General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Has anyone lived in Costa Rica?

or maybe knows someone who has lived in Costa Rica? Our almost 20 yr old son and his friend popped this surprise on us, they think it would be a fun adventure to live there. I haven't investigated it yet because sometimes their ideas go away the next day but just wondering if anyone here has any input
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I have had a few friends go there on holiday. They came back with mixed reviews. Some loved it, some didn't. You definitely won't get a lot of the luxuries we take for granted in the States... but, at 20 years old they may not care. Maybe travel there for a month and see. I wonder what inspired them. I hope they speak Spanish.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Hi there ... I am from Costa Rica. Rigth now I am on my iphone I willcome back here as soon i got to the compurter.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I spent about 6 months living and volunteering in costa rica. I loved it. I loved the people, the country, the weather. I was amazing. I was in a very rural area, no phones (closest pay phone was 7Km away!), no cell phone reception and 2 cars for the entire village. Most students rode horses to school. It was eye opening to say the least. However, I doubt your son will be in such a remote area.

I highly recommend it. They'll likely head for the more beachy touristy towns, I'm sure wfonseca, will have more info than I do. But Monte Verde, Playa Jaco and the other beach towns will likely be the areas that they'll want to check out. Unfortunately, most of the beach towns aren't all the different from any beach town, USA. But still its an amazing experience and I'd go back in heart beat.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

wow, thank you all for the input! and looking forward to hearing from wfonseca!

we did a little investigating ourselves..from one source, he really should just get a travel visa and visit (as one of you suggested). Just like other countries, they really don't want to encourage anyone without secure employment or housing to just arrive and try to wing it. My son does speak a little Spanish but would do something like Rosetta Stone to bone up before going, and his friend has taken Spanish from h.s. and into college.

We want to support his decision because, well, this is the time to do those things, when you're 20, and I think exposed to other cultures and such does alot to broaden your vision.

And if he changes his mind in a few days, will let you know
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #6  
amazing

S/C/G: 214.5/185.2/115

Height: not quite 5'1"

My old roommate got married to a Costa Rican girl, and they have lived there for just about a year. He absolutely loves it, and the updates I get from them on facebook are fascinating and beautiful. I am going to visit this summer.
HokieLoki is offline   Reply With Quote