Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 AM   #1  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Default What do you use as motivational tools?

What you all use as motivational tools to help you lose that 1 pound or 2 pounds per week?

I've got a sticky note on my desktop (sticky notes is a great computer application) that says:
24 pounds and 28 weeks to go!
My goal is 150 pounds by 20 November 2010. Erase 1 "1" every time a pound is lost:

To put everything in kilograms is difficult with this type of tool- each 1 would represent 1kg, rather than a pound. On average, it takes me 10 days to lose 1kg (2.2 pounds). It takes me about 4-5 to lose 1 pound. Each "1" helps me visualise what I would like to lose.

I also have a sticky note that says
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
And don't ever forget it.

It reminds me to believe and know that I am beautiful just for being me and I don't have to pretend I'm someone I'm not to get attention.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/121/118

Height: 5'4

I use Wii Fit to weigh myself, and I have all my thin friends on there, and sometimes I secretly look at their weights as a goal, hah ha! But the Wii Fit graph motivates me, as does the graph I have for my weight on FoodFocus. Then on FoodFocus, every day when it tots up your calories, it gives you an estimate of how much weight you could have lost that day (like .18lb or whatever) and I love adding those up until I should have lost 1lb, then jumping on the scales (and it's usually right! LIKE TODAY, YAY!).

I also like my ticker on here, that's pretty fun, but it's also very new to me, so it hasn't been motivating me since I started losing weight after Halloween.

When it comes to exercise, I can only get motivated by long structures of exercise, like having the six week challenge on EA Sports or the 30 Day Shred or whatever. I do do unstructured stuff like exercise biking or walking, but as a whole, unless I am aiming towards a target of so many sessions, I find myself not doing it properly. I need an end goal.

As for general motivation, my goal is lose weight for my wedding in August, and subsequent honeymoon in the Caribbean. I've half-heartedly lost weight before but this set in stone deadline is really the only thing that's ever kept me on track. If I wasn't getting married this year, I know I wouldn't be losing this weight. I always promised myself I would get thin for my wedding, and that's a promise I'm totally determined to keep.
Belease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #3  
Finally doing something!

S/C/G: 223/180.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I keep an excel spreadsheet that shows how much I would weigh if I lost 2 pounds a week. Every week I update it with my actual weight and it motivates me to stay on track.

My upcoming trip to Dominican Republic is a strong motivation because I want to be comfortable and where lite summer clothes.

Last edited by Caro0811; 05-04-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Caro0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/141

Height: 5'2"

I have a paper chain (like the ones you made in elementary school to countdown to Christmas! lol) hanging on the wall in my bedroom with each weight written in a link. As I lose I take one off (on weekly weigh in, not every day) Its been SO EXCITING for me to watch that chain getting shorter and shorter!!
sarahtmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8

that is a great idea with a chain!
journey0f60lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #6  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

Sarah-- Weight Chain! I love that idea!! very symbolic...

Mollz- "You are beautiful" is a great mantra to read daily!!

* I like positive mantras.
* I like seeing people out on the trail running, we pass each other & smile- that really pumps me up.
* The face on my trainer when my physical therapy time (knee surgery) was up-- she looked so worried... I wanna make her say WOW (well, it's more for me.)
* When I'm running, and I start feeling wimpy, I say to myself "YOU can do ANYTHING for just 10 more seconds!!" and I push through it.
* My patients inspire me. Had a lady swim two laps just like a professional swimmer... She is in her 90's and walks with a WALKER!! wowzer.

Last edited by Veil; 05-04-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #7  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

I plan on starting the post-it notes to myself, I think it is something that will really help me.

I also have the Bodybugg. While I don't track food really, I do find it very helpful with trying to keep my activity up. Since I only burn like 1 calorie a minute when I'm sitting down, anytime I do sit down I almost automatically think that I should just go do something and burn some calories. I have a display for it so I can check where I am throughout the day and if I'm low on burn or steps it motivates me to go do some exercise!!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/141

Height: 5'2"

I used to put notes on the fridge telling me to ask myself if I was really hungry, since one of my favorite activities is standing with the door open to the fridge and looking for.. something..
sarahtmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Height: 5'9"

I can kick my own butt pretty good, but when I need motivation it's The Biggest Loser that usually does it. For me to see people who are so unhealthy take control of their lives and turn them around on national TV, the accomplishments and the falls off the equiment, via Bob and Jillians butt kicking workouts says to me "if they can do THAT, I can push just little more"

THen of course there's the promise of new and cute clothes for the new body!

Last edited by Violin Jenn; 05-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Sarah- I LOVE the paper chain idea!! I will use it.

My biggest motivations are my GWF (BodyBugg), listening to free podcasts of Jillian Michaels' old radio show, and coming on 3FC! I also am motivated by making my wii fit mii smaller and my ticker. I would also really like to learn how to run, so I set a goal to join a running group by the end of this month.

But now that you guys mention it, I think hanging a "Goal" outfit in front of my work station would really work for me. Plus, I am close to 200lbs with a practically negative A cup, I really want to get some (ahem) surgery once I hit my goal. Maybe I can find some sort of picture that will remind me of this goal that I can actually hang in my work station without getting in trouble!! Ha ha that would totally work for me.

Thanks girls you all have my support!!
nicolejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/149/135

There are some great ideas here!
I find looking at others' before and after photos really motivate me.

I took before pics of myself two weeks ago (in my bra and underwear) and knowing that those pics are on the camera motivate me. I'd hate to have those before pics without subsequent (better, fitter) pictures to compare them to.
Fit Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #12  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

I usually just give myself a pep-talk in my head..."come on Jen! It's just 30 more seconds...you can do ANYTHING for only 30 seconds...you were in labor for 38 hours...this is NOTHING!" Stuff like that.

I'm also motivated by the fact that my 60 year old father can still out run me. I want to be that postive role model for my own kids.

I too like to watch the Biggest Loser. I love listening to Bob and Jillian and watching the transformations. If they can keep running, I sure as heck should be able to.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 148/132.5/125

Height: 5'3

My family plans to go to the beach in early August, and if I lose 1lb a week until then, I will make goal. I have a picture of a really cute binkini on my fridge, so everytime I go there out of boredom, I am reminded why I must stay away!lol
RynKay is offline   Reply With Quote