Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #1  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Default What is your range that you try to maintain?

I'm finally starting to feel like a maintainer. 145lbs was my original goal, and I bumped it to 140lbs. Now that I'm close to that, I think I'm going to get to 135, level out, and maybe ease back up to 140lbs-ish. I think I'd like to stay between 135-140lbs. I'm pretty sure that 140lbs will be my "red line weight," as in, if I see that on the scale, I know I'll need to tighten the reins and make sure I'm not getting off track. But I can't imagine going too much lower than what I am now. I'm still not a stick thin person, but I'm happy with where I am. I'm a daily weigher, and fluctuations have never bothered me, but if I see the numbers climbing up to or staying at 140, I'll know to lower calories and up exercise a bit.

So I was just wondering, do you have a specific range that you try to stay in? How big is it (within 5lbs? 10lbs?) or do you just have a specific number you don't want to get higher than? How and when did you decide on this range?

Just curious Feel free to direct me somewhere if this question has already been covered.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #2  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hiya! Happy to see you over here!

My original goal was 135 and I thought initially I would set my maintenance range between 133-138. I am now trying to get down to 130 and have 130-135 be my maintenance range. I feel pretty good at 135 and so far it's not a struggle for me to be this weight (i.e. I don't feel like I have to work out extra hard or be super, super strict with my eating to stay here).

Honestly I'm just kind if plugging along and seeing where my weight settles. I still eat exactly like I did while losing and aim for 4-5 days of exercise per week.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I think a 5 lb range is the most common.

My original goal was 130 with a range of 130-135. I maintained there for a while, then gained some back due to thyroid problems. While I was trying to lose the thyroid weight I started strength training and built up a lot of muscle, so that now at my current weight of 138 I fit into all the clothes I wore at 130 before. So I adjusted, and my new "goal" is 135 with a range of 135-140. But if I slack off on the weights and my muscles atrophy and I start not fitting in my clothes, I will have to adjust it down again!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #4  
Year 9 in Maintenance

S/C/G: 271/125/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
So I was just wondering, do you have a specific range that you try to stay in?
How big is it (within 5lbs? 10lbs?)
or do you just have a specific number you don't want to get higher than?
How and when did you decide on this range?
My weight bounces around all the time, mostly due to salt/water/waste issues.
Most months, my morning weight will vary inside a 5 to 8 lb range,
even while being vigilent with my food intake.

The grapic in my signature shows my Maintenance Weight Range in Detail.
I created it shortly before I arrived at my 115 lb goal weight,
to clearly define my objectives and fix them in my mind.
It is been immensely helpful to me the past 4 plus years of my maintenance.

I continually work hard to get and to stay inside my Blue Maintenance area.
The areas under my Blue area haven't really necessary for me,
because losing too much weight is not a problem I can even imagine,
however, it is helpful as an explanation to others who fear that issue.

It also had an immediate effect on my family and friends
because showing it to them answered
their uninformed statements and (sometimes) unspoken questions...
like....
...how long will you keep dieting?
....so what if you gain weight, you're still small...
..when will you be satisfied with your weight?
...when will it be over?
..are just going to keep on going until you disappear?
...are you going to become Anexoric?

My graphic said: Here's my Plan.
and this has been very helpful.
Bright Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I am finding that 145 is where my body wants to be. While I would love 135, I cannot get down there and stay there. Part of it is the heavy lifting I do, most likely, but also my weight creeps up when I get into my summer activity things of running races, training for the duathlon, and tons of biking. Then in the winter it dips back down again.

There are times when I want to really get down to 135, but I don't know as I would be happy at the work that likely will entail not just to get there, but to stay there.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'11"

Default Wow you've really done awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkendrick View Post
I'm finally starting to feel like a maintainer. 145lbs was my original goal, and I bumped it to 140lbs. Now that I'm close to that, I think I'm going to get to 135, level out, and maybe ease back up to 140lbs-ish. I think I'd like to stay between 135-140lbs. I'm pretty sure that 140lbs will be my "red line weight," as in, if I see that on the scale, I know I'll need to tighten the reins and make sure I'm not getting off track. But I can't imagine going too much lower than what I am now. I'm still not a stick thin person, but I'm happy with where I am. I'm a daily weigher, and fluctuations have never bothered me, but if I see the numbers climbing up to or staying at 140, I'll know to lower calories and up exercise a bit.

So I was just wondering, do you have a specific range that you try to stay in? How big is it (within 5lbs? 10lbs?) or do you just have a specific number you don't want to get higher than? How and when did you decide on this range?

Just curious Feel free to direct me somewhere if this question has already been covered.
I don't really have an answer to your question yet, because I am not yet a maintainer. I was wondering though, because you starting wieght and goal are so near to mine, how long did it take you to reach where you are at? I am hoping to lose 2 pounds a week for a while, and relaise towards the end it will get tougher and probably lose only a pound a week or so.

I do know that my best friend. Who is always in great shape. She has a redline number. If she gets over a certain amount she pushes up to work outs and starts counting calories again. She doesnt weigh everyday, I think when she feels like she may have gained weight is when she steps on the scale. Also sometimes before vacations or summer she tries to move towards the lower part of ten pounds below that redline. In the winter months she says she is perfectly comfotable even up to that line. But like I said she doesnt always know her weight, but can tell if its pushing the line. I dont know if its really healthy to swing up and down ten pounds. But it has worked for her for years.
ma26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Gosh in this week alone my weight has been anywhere from 139 to 144! Mine fluctuates wildly it seems. If it's any thing over 143 I immediately go back to 1200 calories that day...no excuses. I like to stay right at 140.

If I know there is going to be a big celebration of some sort. (Holidays, birthdays, parties etc.) I Plan ahead, and stick to my strict calorie counting several days before the event. (Even if I am at 140) That way when I overindulge, I'm not over the top, but right back to were I should be. So far it's been working great for me.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
My weight bounces around all the time, mostly due to salt/water/waste issues..

BA,
I have seen your computer graphic in your signature for a long time now. As I approach my own goal weight, I sat down today to formulate my own weight goals. Colored pens, pencil, and paper. I see why you refer to this visual so often. Asking myself what are my weight ranges and what responses would that trigger was an immensely helpful exercise. I will mull this plan over as goal approaches. Next step is to make a computer graphic I can paste at will into documents or posts but for now, my hand drawn one is quite appropriate.

Thank you for your posts.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #9  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I strive to maintain between 130/1 to 135. Today I'm at 134. I find that if I eat well it's not too hard to stay within my range.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #10  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Angel View Post
My weight bounces around all the time, mostly due to salt/water/waste issues.
Most months, my morning weight will vary inside a 5 to 8 lb range,
even while being vigilent with my food intake.

I created it shortly before I arrived at my 115 lb goal weight,
It is been immensely helpful to me the past 4 plus years of my maintenance.

I continually work hard to get and to stay inside my Blue Maintenance area.
The areas under my Blue area haven't really necessary for me,
because losing too much weight is not a problem I can even imagine,
however, it is helpful as an explanation to others who fear that issue.

It also had an immediate effect on my family and friends
because showing it to them answered
their uninformed statements and (sometimes) unspoken questions...
like....
...how long will you keep dieting?
....so what if you gain weight, you're still small...
..when will you be satisfied with your weight?
...when will it be over?
..are just going to keep on going until you disappear?
...are you going to become Anexoric?

Thanks everyone to the helpful responses! I'm going to have to start hanging out over here more often and start learning. While I realize that the actual practice of maintenance isn't greatly different than losing (careful diet, exercise, etc), the mindset seems to be different. From what I've observed, anyways.

Bright Angel, I also found your graphic to be insanely helpful with putting a visual on my acceptable range, and I also created my own in Paint. It's early identical to yours...would you be offended if put it in my signature? I could credit you for the idea
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 156/119/115

Height: 5'2"

Hi,
I am new here...
I am trying to maintain between 114-120 pounds, since last July. In the fall, and even thru Christmas, I stayed right around 115. But since about two months ago, my weight has been hovering around 118-121. Most recent weigh in last Sunday was 119.4. I would love to be back at 115 and just be able to stay there.
I have been weight training, so perhaps that is why the scales have gone up a little? My clothes all seem to fit okay.
dilynnlew is offline   Reply With Quote