Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Yogurt - boy do I feel silly...

When I was a kid we had a frozen yogurt stand not too far from our house. I swear I can still taste the tart, slightly sweet goodness they used to serve up.

Over the years every time I tried either frozen yogurt or yogurt cups I was dissatisfied. Where was that tart goodness of my youth? Was it the imperfect memory of a child damaged by time?

This year I tried plain yogurt and I found my old friend. PLAIN YOGURT. I realized that all those sugars, sweeteners, and other flavors food processors have been dumping into yogurt has been covering up that beautiful tart flavor. Now I eat my plain yogurt with some fruit or just a touch of honey, agave syrup, or splenda.

I sure feel silly. The answer was under my nose the whole time!

Not only to me does it taste better I get more my caloric bang for my buck! Those little tubs of diet yogurt are about 100 calories. Today I made almost two cups of fruit and yogurt that was 130 calories. I'm never full with those little quasi-yogurt tubs, but this was too much for me as a side!

Unfortunately, I don't think frozen yogurt is going to be as easy for me to make but I'm sure going to try. I haven't found one frozen yogurt in my area from a store, stand, or restaurant that is as good as that of my youth.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I too LOVE plain yogurt!! My favorite way to enjoy it is with slightly defrosted frozen cherries, and a drizzle of agave nectar on top! Soooooo good and satisfying!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I LOVE plain yogurt. My favorite is the kind made by Mountain High brand. It has a rich and tangy flavor and a thick and cream texture, even the low fat version. Every once in a while, when I'm craving chocolate, I stir one of the 25 calorie hot cocoa mixes into some yogurt and it tastes like chocolate cheesecake. I bet it would be amazing with strawberries or blueberries. Plain or with the cocoa mix. I'm not sure if a person could just freeze it, but I bet you could. Even whirl some fruit in the blender, mix it up and freeze, then eat that way. I'll have to give it a try!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

great tip with the cocoa mix!
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #5  

Barb - I've never had Mountain High yogurt but it sounds dreamy! I love thick, creamy yogurt. I thought about straining some plain yogurt for a better consistency but just buying it thick sounds even better!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I found plain greek yogurt, which I eat with a little honey and blueberries. It's also amazing and great protein. I also get a lot for my caloric buck.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #7  

Chemist - I need to try greek yogurt again. I know that others have raved about it because of more protein and nutrients than regular yogurt. In a taste test I think I like regular yogurt better, but it may have just been the brand I tried too!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #8  
I've lost over 15 pounds!

S/C/G: 242/225.5/170

Height: 5' 6"

Renwomin--google ziploc bag ice cream. You can make it with yogurt, thinned with a little skim milk if needed. I've made it with pre-sweetened yogurt. You could flavor and sweeten to taste. Don't try chocolate. It keeps it from freezing.

It's super easy. All you need (besides the yogurt) is ice, salt, and ziploc bags.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
Renwomin--google ziploc bag ice cream. You can make it with yogurt, thinned with a little skim milk if needed. I've made it with pre-sweetened yogurt. You could flavor and sweeten to taste. Don't try chocolate. It keeps it from freezing.

It's super easy. All you need (besides the yogurt) is ice, salt, and ziploc bags.
Thank you! Thank you!