Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/240/180

Height: 5'6

Default cost of ideal protien diet??

Hi there, while browsing around on here, I came across the ideal protien diet, and am very suprprised by the weight loss, and great success so many people have had(congrtas to all that have, and are continuing to lose weight!)very inspirational! I have never heard of this diet before.
Anyway, I was curious, is it very expensive? would I need to look for a clinic that offered this in my area? Could it be done on my own?
Also, is similar to atkins?
Sorry to just shoot off all those questions, but unfortunatley, as I simply sit and browse on this wonderful site, I continue to gain weight, looking for something that might get the scale moving downwards, so I can get motivated. too slow of weight loss makes me give up. its such a battle and I have sooo much to loose.
thanks for any info
rainyinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245.6/229.5/160

Hi rainy! If you do IP through a clinic it can get expensive. I really wanted to do this diet (thanks to the success stories on this site) and didn't want to spend so much money. So I logged on to idealtogo.com and let them know I was interested in getting started on this and got an email stating there's a $25 sing on fee but they waive that so don't let it fool you.
Once you are signed up they send you all the info you need. Plus you can email your coach any time you have a question. The packets on their website are pretty pricey so I ordered off of lindora.com and got everything so much cheaper. I have only been on this diet for 5 days and I've lost 8 lbs!
Just make sure you don't get anything that has apsartame in it.

Hope this helps you some. And the people on this site actually help me way more than my coach does. They are all very knowledgable and very sweet!
penguin0199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 226.4/166.5/160

Height: 5'3

Check out the IP Alternative Phase I thread, excellent advice for those who are following the IP protocol using less expensive products and having success. Hope this helps.
Tuesday925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261.8/201.6/185

Height: 5'4.5

I believe if you follow the IP diet protocol it is about 90 per week plus the cost of your veggies, about 4 cups per day as well as one 5 oz portion of lean meat per day. I think I was told by another person that she figured it to be about $130 - $140 per week. I sub with alternative products and save money, but find that those who do not sub lose weight faster. I think it is probably good to do through a clinic or at least clue your doc in to be monitored some how. If you try it, be ready, it is not always the easiest, but it is amazing and I think we learn a lot about our eating habits on this. Good Luck. Read through the FAQ page and some of the sticky's to get more info. Also, it really helped me to read through all the posts back to Oct. I think to get a good idea what it is all about. It would probably be good to do that now as many of the new people questions have been answered over and over in the older posts. Everyone on here is so helpful and supportive!
motiv8edmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #5  

I just noticed, you and I have very similar start and goal weights!! I started in Feb so see what you could do in two months!! I do muscle training so if you don't, you would probably loose faster than me!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #6  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motiv8edmama View Post
I just noticed, you and I have very similar start and goal weights!! I started in Feb so see what you could do in two months!! I do muscle training so if you don't, you would probably loose faster than me!
Actually I believe the muscle training is helping you to burn more fat... just FYI. As long as you keep your heart rate down you are fine. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat BUT it BURNS fat... so it works that way too. Watch your inch loss more than the scale, I bet you it shows GREAT progress
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/229/160

Height: 5' 5"

I paid $1300.00 for the first 3 months and after that I will pay $90.00/week.
The Dalai Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262/240/180

THANK YOU all so very much for all your info! wow! it really is kinda costly!
Maybe I will try to do it on my own, with supplements, and the help of this place. I cant afford to go to a clinic.
I was just very amazed at the results people have had doing ideal protein. so quickly many have lost pounds, and inches. truly a inspiration!
motiv8edmama, we are so very close to starting weight!!
rainyinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deinekatze View Post
Actually I believe the muscle training is helping you to burn more fat... just FYI. As long as you keep your heart rate down you are fine. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat BUT it BURNS fat... so it works that way too. Watch your inch loss more than the scale, I bet you it shows GREAT progress

That's why I like you, you always have good information! I wish I knew how many inches I have lost. Honestly my food journal had all my measurements and I can not find it anywhere, I have turned my house, car and everything else upside down looking for it. It is in stealth mode and is hiding from me! I can't wait for it to turn up out of the blue. I am not eliminating the idea that one of my little ladies has it hidden from me, I once found one of my books hidden in their magic kitchen, they are so ornery. My trainer keeps measurements so I think I'll have him check them for me next week, thanks for reminding me!

Last edited by motiv8edmama; 05-05-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #10  

Thumbs up i agree but try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyinflorida View Post
Maybe I will try to do it on my own, with supplements, and the help of this place. I cant afford to go to a clinic.
I was just very amazed at the results people have had doing ideal protein. so quickly many have lost pounds, and inches. truly a inspiration!

i too cant afford the ip diet.i went to a book store one day and was in the oh too familar diet section.when a woman next to me also looking told me to try the carbohydrate addicts diet.its been around for many years.she said she lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks. well i heard of the diet so i bought the book.and its amazing.normal foods.and i love it. i am never hungry.ive stuck to the plan since march and have lost 10 llbs . the best part is no exercise is required!
but do it anyways cause it works with or without exercise.
everyone is different. one diet might not work for another.its worth a try.
i can still eat the carbs i love!
purrfect sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/184/157

Height: 5' 10"

Rainyinflorida, you don't need to use the IP products to do the IP diet. I lost 22 lbs in my first month on the plan without using their products. Heck, even the diet's originator says that you can use protein powder instead of food packets.

- 1 protein packet (protein packets generally contain between 15 and 20 g of protein).
- OR 1 measure of protein. This option is by far the most economical if you purchase a large container of protein

Read the book so you understand clearly how the diet works. Join in the IP community on this message board -- read and post so you gain good information and support. Buy and take all necessarily supplements (Any brand is fine. Just get stuff similar to the IP supplements.) Follow the diet's guidelines using protein powder instead of IP packets (about $.70 per serving instead of $4.00 per serving) and you'll do just fine.
Birman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #12  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I will say, the girls at work are using alternative products, and really like the Syntrax Nectar brand of protein (whey protein isolate). It really does taste good, and is totally protein - no carbs or fats at all!
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 260/243/165 Started IP 6/21/10

Height: 5'9

Default Brand New to IP

Hello Everyone! I just signed up for IP will am so looking forward to starting Monday! I've heard great things about this program and love all the advice! Can't wait to start posting some lbs lost!
dawn5419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

To all the new "voices" on the forum!!

Quote:
Hi there, while browsing around on here, I came across the ideal protien diet, and am very suprprised by the weight loss, and great success so many people have had(congrtas to all that have, and are continuing to lose weight!)very inspirational! I have never heard of this diet before.
Anyway, I was curious, is it very expensive? would I need to look for a clinic that offered this in my area? Could it be done on my own?
Also, is similar to atkins?
Sorry to just shoot off all those questions, but unfortunatley, as I simply sit and browse on this wonderful site, I continue to gain weight, looking for something that might get the scale moving downwards, so I can get motivated. too slow of weight loss makes me give up. its such a battle and I have sooo much to loose.
thanks for any info
Hi Rainy!!

This diet is AMAZING!!! I started IP Thanksgiving week, after having lost 14 pounds in 12 weeks doing it on my own. I am mildly hypothyroid and hadn't been able to successfully lose weight in years. I went into this with the idea if I could just lose 1 pound a week every week it would be worth it (a year is 52 pounds) because it was more than I was accomplishing trying anything else. (I already had gone the exercise/trainer route and that failed to produce weight loss. I had tried lots of other low carb diets and although they worked a little, I could never get past the first plateau I would hit about 25 pounds down.) I did this strictly, religiously, and well planned/prepared EVERYDAY. My reward.... I lost an average of 4 pounds a week the first 10 weeks. I then started to trend down around 2.5 pounds per week the next 8 weeks. I am now at week 32, I have lost a total of 86 pounds, 72 of which are due to using Ideal Protein. I have NEVER had a no weight loss week and have lost inches every week. I have gone from a size 20 in November to a size 10/8 today. I have lost a total of 75.50 inches JUST on Ideal Protein. ( I wasn't tracking inches before so I am not sure where I really started.) I stopped being as "strict" and "prepared" a little while back and, my losses, aren't as great. I am still very happy with the results and FEEL great! It has corrected my "constant hunger", body aches, acid reflux issues, brain fog, and reduced my tinnitus (ear ringing). My blood work has been done by Dr. every 6 weeks and it just keeps getting better AND, I had very good blood work to begin!

You can look for a clinic in your area or do Ideal to Go. Some of the people on here follow Dr Tran Tien Chanh's website guidelines and do the diet on there own. You will find lots of support for the alternative approach here!

If you choose to do this on your own, I suggest you see a Dr first and confirm you are in good health, electrolytes (potassium, magnesium, sodium in good levels as these are highly effected in this diet), that you don't have any borderline or undiagnosed diabetes, and the kidney and liver functions are healthy. This diet is not recommended for use by anyone with liver or kidney disorders and persons with diabetes are supposed to use an alternate approach to the weight loss phase.

This diet was designed to not only produce weight loss but to correct the unhealthy functions of the pancreas. It "resets" the pancreas and will correct, for those who have it, hyperinsulinemia, metabolic X, and other related issues. The results of the diet are seen in changes to cholesterol, blood pressure, GERD/Refllux, hormone imbalances, blood sugar issues, and so much more. The changes happen quickly and can be measured in blood work as quickly as 10 days into the diet for some persons. Women typically, on average lose 3 to 5 pounds a week. Men will lose more, 5 to 7 pounds a week on average.

It is similar to Atkins only in that it removes carbohydrates. Atkins originally focused on whole protein sources instead of packets or processed proteins. Both can use proteins of either source. Atkins offers more fat in the diet than Ideal Protein. Atkins offers more carbs than Ideal Protein. BOTH have a restricted induction phase. Both have a 4 phase program and end in a lifestyle maintenance phase.

I think you would have great success on this program! I am a huge advocate for this diet and truly believe it does what other plans do not. I really do believe, if you follow this to completion, it will allow you to maintain the weight loss long term and provide you with a better understand of how your body processes food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birman View Post
Rainyinflorida, you don't need to use the IP products to do the IP diet. I lost 22 lbs in my first month on the plan without using their products. Heck, even the diet's originator says that you can use protein powder instead of food packets.

- 1 protein packet (protein packets generally contain between 15 and 20 g of protein).
- OR 1 measure of protein. This option is by far the most economical if you purchase a large container of protein

Read the book so you understand clearly how the diet works. Join in the IP community on this message board -- read and post so you gain good information and support. Buy and take all necessarily supplements (Any brand is fine. Just get stuff similar to the IP supplements.) Follow the diet's guidelines using protein powder instead of IP packets (about $.70 per serving instead of $4.00 per serving) and you'll do just fine.
Hey Birman!! Nice to see you! You really do have such great advice for the person trying the alternate approach! We've missed you lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn5419 View Post
Hello Everyone! I just signed up for IP will am so looking forward to starting Monday! I've heard great things about this program and love all the advice! Can't wait to start posting some lbs lost!
HEY DAWN!!! So good to see you here! I was going to message you about this board, couldn't remember if I gave you the link, anyway!! Here you are! I can't wait to see all your success! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS! The forum is AMAZING! You will get to know some of the most intelligent, passionate, caring, supportive people (women and a few men too!). Jump in, contribute, ask questions.... this is really a great place with lots of good advice and experience. ALSO, read the recipes! They really help especially after week 3!
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #15  

Default alternatives

Quote:
Hi Rainy,
I second showgirl is you start anything make sure you are in good health (no kidney dysfunction, electrolyte levels balanced etc). Try to follow the guidelines of seperating your fats and carbs at mealtimes, consume low glycemic foods, use a good quality protein replacement shake for one meal usually morning, if not consume protein meal. Don't consume more than one carb meal a day and track everything you eat. Cut out refined sugars and processed foods. Consume plenty of water at least 64oz.

Good luck with your goal
dietertoo is offline   Reply With Quote