Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Default Insulin Resistant

My Doctor told me Type II Diabetics are Insulin Resistant,so I'm wondering if following an IR Diet like the one below will help me to lower my BS and get my excellent A1C back.

http://www.heartlandnaturopathic.com/sampleirdiet.htm
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

this is similar to many low carb diets, and I think could be helpful for you.
Without metformin, I was able to totally control my sugars if I kept my daily carb count to less than 25 g. With the metformin I have gone to about 30 g per day, I can go over and still keep my sugars ok, but I don't lose weight unless I keep it under 30 g per day. Its working well for me. HOpe you can do it.
If you find you can't stick to the plan due to cravings, try reducing carbs slowly, first to 100g/day for a week, and keep reducing til you are loosing weight and getting your sugars into good numbers.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I read an amazing book called the Insulin Resistant Diet. It was similar, but the focus was really on the balance of protein to carbs. It was very simple (which I really need!).

Basically, it's three steps:

1. you have to "link" any carb you eat to a protein. Don't eat carbs alone.

2. you have to "balance" each serving of protein (7 grams) with a serving of carb (15 grams)

3. Don't eat more than 30 grams (two servings) of carb in any two-hour period (you can eat more protein if you're still hungry, but not more carb)

Everything else is window-dressing. Eat veggies, exercise, choose whole grains if you're going to eat grains as your carbs, etc. But the basic rule of linking and balancing is the core of the plan.

It really helped me see how the carbs I eat affect my BG. And it's simple and flexible.

Last edited by synger; 05-11-2010 at 11:16 AM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 AM   #4  
Woman on mission!

Fatmad,
I enjoy preparing and eating Healthy Foods/Snacks.I really like the 1 Day sample Meal Plan provided in the link of my original post.I managed to lower (on my own) my BS and A1C through Diet,Exercise,staying active and busy.Money has been the key problem for me for so long.I'm finally getting my Finances straight,so I can begin eating Healthy again.Also,if I get accepted into Nursing School,I intend to Work out (for free) 3 Day's per Week at a Fitness Center located nearby the Campus.This really excites me!I've learned a few Foods,Beverages and Condiments that affect my BS.One that stands out is,Non-Dairy Creamer in my Decaf Coffee.

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 05-14-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #5  
Woman on mission!

Synger,
Thank you for mentioning the Book.I will look into buying..

Question..We get Carbs from Vegetables~right?I try to veer away from Starchy Vegetables.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Yes, carbs are found in fruits and veggies, but more predominantly from grains and beans. Some of the starchier veggies are beans, squashes, potatoes, and corn. Some folks find that they have to avoid all of those, and even some of the mid-range ones like tomatoes and and onions carrots, and stick only with green leafies. YMMV.

Personally, so long as I measure the starchier veg (I can tolerate half a cup), I don't worry so much about the others. It all depends on what your meter says after you eat something.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #7  
Woman on mission!

Synger,
Ever once in awhile I make Homemade Hummus,so use dried Organic Chickpeas.I *try* staying away from all Potatoes (I miss baked Sweet Potatoes!),Corn,Carrots or other Root Vegetables.I do eat a variety of Beans for the Fiber and Protein (my Protein level is normal).I found that following an Anti-Fungal Diet which eliminates all forms of Sugar,White Flour,Grains,Pasta,Rice,Potatoes.,etc worked for me.