Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Default Pedometers

I got a pedometer and today is the first day I'm wearing it. It seems like the general suggestion is to aim for 10,000 steps per day; well it's 11 am, all I've done is walk on the treadmill for 30 mins and then did a little shopping at Target (probably another 1/2 hour) and I'm already up over 5400 steps, plus I will be going to work this afternoon and I have an active job that keeps me on my feet for a better part of the day. I'm surprised how quickly they add up and now 10,000 doesn't seem like very much...

Do any of you wear a pedometer? What are your step goals?

Last edited by Bombe; 05-12-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

For a while I wore one and aimed for the 10,000 steps a day. Most days I would reach it. But I found for me, to reach 10,000 steps doing a work out - it was about 90 minutes of walking non-stop. It adds up quick if I was shopping or having a busy day. I also have desk job though - so most days I had to work to make sure I got the 10,000 in.

I actually have my pedometer battery in my pocket right now to get a new one and hope to start using it again! My main thing was I enjoy riding my exercise bike and that doesn't count for steps! lol

walkertracker.com is a fun site to keep track of your steps!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #3  

I'm not trying to steal this thread, but can either of you recommend a good pedometer? Where is the best place to wear it to get an accurate reading? I'm the person who tries out the free pediometer they give with opening a bank account that tells me I've take 400 steps from my bedroom to the bathroom... so I get a little discouraged. Thanks!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

This is the one I have and when I bought it late last summer it came highly recommended. It appears on a lot of lists when you google "best pedometer" - Omron HJ-112.

I like that it can be in a pocket or in a bag(purse) and still count steps. Sometimes I would put in my jeans pocket or in the pocket of my sweater and it always seemed very accurate. It counts steps as well as aerobic steps (if you continue to move for more then 10 min) - it shows distance and calories burned as well as 7 day history. I was really happy with mine. There is another model that can be plugged into the computer and it will upload date for you - but I found I liked that walkertracker.com website for that.

Last edited by sotypical; 05-12-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #5  

Well, yesterday I totaled 12,545 steps, that was 30 minutes on the treadmill and an average day at work/home. According to what I've been finding online above 12,000 is classified as "highly active." So why am I so unable to lose weight when I'm averaging only 1300 calories per day and apparently being quite active? FRUSTRATING!! I certainly don't feel "highly active" even though my job is a standing/walking job the majority of the time. Maybe I need to up my calories?

The pedometer seemed pretty accurate when I tested it by counting my steps and then looking at what it said. It overestimated by 1 or 2 steps sometimes but even if I rounded my number down to 12,000 steps I'm walking a lot. Info I found online said that the average adult only gets in around 4000 steps a day.

I realize this isn't an exact science but it's just not all adding up...

Last edited by Bombe; 05-13-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Bombe - if you are a highly active person and for you weight 1300 calories may not be enough. THere is tons of information on this site that suggests you should be eating more then that.

Someone linked this to me yesterday, you should check it out.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/1821967-post2.html
Old 05-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #7  

It's just so tough to overcome that subconscious voice in my head that says "the less calories the better." ARGH! Even when I've heard time and time again that sometimes you have to increase calories. *sigh*

I guess also it's tough for me to wrap my head around being "highly active." I don't feel like I'm highly active, I would say moderate at best. Maybe I'm just clueless, lol
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's tricky and goes against logic but at your height, weight, and level of activity you're not getting enough calories to support your body. I know it's frustrating but try adding a couple of hundred calories to your day and you'll see a difference.

I am a strong believe in the pedometer. I have the Omron as well and it never fails me. It doesn't work if you hold it in your hand or if it's laying flat. Best place is to clip it to your belt, put it in your pocket, or even keep it in your purse. I shoot for 10,000 per day and sometimes exceed it.

What I like best about it is that it makes me feel like I'm doing something about my weight all day long. I find excuses to take the long way to get places. I get off a subway stop early and walk the rest of the way, and I walk to the grocery store every morning. Every step counts!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

My goal is 10,000 steps also. But I really have to force myself to get them in. I reguraly get 3,000-5,000 steps because I have a pretty sedentary job. So when I have the podometer on, I can see that I'm not getting any walking in and it some times motivates me to take longer walks to places. Like the fartherst bathroom or walk to someone elses office or building instead of sending an email or something interoffice mail.

When I am consistant with my steps -over 10,000 each and everyday plus 3 x 30 minutes a weeek other exercise I lose weight pretty easily but then I get complacent and slowly get out of the habit. Yuck.
sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 05-13-2010 at 01:49 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 240/240/220

Height: 5'4

I just picked up a pedometer from Barnes and Noble. Odd I know but it's from Gaiam. I wore it yesterday when we took a walk and I wore it today while working out. I feel like I took more steps than it says I did but who knows! Right now I'm happy with it but that isn't saying I won't end up getting another one later on.
highflyer is offline   Reply With Quote