Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #1  

Default How to stay thin?

I have been dieting several years, tried everything from Atkins to Weight Watchers. What I have learned from the all the years there is no miracal cure to become thin, at the end it comes to eath healthy and exercise. Still strangeling with weight

I have been 5 years ago 268 pound, currently 191. I am six feet tall, so not a real big guy anymore but still need to lose some pounds to reach my goal of 154 pounds I was wondering how do you comite to stay healthy and fit after reaching final goal? That seems to be the hardest part at the end.
Samgerifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

You're right it is the hardest part and that's it, there is no end. IMO only when you can accept this as the truth will you be able to maintain. There's lots of help and advice on how to do this over in the Maintainers forum.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #3  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Honestly I think the best way to do it is to pick a plan (aka diet) that you can do long term as a lifestyle. For me that is calorie counting. I know that I will need to count and journal for the rest of my life. Sure once I get to my goal I will be able to increase my cals some or be a little less stringent on the weekends, but the nuts and bolts, the day to day life is not going to change. This includes an exercise routine that you can continue as well. If you want more cals that's going to mean more exercise. If you don't like to exercise then that's going to mean less cals. It's just finding that balance that works for you. I love calorie counting because if I *really* want something then I can have it, it just means I'm going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere else or pay the consequences. I think you'll find that the majority of the maintainers on this board practice some kind of calorie counting. It truely is a lifestyle change. So if you don't think your plan is something you can do forever I urge you to find one your can. It's just about commitment and accountablity. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #4  

You never go on a diet in the first place. WW is not a diet, it is behavioral modification resulting in lifestyle changes. There is no end and you can never ever go back to your old way of eating. You can eat a little more and have the occasional splurge and exercise is a must.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Come on and drop into the MAintaner's Forum. You will *meet* lots of folks who have lost a substantial amount of weight and have been keeping it off for YEARS. For me, I'm two months shy of maintaining my weight loss for three years.

And yes, when I DECIDED to lose the weight, I DECIDED to do it once and for all, no matter what and PERMANENTLY. Which meant changing how I ate FOREVER.

I don't necessarily find maintenance harder then losing, just longer. In many respects it's easier, as I know EXACTLY what needs to be done. I know what to eat, how to eat, why to eat, when to eat. I've found foods that I really enjoy. I know how to navigate social situations, stress, boredom, anger, etc... I've created a new normal for myself.

So no, there is no magic pill to keep it off - just the DECISION to. It's a choice. We choose to get fat, we choose to lose the weight, we choose to keep if off - just like we can choose to gain it back.

Luckily I ADORE my life as a slim, trim, healthy, fit, active person and I willingly and happily adhere to this healthy lifestyle. I find it no burden, no hardship, but a joy and a blessing.

Congrats on your weight loss and for keeping it off for 5 years. Seems to me that you really ARE living the lifestyle.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

6 feet is tall for 154 pounds! My fiancee is 6"3 and 145, he's borderline underweight. Though 3 inches can make a big difference on a BMI calculator, and those can't always be relied apon.

Do you mind if I ask how you came to that specific goal?
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I was wondering the same thing as Stephanie... my husband is 5'11.5" (don't forget that .5!) and hovers around 162.

I know he wouldn't want to be any thinner than he is... in fact, he likes to put on 15 lbs thru weightlifting when he has the time. At his height/weight, there's not an ounce of fat on him. (Yes, I'm a little jealous)
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote