Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #1  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Talking I did my first 5K!!!!!!!

And the paramedics didn't have to help me across the finish line!!!!!

It was on Saturday and because the thunderstorms were so bad, they cancelled the race for the walkers. So my friend looks at me and says "We should sign up as runners, we didn't come all this way (1 hr drive) to not participate in this." I knew she was right so we signed up as runners. (insert my mental screams here!!!)

All I kept thinking about was what Bob said in a video I've watched a million times "If something scares the crap out of you and you're really unsure whether or not you should do it....chances are you should probably do it." So I did.

It was so hard and it took me about half of the race to find an actual pace to jog at. Which was SLOOOOOOW but it was faster than a walk and I felt comfortable. My friends were great and they did their own race and then came back for me "Biggest Loser" style and they cheered me on while I crossed the finish line. I had set a goal of wanting to complete it in 45 minutes and I completed it in 43!!!!!!!!! I truly cannot remember a time where I was this proud of myself. I still am. I actually set my mind to something and I DID IT!! I really wanted to cry. It felt so good.

Honestly, you guys, it was like a religious experience for me. I realized that I was so scared at the idea of running/jogging. I really faced a fear on Saturday and conquered it!!!! Once my legs stop hurting, I am going to start doing some interval training on the treadmill and am actually excited about it.

I feel that 3FC is a huge part of why I have stuck to eating right and working out so I wanted you all to share in my excitement!!! Thanks for all of your support, gang!!!!!! You guys mean a LOT to me!!!

Last edited by Vixsin; 05-10-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/206/125

Height: 5'3

You inspire me... I def am not a jogger/runner either.. not even the best of walkers... but you're right... if it scares the crap out of me, more the reason to do it.. and I am going to start getting on that treadmill more..

Thanks!
loveDC425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yay! Great job!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #4  
Happy and someday healthy

S/C/G: 255/246.5/170

Height: 5'8"

That's so awesome!!! I too have a goal of doing a 5K sometime this year...I think it's great that you went there totally intending to walk but then stepped it up and jogged! Great job!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you train? I feel like I'm starting out so slow with the walk/jog...it almost seems like I'll never get to the point where I jog without having to stop to walk. Any advice?
Staci816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #5  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Amazing. What an accomplishment. Congratulations!!!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #6  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

wow. great job!
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

That is soooo awesome! I was just thinking about this because last will be a year since I did my first race. I signed up for a 3k and it was the greatest feeling to finish. Then I signed up for a 5k and that feeling was even better and my first 10k was total bliss. The half marathon feels impossible, but two years ago a 3k seemed impossible.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #8  

congrats on the run! Even more congrats on facing your fear. I felt the same way after my first 5k - that I could do anything I put my mind to and nothing was impossible!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #9  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Awesome!!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #10  
Super Single Mom

Thanks everyone!!! I've already signed up for another race coming in June. This one is only a mile but my goal for this race is to be able to run/jog the entire thing without stopping.

Thank you for your kind words and support. I start my interval training on the treadmill tonight and I am so excited to do it. I never thought in a MILLION years that I would actually want to be a runner....and yet, here I am.

I look forward to all of the hard work this is going to take and I will be sure to keep all of you posted!!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #11  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Eeee well done!!!! I am full of excitement and dread all in one because my first 10km is on Sunday. I have never done any formal running, just treadmill intervals and a few 20-30 minute jogs outside. I can comfortably run 5km on the treadmill at a slow pace, but can't even begin to imagine what 10km outside will be like!!!

I have spent the last week umming and ahhing about whether I should do it or not and this thread has made me realise that I need to face the uncertainty and ULTIMATE FEAR of this challenge and just see how it goes.

I think the thing I am most worried about is that everyone else will finish in an hour and I'll still be there slogging away 40 minutes later!!!

I am still not 100% certain I will do it, but you have pushed me further towards answering yes.
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #12  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Wow! I can't imagine running without first knowing I was going to?! LOL! I don't know how you pulled out the courage to take that on? I'm doing C25K and can't imagine running a 5K YET.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #13  
Super Single Mom

Dayoneagain - DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! You CAN do it!!! If you can run a 5K, you can absolutely do a 10K!!! My only advice is to face your fear and relish the HUGE feelings of accomplishment you will inevitably have when you finish it. Set a realistic goal like to be able to complete it. You don't have to come in first place....just finish it. I got myself used to the idea that maybe I was going to finish last but I WAS GOING TO FINISH! You can do it!! I believe in you and I know that everyone here does too!!!!!!

I really hope that you do it and I hope you post and tell us how you did. I've got my fingers crossed for you!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #14  
Making Progress!

Haha, you have got me all excited now! I know I should do it. Perhaps I will come back to this thread everyday up til Sunday and read your post over and over.

It would be a huge achievement for me. I totally should do it!!! I'm so conflicted!! But I definitely want to choose the challenge over the fear!!!

You have inspired me!

Last edited by dayoneagain; 05-12-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #15  
Making Progress!

I'm just posting here to increase my level of accountability for tomorrow.

I'm supposed to be doing this 10km but I'm already so so nervous even thinking about doing it.

So hopefully by posting this it will make me more committed to going ahead and trying to do it tomorrow