General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 02:09 AM   #1  

Question

Has anyone tried any effective natural/herbal diet supplements? Particularly those containing citrimax, chitosan, or other fat and calorie 'blockers'?
Old 03-28-2001, 09:37 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Supplements - don't waste your money.

I'm sure that the majority of board members have tried, at one point or another, herbal supplements - after all, who could resist the claims made by the sellers and manufacturers of these products?

My personal opinion - after doing a lot of research on the subject - is that most, if not all, of the products out there are at best, a waste of your money, and at worst, downright dangerous! You can check some of the older threads in "Diet Plans" and "Fitness Scams" for more info.

When considering purchasing any of these products, you need to keep in mind that the distributors of them are completely unregulated by the government for the most part. They can make whatever claims they wish about their products.

Many companies have their own 'research' that supposedly 'proves' the effectiveness of their products - like I've said in previous threads, these studies are paid for by the companies to get the results they are looking for - even the tobacco industry has had studies done that show cigarette smoking is not harmful and does not cause cancer!

A valuable website to check is www.quackwatch.com - there are some good articles on herbal supplements and the companies that promote them!

Bottom line is - the only way to lose weight is through reducing calories through diet and expending through increased exercise. I know it's hard work but it is so worth it - anything worth having usually takes work.

Take care!
Old 03-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #3  

Hi...I new today to these boards...but just a quick warning...last year I tried "Stacker 3" and metabolife..etc..etc........got it from the nuitrition stores....who reccommended it.

If it has EPHEDRA or MAU HUang in it....you will curb your appetite.....but you may die from it...I became like a walking time bomb...slept only 3-4 hours a day..had heart palpatations........Don't take it.....I wanted a fast quick fix..but I almost killed myself and my marriage.

These"so called natural" ingredients ...are not FDA approved...

Good luck......
Old 03-29-2001, 03:50 PM   #4  

Default Thanks

Thank you for your responses so far. Yes, I agree that mahuang and ephedra are very dangerous. Tried them once, had a very bad reaction, and will never take any products containing those ingredients again. Has anyone tried citrimax? I have tried it on and off and am not sure if it really helped. I have tried chitosan, but have had abdominal cramps and diarrhea? I do watch my diet carefully, but still have trouble getting the last 15-20 pounds off. I am now at an average of 1250 calories/day and am losing less than a 1/2 pound per week. Cutting back any more on my calorie intake feels next to impossible. So I am looking for all of the extra help I can get.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:57 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Slow weight loss

I've said this so many times but it bears repeating - slow weight loss is a GOOD THING! Especially when you don't have a lot to lose.

Citrimax is in a lot of products out there -- I don't know if it really affects weight loss that much. I posted a link on a thread in the Fitness Scams board, but I'll post it here as well:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...uppsherbs.html

Try increasing your exercise - add some strength training - and instead of judging by the scale, take your measurements - the numbers on the scale aren't everything! I weigh 157 now and am a size 8/10 - according to the garment industry, at 5'4" I should be wearing size 12-14. At my personal best weight of 145, I am a very baggy 8!
Closed Thread