pretty skilled at it, but I'm not real good at sewing by machine. I have a hard time keeping the seams parallel. Am I maybe trying to go too fast? Or is it plain old hand-eye-foot coordination, seeing that I have not been able to learn to drive a car either? I do want to practice, but on an easier fabric until I can control it better.

I sewed my winter coat entirely by hand. A corduroy shell with smooth lining, filled with quilt batting. It was tough, it took me two weeks, and I had blisters on my fingertips. To do it, I simply took a pre-designed hoodie jacket pattern, added the lining and batting, and lengthened it to the knee instead of the hip. It weighs a ton, but it is a warm coat.

Another of my favorite projects is "Clara," a stuffed doll I made several years ago. I wish I could make her some siblings, but they've discontinued the pattern.

Last edited by LovebirdsFlying; 05-20-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #13  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

Congrats on that!
I wish I could sew... It's one of those things I've always wanted to learn to do, but I seriously doubt I have the patience. I always give up on stuff so quickly... >.<
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #14  
Mrs. Brady

I just finished the skirt. Just now.

Tried it on, and discovered that after I had taken it in by probably 2 or 3 inches....

It's still too loose on me!

I'm all stitched out for tonight. But at this point it's only a matter of tightening the elastic in the waistband. As long as the waist fits snugly, it's ok for the hips to be a bit roomy. It'll only take a few minutes to do that.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #15  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovebirdsFlying View Post
I usually sew by hand. I'm pretty skilled at it, but I'm not real good at sewing by machine. I have a hard time keeping the seams parallel. Am I maybe trying to go too fast? Or is it plain old hand-eye-foot coordination, seeing that I have not been able to learn to drive a car either? I do want to practice, but on an easier fabric until I can control it better.
if you have problems using a machine id definitely start out with a less fussy fabric. try some cotton or poplin. if you're having trouble keeping seams straight (and i assume you're using the guide) then you are probably going to fast for your level of skill on the machine. take it slow to begin with! there's nothing wrong with starting out very slowly. before you know it you'll be cranking along and making straight seams.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote