Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #1  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Default Veggies and Travel

I'm going on a trip in two weeks and want to eat healthy. I can find healthy-ish foods at convenience stores, but not veggies. I may be able to find grocery/produce stores on the trip, but that's not certain. I want to pack some veggies, just in case. It's an 8 day trip & sometimes I'll have access to refrigeration and some days not.

I don't care if I eat wilted veggies, but not spoiled ones. I want to avoid dried vegetables or veggie chips. I want the real kind.

Any tips?

motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Is it a road trip? I can't imagine going on a trip and not being able to find veggies. Where are you going?

Also, will you be cooking? How will you be cooking? Or are you looking for raw veggies?

I've gone camping and sometimes fresh veggies don't do well with heat and travel and don't do well with cold either (in the ice chest). If you are going on a road trip, you could try taking a cooler and not put anything in it other than veggies. That might be your best bet to keep things fresh.

Some veggies travel very well like corn and other things like greens may not. If you plan to cook, you could take things like canned tomatoes. I otherwise don't like canned veggies so not sure I'd recommend other canned veggies (maybe artichoke hearts?)

Anyway, my recommendation would vary based on where you are going, how you are traveling and how you plan to eat.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #3  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Nelie

Here's the answer to your questions. Sorry, the post is kind of long.

I am traveling from Philly to Chicago & Detroit via Amtrak (I have a flying phobia) & will be on the go the entire trip. I am going to a dance music festival. At the festival, I will be listening to music and dancing for 16 hours a day (if I can hold up).

I will not cook for the entire time. And will have no access to a car- travel is by foot & subway. It's a varied, chaotic schedule. Here's my itinerary:

Day 1: Amtrak for 20+ hours

Day 2 & 3: Staying with friends in Chicago (easy to eat normal there)

Day 4: 5 hours on Amtrak to Detroit, then hotel nap for 2 hours, then dancing at a nightclub party for 6 hours (that would be a good day to have packed food)

Day 5, 6, 7: 10 hours at an outdoor festival, 2 hour nap at hotel, 6 hours nightclub dancing. (These will be my worst eating days)

Day 8: Collapse on Amtrak's 20 hour trip back to Philly.

I think I will not have a problem getting most foods while I travel. But I am used to eating a lot of vegetables and am worried about GI distress if I don't have veggies. I was thinking that broccoli, cauliflower, grape tomatoes, and cabbage would travel well. My plan was to bring and eat veggies on the trip. And buy some more while in Chicago. But I won't have a moment of time to get produce in Detroit.

I know what "food" they serve in music festivals- hot dogs, pizza, burgers, fries, funnel cake & beer. Nowadays vegetarianism is more accepted, so maybe they'll have a falafel stand.

Doing this trip and eating healthy will be an adventure. I can't wait
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well I think one advantage is that you'll be on an air conditioned train so whatever veggies you bring will probably stay fresh longer.

Grape tomatoes generally good without refrigeration as does cauliflower and broccoli doesn't do too badly. Cabbage probably wouldn't do too badly either.

I wish you luck, sounds like a busy trip
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Chickie-Tomatoes actually lose flavor if refrigerated. I keep my Cherubs on the kitchen cabinet, in the container they came in, after rinsing. They do fine for several days. I would think celery sticks (possibly stored in a bit of water or a damp towel) and prepackaged baby carrots would do well w/o refrigeration if they didn't get too warm. I'd think the same for green pepper slices. Maybe in a thermal lunch bag type thing with an ice pack? I buy pre-washed packs of sugar snap peas here and I bet they would store well, too.

Good for you for thinking ahead about eating healthy. This is giving me ideas for my possible summer trip with my sons. Good luck and ENJOY!! Strut your stuff, girl!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #6  

I agree on the tomatoes- a super food that travels well. Whole carrots can be without refrigeration. They may dry out a bit, just give them a soak in cool water. A can of beans, a can of green beans and mustard purloined from a fast food stand can be a filling meal even without heating. Also on the GI issue- staying super hydrated will do a long way in that regard. Good luck!
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

How about bags of mini carrots, peas that you eat the whole pod, both are quite portable and delish for when I am on the go, they travel well. I also love water chestnuts in a can, if you have a can opener to use en route somewhere's? Mini ears of corn canned also are delish as are olives for some good fat!

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 05-12-2010 at 10:35 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote