Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #1  

Default Weight loss mess! Advice needed...

Here's my story...
In October 2009 I was tipping the scales at 149lbs. I know for some it doesn't seem like much but for someone like me who's 4'11"(yes that's not even 5ft tall), it's a lot! I knew I had to take action so my mom and I started the Weight Watchers programs. In March 2010, I'd lost 30lbs on Weight Watchers. I decided to stop attending the meetings&such because I thought I could do it on my own. Turns out I couldn't. It's May 2010 and all I've done is gain 3lbs. I weighed myself today and was shocked to see 122! I'm again going to take action but now the question is, do I resume Weight Watchers or should I try Calorie Counting? The thing is with Weight Watchers, I'm only allowed 18pts... That's pretty tough to stick to! If I start counting calories I'll be working with a calorie intake of 1200cals a day, which is much more than before ! But my question is, what about the fats? That isn't taken into account when counting calories. I mean, a McChicken doesn't seem like a big deal when it has 360 calories but 8points, that's a lot for someone who only has 18!!!! I don't know, what do you guys think? Any help will be appreciated
Nat616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Maybe ask over in the WW forum on 3FC!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers-18/

I don't really know the latest WW system--but 18 points seems too low to me. Are you sure that's all you're allowed?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would think, not certain as WW was never my thing, that 18 points is 1200 calories when you factor in that some foods that they are deeming 1 point could be up to 100 calories if it's full of fiber. And then there's the *free* foods, which could definitely tack on another couple of hundred calories.

For me, it just makes me sense to count CALORIES. I mean they're REAL things. No converting necessary. All packaged foods (including LOTS of veggies) come with the CALORIE counts right on there, no deciphering necessary.

I, if you haven't noticed, am a calorie counter. BUT I combine that with steering away from the sugar, flour/white stuff while concentrating on the good, nutritious, voluminous whole foods - sorry, no McChicken thingy's for me. It's not that I think they're awful to eat (well not too much ), but for me they're not filling and satisfying. When adhering to a low end calorie budget you really need to make those calories count and work for you. But that's just me. Wanting to get the biggest bang for my buck so to speak from those calories, ensures that I stay away from too much fat and ensures that I eat very nutritious foods.

No one can really tell you where to go with this. Maybe try the calorie counting for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

You can have a 4oz chicken sandwich on wheat with lettuce, tomato, and mustard at home for 5 points. That's what I love about ww. you can make almost anything fit in your plan. Just make a lower point version at home!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/192/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm new to this sight, 1 month and am trying to lose 110 lbs. I'm 47. Does anyone mind sharing some tips, what works what doesnt. I've lost 16 lbs so far and know I'm in for a long haul. I hope I can have the determination to make it to my goal. Thanks in advance for any tips you can share. I do a lot of reading by never really connect with anyone who has done the same thing and been successful. Thanks in advance for any help my way.... ~Debbie
AEKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEKsMom View Post
I'm new to this sight, 1 month and am trying to lose 110 lbs. I'm 47. Does anyone mind sharing some tips, what works what doesnt. I've lost 16 lbs so far and know I'm in for a long haul. I hope I can have the determination to make it to my goal. Thanks in advance for any tips you can share. I do a lot of reading by never really connect with anyone who has done the same thing and been successful. Thanks in advance for any help my way.... ~Debbie
Hi Debbie and welcome to 3FC. Congrats on the great start!!! I suggest that you start a thread of your own with the same question so that more like minded people will *hear* you. Why not come on over to the 100 lb club where there are loads of folks dealing with the same number of pounds they're wanting to lose and HAVE lost.

Here's the link...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/

Without getting into too much detail, as I don't want to take away from this thread, I'll tell you that the first step for me was DECIDING to do this once and for all and permanently. From there, the next step was to commit do do it, become WILLING to do what was/is necessary to make it happen and then formulate a strategy and a plan of action and set myself up for success by counting calories, ridding my home of the junk, adding in low calorie, delicious, healthy foods that work for me, instead of against me and always having a plan in place - mapping out my food schedule in advance, knowing where each and every meal and snack would be. Losing weight and any amount at any age is a doable thing for any one and everyone yourself included.

You also might want to check out the maintainers forum. Lots of great info from folks who have taken it off and kept if off.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-02-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Work your way around the forums until you find the one that suits you best, you can post in more than one. I guarantee you will get more tips than you can possibly use.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186

18 points seem a little low, but you also have the extra 35 points to use during the week any way you want to. Sometimes I would use 5 extra points a day. You also earn points for exercise, so 18 is the minimum you would have to spend.
goin4health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It's up to you....I've tried both & always wind up coming back to weight watchers. I tend to become obsessive over calorie counting & not with points, go figure lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin4health View Post
18 points seem a little low, but you also have the extra 35 points to use during the week any way you want to. Sometimes I would use 5 extra points a day. You also earn points for exercise, so 18 is the minimum you would have to spend.
Ah, now that add a LOT more food and calories to the picture, Given that 1 point is usually more than 50 calories and all the free veggies that could be LOTS more calories than 1200 a day.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #11  

You don't just have 18 points a day. You could use 5 of your 35 WAPs and earn some activity points besides. 8 points for that sandwich is a lot but 360 calories is nearly 1/3 of your daily calories so no matter how you count it, its not good. I get 18 points a day, I use my WAPs and I'm always full. I don't use my APs unless I need to. It takes planning and permanent lifestyle changes in eating and exercise. If you keep eating the fast food, the weight will be a problem.

Look at the ingredients in a chicken breast a McDonald's - chicken fat and sugar and a long list of other ingredients.

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:
Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn
gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80,
xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.

Not anything I want to eat.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 05-03-2010 at 11:34 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

If weight watchers worked for you before - you may want to stick with that.

But being up 3 pounds over two months. Is it possible you ate more salt then normal the day before? My scale can go up 3 pounds over night depending what I ate the day before. I wouldn't let that number discourage you.

I have been fighting with 30 pounds for 3 years, yes 3 years - and I too have done nothing at all but gain (while trying to lose weight! lol). Please don't be discouraged by 2 months and 3 pounds - it happens to all of us. Just keep going.

Personally, weight watchers does not work for me (spent a lot of money to find that one out). I think like you and your post. I feel like I get more out of calorie counting. I also find myself being more honest with myself when calorie counting; I also like that it costs me nothing. BUT I know a lot of people who find weight watchers better because they need that accountability.

Good luck!

Last edited by sotypical; 05-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Is weight watchers something you can do indefinitely?

It sounds like you need to find something that will work for you for forever. Not just a cycle of gain a few pounds, WW it off, gain a few pounds, WW it off... But it sounds like you don't really have much to lose. (My weight can fluctuate by MORE than 3 pounds in a day.) So, here's a question: what have you been doing to "gain" those 3 pounds? What is your diet like right now? I'd be willing to bet you already have made all those healthy changes and just need a little extra exercise, or less "skip" days. If that's the case, what can Weight Watchers really do for you?

Sorry, I may be coming off a bit biased. Weight Watchers is definitely not for me.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Gold32, WW does have a maintenance program that one can stay on for life. It's not just a cycle of on and off. Just FYI.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Gold32, WW does have a maintenance program that one can stay on for life. It's not just a cycle of on and off. Just FYI.

Jay
My bad! Well that raises new questions, like, does it cost anything to be in the maintenance program? And was the OP in maintenance so far? Perhaps I should stop talking now, since I clearly have no idea what I am talking about!
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote