View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #99
pitakitten

S/C/G: 135/131/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdadozer View Post
I'm not the resident coach but I can tell you what my coach told me is that aspartame in studies has actually been known to stimulate hunger while Splenda (sucralose) does not reach the brain for the same triggers. Now if she is right or not I'll never know. She also sent me the below information when I asked her.

ASPARTAME AND SACCHARIN IN WEIGHT LOSS
The brain has a conditioned response in reaction to something that is sweet.
It is called "cephalic phase response".
This response is established as a result of a life long experience with sugar, and the body's perception of the arrival of new energy (sugar).
When the taste of an artificial sweetener such as aspartame stimulates the tongue, the brain programs the liver to prepare for the arrival of new energy (sugar) from outside.
The liver, in turn, stops the manufacture of starch and protein from reserves in the body, and instead begins to store the glucose (energy) that is circulating in the blood stream.
Foods having a sweet taste without the accompanying calories (sugar-free usually = low calories) stimulate the taste buds, creating an urge to eat and thus overeat.
It is the liver that produces the signals and the urge to eat. The cephalic phase response triggers the release of insulin, which stores sugar in the blood stream.
This creates low blood sugar, which leads to the development of increased cravings and appetite.
Studies have shown that this urge to eat more food after using artificial sweeteners such as aspartame can last up to 90 minutes after the meal or snack.
It has been shown that the brain retains the urge to eat for a long time, when the taste buds for sugar are stimulated, without any sugar having entered the system.
The sweet taste of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame will cause the brain to program the liver to store supplies rather than release supplies from its storage.
This may be the reason why individuals who use diet soda for weight loss may suffer the need for repeated stimulation of the taste buds with sugar stimulation.
so does this all mean that we are not to have any thing that has a sweet taste? most of the IP food actually has a sweet taste (not aspartame) but whatever it is, they are sweetened with something.