Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #1  
Kelly Renee

S/C/G: 210/201/160

Height: 5'7

Default I lost 5 lbs...know what mine says?

She says "Imagine what you could have lost if you had only exercised"...not good job or I'm proud of you...

I just wanted her to be proud of me...
FatChiconaMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Well, I am proud of you and I hope that YOU are proud of you! 5 pounds is a lot, and not easy to do.

Keep up the good work!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #3  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Hm . . . imagine what you could have gained if you hadn't done so well?

Good job!! We're all proud of you!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #4  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

I'm proud of you! 5 lbs ROCKS!! Go you!
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

Woooohoooo! 5lbs is alot! Great Job! I understand what you're going through. Just remember you're doing this for you.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #6  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Man, what a jerk! I had the exact same thing happen to me this week. I told a friend's mother that I had lost 8 lbs. and she said, "Well, those are the easy ones." Easy ones? I worked my butt off for those! Then she had the audacity to say, "But I don't mean to discourage you." As if she could!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 AM   #7  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I also lost 5 pounds this week! The conversation with my SO went like this:

Me: I lost 5 pounds!
Him: Did you play the lottery? hahahahahahahahahaha
Me: .....
him:
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 AM   #8  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

I hate people who make comments like that! Stupid stupid stupid... Some people just don't realize how much effort that can take!

We love you and are proud of you here though. Don't worry. We won't be jerks.

Last edited by ninepaw; 05-15-2010 at 04:34 AM.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 AM   #9  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Someone here posted that when people say things like this we should assume that they mean well, but that they just are ignorant. So think of it this way:

This person is trying to give me advice about exercise. They are trying to help me in the only way they know how. Even though it is not the kind of help I want (or need), I'm going to accept that they want to help me in this journey.

Why should you do this? Resentment toward them is not going to help you. Besides, you are losing the weight for you, right? Not to get a daily round of applause from an admiring throng of friends and relatives.

With that said, I wouldn't talk to this person about weightloss anymore. If they ask how things are going, just say something about how much better you feel now that you are losing weight.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #10  
Absent Minded

S/C/G: See ticker for details. :D

Height: 5'4"

*hmph* How rude.

Why can't close friends or family members be proud of us when we make an effort to take care of ourselves?

At least yours didn't tell you "Well I think you're dehydrated because you drink iced tea" and make you feel like garbage for not being able to drink plain water. I know she didn't mean to... But she did. And she also said "Well I think your aches and pains are because you're dehydrated, not because you hurt yourself" which also made me feel bad and made me think (only in passing, mind you, but still) that she thought I was lying about how I got these aches and pains in the first place. (This is a close friend whom I consider a sister. My mother died 5 years ago.)
MisfitRycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Some people just don't 'get it'. Sorry to hear about that comment. You did GREAT!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 05-15-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #12  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
This person is trying to give me advice about exercise. They are trying to help me in the only way they know how. Even though it is not the kind of help I want (or need), I'm going to accept that they want to help me in this journey.

Why should you do this? Resentment toward them is not going to help you. Besides, you are losing the weight for you, right? Not to get a daily round of applause from an admiring throng of friends and relatives.
I see where you and the previous poster you mentioned are coming from with this, but I disagree. I do think most people are kind hearted but ignorant of exercise and healthy eating habits or what it takes to live like this all the time. I also think there are a disproportionate amount of people who will absolutely sabotage your diet and make you feel worthless, either out of spite, jealousy or insecurity in your changes. And resenting them may be a negative emotion, but it does help me. That anger spurs me on when I am tired and want to get off the treadmill or have that piece of cake. Their blatant disrespect for my struggle or own insecurities ignites a fire under me to prove them wrong. I don't care if that's wrong. It works for me, and I bet I'm not the only one. And I don't need a "daily round of applause" from friends, but I sure as **** don't need a naysayer either.
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote