Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:11 AM   #1  

Default **The Thin Group #93**

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group! We are a great group of ladies (but men are welcome if there are any who care to join us) who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another. Everyone has their ups and downs and we’ll be here with you thru both! Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

Let’s all work together towards a healthier us in 2003!

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: www.geocities.com/hotsprings/sauna/4797
Old 01-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #2  

Hee, Hee, Hee I feel so sneaky!!!

Hello ladies...just popping in for a quick hello. Am pretty tired today as I am getting up every hour of the night to go to the bathroon. I thought that at 13 weeks that stops!!!

Desiree- Don't worry, I think we are all pretty feisty here! And welcome aboard!

Well ladies, I know this was a short one...I did post my bio on the bio thread but, I'm falling asleep.

I will hopefully be more alert tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Sylvia
Old 01-29-2003, 01:41 AM   #3  

Before I fall asleep on the keyboard....I thought I would share a goodie that was sent to me. I don't know who the author is but it's pretty funny

Sylvia

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it .... don't waste them on exercise. Everything wears out eventually. Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer; that's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer? Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?
A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies. What does a cow eat? Hay and corn. What are these? Vegetables. So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system. Need grain? Eat chicken. Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable). A pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable slop.

Q: Is beer or wine bad for me?
A: Look, it goes to the earlier point about fruits and vegetables. As we all know, scientists divide everything in the world into three categories: animal, mineral, and vegetable.
We all know that beer and wine are not animal, and they are not on the periodic table of elements, so that only leaves one thing, right? My advice: Have a burger and a beer and enjoy your liquid vegetables.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have a body, and you have body fat, your ratio is one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of a single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: You're not listening. Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil. In fact, they're permeated in it. How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Definitely not! When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger. You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy? Hello..... Cocoa beans?... Another vegetable!! It's one of the best feel good food around!
Well I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets. Have a cookie... after all, flour is a veggie!
One more thing: ... "When life hands you a lemon, ask for a bottle of tequila and some salt."
Old 01-29-2003, 01:34 PM   #4  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

OK Sylvia - you earned this:

BRAT - BRAT - BRAT - BRAT - BRAT - BRAT- BRAT- BRAT !!!!!!!!!

Good job on starting the new thread. And in case you are wondering Desiree - Brat is a pet name we have for whoever starts the next thread. Way back when, it was always a race (usually between me and Sharon) who started the new thread first! One time I beat Sharon by 1 second! yes, we both posted at the same time, but we went by the time and I got on 1 second sooner - so I made Sharon delete hers! hahaha ... You almost had to be there ... one time Sharon and I were chatting on ICQ and I kept her busy and at the same time started a new thread ... remember Sharon?

Well, got to run ... am still putting stuff into my new computer desk and filing papers and getting stuff ready for our taxes to be done!

I'll be back later on ... Have a great day you all!

Love, CJ
Old 01-29-2003, 06:34 PM   #5  

LOL @ CJ and Sylvia.

I have one question, though. Why do you start a new thread with the number? For example, this thread is titled "The Thin Group #93". What does the 93 mean?

I'm sure I'll catch on you all of you soon enough.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:48 PM   #6  
CJ
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 184/172/130

Height: 5'4

Desiree: The # after The Thin Group represents how many threads ... when we get to 30 posts we always start a new thread so the threads won't be so long - so the next one we start will be #94.

Oh yes, you asked me earler where in Colorado does my daughter live - she is in Englewood, but used to live right in Denver. I have a grandson that is living in Denver at the moment, but I think it won't be long before he moves back home in Kansas with mom - he does not like it where he is at now. Yikes, it just struck me - he is almost your age - will be 23 this year! My grandson! Yikes! My daughter who lives in Englewood is 37 ... my oldest will be 40 this year.

Talk to ya all later... I'm off to have a cup of peppermint tea w/honey. Have an upset tummy that needs "soothing".

Love, CJ

Last edited by CJ; 01-29-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:50 AM   #7  

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Did your grandson go to high school here, or in KS?
Old 01-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #8  

Howdy Ladies!

Just popping in for a quick hello. Nothing new in the weight loss department....not that I'm supposed to lose anymore than I have already. I'm still on the lookout for prenatal water aerobics....hopefully I'll find one soon. I'm actually excited about doing prenatal water aerobics....that's scary, I'm actually excited about aerobics! I'm still going to go to Curves, I go the OK from my doctor so "HELLO LEG WORK!!"

I hope you are all doing well. Here is another little inspirational something that was sent to me. I hope you all enjoy!

Have a great day!
Sylvia

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Small steps to big goals

If you have trouble achieving the big goals, then break them down into
smaller, more manageable goals. If you have trouble getting to work on the
small goals, remind yourself of the bigger goals and purposes to which they
lead.
The big goals are what will drive you, motivate you, and compel you to go
forward. The smaller goals are what will actually move you steadily there.

When you have a big reason to take a small step, you're much more likely to
find a way to take that step no matter what. String those small steps together
and they'll add up to the big, important achievements you so earnestly
desire.

Any accomplishment can be broken down into steps so small as to seem trivial.
But put them all together, and the results are anything but trivial.

Keep putting one foot in front of another, and you can walk a thousand miles
or even more, as long as you're motivated enough to keep going. Stay focused
on those big goals, while persistently working through the small, day-to-day
goals, and anything is within your reach.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 01-31-2003, 01:53 AM   #9  

Sylvia, have you tried your local recreation center? Ours here offers tons of different classes. What about asking your OB for ideas?

Thanks for sharing that little ditty. I'll have to print it out on some pretty paper and plaster it all over my house. LOL!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:30 PM   #10  

Thanks for the advise Desiree. There is a Y about 10 minutes away that has water aerobics but I'm not sure if the'll let a prego in on the classes. I am going to go check it out in a few minutes and then figure out what to do from there. You would think that a City like San Francisco would have all sorts of stuff. I just need to find out where! I'll keep you informed later on tonight!

Have a great day!

Sylvia
Old 02-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #11  

Where is everyone? I know you're out there, I can hear you breathing!

Well, I really don't have anything new going on with me. I'm still in the hunt for prenatal water aerobics. Ladies, I'm trying so hard to eat healthy but it's just so hard when nothing appeals to me. You should have seen my sister (she's 7 months pregnant) and myself on Sunday....we were both sitting in the car asking each other what we wanted to eat since neither one of us was hungry. It was pretty funny since it took us about half an hour to figure out that we wanted eggs(we are strange, what can I say) but and another 10 minutes to figure out where to go have our eggs. Good thing our other sister wasn't there, she would have slapped us for our indecision.

Well ladies, I'm off to feed the doggies! I hope to hear from you guys soon!

Take care,

Sylvia
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 AM   #12  

I'm here! I have been busy with Ethan the past few days, and I have also been trying to fill out postcard invitations for my PamPered Chef party that I am throwing at the end of the month. Man, I always forget how long it takes to fill out invitations! If I had my printer up and running, I could just whip out some tags ... but, nooooooooo! That would be entirely too easy for moi.

I am eagerly awaiting my WW kit. WHERE IS IT?? LOL - can you tell I'm impatient? Should be here sometime this week, though.

I am about to blow myself out of the water! I just ordered GS cookies from two friends of mine who have girls in troops. Oh dear, I can see me downing a whole box! Please hold me back when they arrive, will you??

I have also been invited to a (belated) wedding reception at our dear friend's house. The friend of ours is European, so I think I will have my work cut out for me at his house that night. So many tempations, so little strength! How do you ladies do it?

That's all for me, I'm afraid. Not much to report!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:14 AM   #13  
Mother Hen

Good Morning!

Desiree, you have more to report than I. My life is verrrry uneventful. Too cold to go out of the house.

I'm still making quilts. Have finished one and working on another. I have learned so much about putting a quilt together this last month or so. Now I really appreciate all the work my mother did when I was a kid.

She saved feed sacks and all kinds of scraps of cloth left over from making our clothes. She didn't have a sewing machine so all her sewing projects were done by hand, with just a needle and thread. With all the work I have done using a machine to piece the tops, I can't imagine doing it all by hand. The ladies in those days were really dedicated to their crafts.

Good news about my daughter and grandaughter. My daughter has found a wonderful new partner in her life, has moved to Neb. and started her life over clean and sober and working a job every day! My son gave her custody of her daughter again and she has her living with them in Neb. The D.A. has agreed to drop all charges in exchange for her testimony in court. She has one more court appearance next month then this nightmare should all be over! Thank God!

We're supposed to get some more snow and ice today. I'm hoping Spring gets here pretty soon, beginning to get cabin fever.

I bought some tulips at WalMart a few days ago. They are blooming and smell heavenly. I told Tommy I bought them just for him, haha, now he will have to plant the bulbs in my flower beds he created last year!

Our living arrangement is still working just fine. He stays in his room and I stay in mine. He does the yard work and a couple times a month he cleans the bathroom and mops the kitchen floor.
He buys his own food and cooks, does his own laundry, and loves all my animals! I guess I couldn't find a better roommate, and I don't have to be alone in this old house.

Hugs, Judy
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 PM   #14  

Hello Ladies!

I'm popping in for a quick hello. I have to jump in the shower because I'm meeting a friend for lunch. I wanted to share something that was sent to me! I hope I don't drive you guys crazy with these things! I'll post more later!

Hugs to all

Sylvia

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tips for Maintaining Your Exercise Program
Fitness : Fitness Articles
It's never too late to begin an exercise program. No matter when you start, exercise improves health. Even people who start exercising later in life appear to gain many of the same benefits as people who have exercised their whole lives, according to research by Ralph Paffenbarger, Jr., MD, Professor Emeritus at Stanford University School of Medicine. "At least this is true for cardiovascular disease," he explained.

Physical activity throughout life can help protect against some cancers. For breast and prostate cancer, exercise may help by regulating hormone levels. For colon cancer, physical activity stimulates movement through the bowel, reducing the length of time the bowel lining is exposed to harmful substances.

Many people invest in exercise equipment but find it can be difficult to stick to an exercise program. Before that piece of equipment gets dusty, here are some tips to help keep you on track:

Exercise for the health of it
Rather than working on developing a perfect body, focus on feeling better. Make a decision for yourself and your well being that exercising will help your health.

One step at a time
Begin your exercise program gradually. Don't expect to run a marathon within a month. Exercise should not feel like punishment, so choose the type you are most likely to enjoy. If you try to do activities you dread, you are not likely to follow through. Begin with what is easiest for you.

Set reasonable goals
Know what is realistic for you to accomplish. You are more likely to continue your routine if you fit exercise into your schedule. People often fail because they try to do too much. Pick several small goals instead of one large goal. Start with one area of fitness you want to improve first.

Pace yourself
Exercise does not have to be exhausting. Moderate exercise is better than hard, intense exercise. People who work out in several short sessions (e.g., 10 minutes) are more likely to stick to their fitness program than those who try to work out for 60 minutes at a time.

Be specific and choose variety
Rather than having general goals like "getting in shape" or "exercising more," choose concrete goals such as walking 20 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and doing stretching exercises five minutes each morning. The more variety you have, the more likely you will continue. A well-rounded exercise program that includes aerobic exercise, strength training using weights, and flexibility exercises - even when performed regularly in small increments - is key, according to the American College of Sports Medicine. Incorporate fitness into your lifestyle. Begin to see exercise as an everyday opportunity. For example, use the stairs instead of the elevator, walk during lunch, or bike to work. Combine fitness with your family chores and activities, such as raking leaves or gardening. Join an aerobics class if you want to meet people or have a more structured fitness program.

Motivate yourself
Try visualization techniques to help your motivation. Imagine yourself being in shape and how it feels. Create a vision of yourself looking fit. Rather than focusing on feeling out of shape, picture yourself feeling energized after your workout. Also, reward yourself when you meet each of your goals.

Get a support system
Build a support system of family, friends, co-workers, and/or neighbors. They can help encourage you when your motivation is low. You can also exercise with someone else. Try to find a buddy who shares similar fitness interests. Many shopping malls have mall-walker programs where you can meet others.

Expect setbacks and prepare for obstacles
Things like time, illness, or bad weather may occasionally get in the way. Disruptions are inevitable. Accept them and move on. If you go off your program, you can always adapt and resume. Some exercise is always better than none at all.
Old 02-07-2003, 02:12 AM   #15  

Judy -- I'm afraid I don't know the whole backstory about your family but, from what I can tell, that is INDEED good news about your daughter and granddaughter!! Congratulations!

As far as sewing and quilting and the like, I have no clue where I would begin with such a project. Call it the curse of my generation, but I don't think I know a single soul who knows how to sew that I grew up with. In fact, my mother is coming over this weekend to put some curtains for my living room together, and we will hang them up together. My mom is great at sewing and crocheting! She made Ethan a few blankies while I was pregnant with him.

Sylvia -- You don't drive ME crazy with your posts, but I am a newbie still. Maybe after I have been here a while ... How was your lunch?
Closed Thread